Babies: 6 - 9 Months

car seat transition

michantmichant member
edited July 2013 in Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Just curious when you are switching from travel system car seat to a bigger one. 1st time mom and I'm not sure when to do. My lil one is 8mts old and approx. 21lbs. I know she has time in this one but looks so squished. Also what brand did u move up to.

Re: car seat transition

• we plan on switching soon (seat is in the garage, just need to get around to installing it). Our infant seat is to 22lbs, and DS is already 18lbs at 6 months, plus he is starting to look long in it, so we plan on switching soon.

• We switched dd to a bigger seat when we went on a family vacation a couple months ago so she wasn't so cramped in the infant seat and then she wanted nothing to do with the infant seat! Which means we had to go get another convertible for my car. Dd is going on 8 months
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If your LO is sitting up well I say go ahead and switch. We switched DS at 8 months because he was sitting up well and I was sick of carrying the seat around all the time. We switched DD at 4 months because she hated the infant seat. We just keep the old infant seat in the trunk in case she falls asleep and we want to put her in it when we're out.

• We switched to a Safety 1st convertible seat at around 7.5 months. She wasn't happy in the infant seat (much happier now!!).

Baby #3 is on the way! EDD  3/8/15
    DD1--8/29/10
    DD2--11/6/12

• Oh and we have an Evenflo Triumph in both cars. DS used them and now DD does. They are sturdy and have stayed in great shape.

• We switched my son at 5.5 months.  His car seat limits were 30 lbs or 30".  He was 26 lbs and 28".  We are using a Diono Radian RTX and love it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We just did last week. She's in a Graco size4me, it's pretty nice.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • MichieU79 said:

We switched at 5 1/2 months. Jack hated the infant car seat. The convertibe is way roomy for him.

Wow my moms name is michie tooo not common at all
  • As I research more I'm getting more confused. How many car seats booster things is this kid gonna go through? And when do they face forward ugh.....
  • Car seats for the Littles on facebook can help. Your convertible should last you to the rearfacing max if that seat, between 2 and 4 years, the closer to 4 the better. Then forward in that same seat until they reach the max for that, typically 4-6, the you switch to something like the graco nautilus, it's a forward facing harnessed booster. They use the harness function until they outgrow that, then the high back booster part, then the no back booster.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Car seats for the Littles on facebook can help. Your convertible should last you to the rearfacing max if that seat, between 2 and 4 years, the closer to 4 the better. Then forward in that same seat until they reach the max for that, typically 4-6, the you switch to something like the graco nautilus, it's a forward facing harnessed booster. They use the harness function until they outgrow that, then the high back booster part, then the no back booster.

Thank u for breaking that down ;)
  • We just switched my 18 lb dd to a rear facing Foonf and she loves it. The Foonf will lasts dd till she's in a high backed booster, plus the rear facing weight and height limit is high so she'll be able to stay that way for as long as possible.
  • DS never liked the bucket (as we call it), so as soon as he was able to sit up in a stroller and shopping cart decently well, we switched to a convertible. We got a Safety 1st model, same we got for DD because we like hers so much. DS was about 6 months when we switched. He was about 21, 22 pounds and looking squished in the thing as well.

We switched DD a bit later because she has low-normal muscle tone and did not sit up well until about 8 months. We switched her then.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I just discovered LO needs to be switched now. I knew the Keyfit had a 30 lbs weight limit but I didn't remember the height (30") until I saw it here. Little man is already 29". Guess it's on my weekend project list now. I have his brother's old Britax Boulevard waiting in the garage. Good thing I bought DS1 his 3 in 1 harness to booster last month!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"