Natural Birth

Questions to ask a Doula?

Hi ladies, I know this has probably been asked on here before, but I went back a few pages and didn't see anything.

So I have 3 great choices for doulas and I'm meeting them all within the next several days to determine if they're a good fit. I think my issue might be making a decision between them all (of course that's only if I vibe with them all). They all seem really great so far over the phone and are super responsive to me via email. They also come highly recommended from my Bradley teacher. 

Do you all have any recommendations for good questions to ask so I can make a better decision?

I will definitely be asking about what they'll do if I ask for an epidural, how they'll handle me in transition (who knows what I'm going to be like), different techniques or positions they like to try, etc.

But what else should I be asking them to determine who's the best fit?

TIA!
Oct 13 April Siggy: Bunnies
The 33 Most Important Bunny GIFs On The Internet

DS born on 9/30/13 from IVF #1.2!
  Lilypie - (xNS5)

Re: Questions to ask a Doula?

• I went based on vibes.  The main question I had for my doula was how she would handle me if I 'thought' I could no longer do it.  She gave me a positive, straightforward answer which was what I was looking for.  I wanted to be sure she would be strong and encouraging when I was doubting myself.  I would also suggest asking them if they have worked with the MW/OB you are using, have they worked with patients at the hospital you are delivering at, how she will incorporate/work with your H during labor. I wanted my H to be my main support so I wanted a doula who would support him in supporting me.  GL!
  • All of what the PPs have mentioned. Also, since my husband was somewhat hesitant to hire I doula I asked (he was there too but I asked most of the questions) how would she support my husband during my labor. I also knew that all the potential doulas had children, so I asked what their child care plan was for when I go into labor. I asked what alternative methods she would suggest to me during labor.
    A lot of it was vibe though, and luckily my husband and I were on the same wavelength in picking the same person!
    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"