Working Moms

What do you think?

I've been going back and forth with my job situation.  My husband is 100% on board with whatever I choose.

Currently I teach first grade at a school that's about a 45 minute commute one way with no traffic.   I've been there 3.5 years.  I have full benefits at a very reasonable cost to me and I would say it's decent coverage.  I don't like the school I work at for a laundry list of reasons, but I'm established there.

I've been trying to get a job in the county we live in, but haven't gotten one single interview since May.  

We have three foster children placed with us that go to daycare/school by our house.  I have to rush out of work every day to pick them up in time.

I'm considering quitting my fulltime position and getting on the sub list in our current county.  I'm confident I could sub every day if I wanted.  I would lose my benefits and bring home about $300 less per month then I do now.  I do have insurance through my husband, but it's not great. 

If/when we have a baby of our own (we are struggling with infertility) I would probably at least cut down to part-time.  

I'm not sure what to do (I'm still hoping to get a last minute teaching position near home!).   I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

Re: What do you think?

• I'm not a teacher but have many friends who are.  If you want to get into a closer school district, you probably have to start by subbing to get your foot in the door.  Depending on where you live, it honestly could still take a few years to get offered a contract, but you may never even get an interview if you don't start out subbing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jbatchjbatch member
    If you can afford it I would sub in your district to get your foot in the door..

I have a Daughter born 2/26/2013. She is pretty much amazing!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • My DH is a teacher, and the turn over in his district is almost nothing.  Most of the job postings are snapped up by internal candidates.  So even if you subbed to get your foot in the door, is there a possibility that there might be a job for you in the future?  My aunt is also struggling to find a permanent teaching job.  Here in Western Washington, new teaching jobs are hard to come by and have 100's of applicants per opening.

If you can afford the $300 less and the lesser insurance would not affect you, then I would quit and sub.  Make sure his insurance would cover the major stuff and that you could afford what it doesn't cover.  Could there be expensive infertility treatments down the road, also?  On the plus side by subbing, you don't have planning or meetings.   

I'm definitely seeing the plus side of no meetings or planning!  Our insurances don't cover fertility stuff so that's really a nonissue.  My mom is actually funding our latest endeavors at almost 100% because she wants another grandchild :)

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• I would sub if you think it will help you get a job in the other district. Can you just take a leave of absence so you don't lose your seniority or job if subbing doesn't work out?
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"