High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Gd moms- how much have you given up/ changed

I am not sure why but I am having a really hard time with failing the glucose test. I have an appt with an np Monday so hopefully I will get a plan and find out more. I It me it mean s giving up all the foods I like. I love ice cream and have craved it the whole pg. I know everyone is different but have you found you've given up a lot of your favorites foods or is it rode about moderation?

Re: Gd moms- how much have you given up/ changed

• Options
    Knowledge is power in my opinion. I have not made any major changes to my diet other than cutting out soda, juice, and lots of sugar. 
    I really think you will feel much better after your appointment.
    You can eat "just about" anything in moderation and in portion control. A lot of ladies I have met here have ice cream nightly for their after dinner snack. It really depends on what these food choices do to your numbers. 
    Chin up girl! You can DEF eat your ice cream!!! 
    Me; 28 Hubby: 29 - TTC since 5/11 - PCOS Cycle #18-21 Clomid & Trigger & TI = BFN 
    Cycle #22 Gonal-F & Trigger & IUI = BFFP!! EDD 10/4/13 Beta#1 50.5, Beta#2 212, Beta#3 452, First HB 133!!!Logan William born 10/7
  • Options
    What do you drink? Just water?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Water and Milk. Sometimes I do drink sparkling water (water with the flavor and fizz) 

The only other thing I am missing that I used to drink is soda and coffee which I could drink coffee with no sugar creamer but choosing not to. 
    Me; 28 Hubby: 29 - TTC since 5/11 - PCOS Cycle #18-21 Clomid & Trigger & TI = BFN 
    Cycle #22 Gonal-F & Trigger & IUI = BFFP!! EDD 10/4/13 Beta#1 50.5, Beta#2 212, Beta#3 452, First HB 133!!!Logan William born 10/7
  • Options
    I felt that way too before I met with the nutritionist. Now though, I realize I can have pretty much everything in moderation. The hardest things for me to give up have been cereal and fruit. But even those I haven't really "given up", I just eat the smaller portions. Also, I still drink soda, it's just diet. Not ideal, but if I'm really craving it that's my compromise. I still drink decaf coffee, just with sugar free creamer and no sugar, totally fine! I still had cupcakes and fruit at my baby shower, and my numbers were fine. I balanced it with a lot of protein (veggies, cheese) and I made sure to eat the right portion sizes. It's just about eating a lot more protein and making sure your carb portions are the right sizes. And you start to feel physically better after a few days because you aren't eating so much refined sugar. It won't always be super easy, but you can totally do this!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The main thing I've given up is breakfast. I usually enjoyed Dunkin Donuts breakfast sandwiches or donuts a couple times a week.

As for taking this hard, I was the same way. I cried after I got the phone call that I had GD and several times before I met with my doctor and dietician. I felt much better after that, but then it took me a while to figure out how to get my numbers where they need to be. So I definitely have had some bad days that brought me to tears after, but it does get much easier. I really was upset for a good week, so you're not alone.
  • Options
    I haven't given much up at all. I just eat carb laden foods with a good amount of protein and fat. My body only seems to wig out if I eat only carbs. You kinda just have to play around with it and see what works with your body.
  • Options
    It's really just about making good choices and staying within your carb limits. Yeah, there are going to be some things that you can't eat, but you'll get the hang of it, and you'll find that there is quite a bit that you CAN eat, as long as you doing so in moderation.

For example, I wanted pasta last night. So I had a serving of spaghetti, along with a salad and green beans, and no garlic bread (which did make me sad... but moderation). I made sure to drink water afterwards and take a walk, and I was fine. So, depending on what your numbers are, you may have some more wiggle room than you think.

Try looking for homemade, low carb versions of what you enjoy. DH found a homemade, whole wheat, low carb pizza crust recipe that was surprisingly good. 

The other key thing for me is drinking plenty of water. My numbers are only high when I don't do a good job of drinking enough water throughout the day.
  • Options
    Since I've had my new diet and meal plan ideas I've actually given up everything. Literally. I just think of the risks to the baby when I crave something like Ice cream, and let me tell yah I've been having cravings like something bad!!! But in the end I just think if I do indulge, then that sugar will be going through the placenta to the baby and then babies pancreas will be working hard. My nutritionist also scared me with why it is so important to strictly follow the meal plans.. The last thing you want is to have complications at birth, she said in the very rare case it can cause a stillbirth. I mean if you eat ice cream for example, it most likely wont be "worst case scenario" but I just hate the risk. One thing I did cheat on was my bedtime snack I had one piece of thin crust pizza.. I figured cheese was protein to balance the carbs in the crust. But overall I've been following portions and the plan pretty strictly.
  • Options
    I don't do well with meal planning in general so that's been the hardest thing for me.  I just like to graze on whatever sounds good at the time which I can't do anymore.  it's not so bad really but I have craved sweets this whole pregnancy and had to cut most of them out also.  I have found some ice cream bars that fit into my diet so I have one a day for one of my snacks or as dessert with a meal if I can.  i usually have a salad and some sort of carb for lunch (yogurt with fruit which satisfies my sweet tooth, soup or pasta) I mostly drink water or unsweet tea.  and I still can have my chocolate milk with a special k breakfast sandwich in the morning since my fasting and after breakfast numbers are always great.  I stay with prepackaged/portioned items to make it easier on myself.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    also here is what I just had for dinner if it helps : 
    I'm allowed 45-60g carbs for dinner but get best results if I'm closer to 45g

organic prepackaged salad from local grocery store 7g carbs 10g protein
    handful of almonds
    baked macaroni and cheese 2/3 cup (serving size on package) 20g carbs 10g protein
    mint chocolate chip icecream 25 g carbs 5g protein (I buy the small cups so I don't over indulge....I can only eat what's in the cup and nothing more)

it takes time but you will figure out what works for you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was definitely upset when I first found out about having GD. I cried in the phone to my MW, and bawled when I rang my husband to tell him. I was just so disappointed and felt like I had let my baby down. I personally had to give up quite a lot, but the main thing (which I craved a lot) was fruit. My numbers have been difficult to control, so I have had to stick quite rigorously to the diet. And to be honest, after 7 weeks of it I am actually used to it and have lost weight during the 3rd tri, rather than gain. Ultimately if you keep the health of your baby, and yourself in mind, you can do anything for a short time.
    TTC Since March 2010 - 2 angel babies - BFP December 12 EDD 12 Aug 13 Lilypie Maternity tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have given up a ton, but I like to play it on the safe side. Instead of constantly testing what foods work and what foods do not... I just have my go to foods that guarantee low numbers. I don't gamble with sugars or portion control.

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"