Natural Birth
Options

Those of you who took EPO orally

For mobile: Those of you who took EPO orally only.... Do you think it helped at all? I am having a hard time with the idea of sticking it way up in there internally so I was wondering if anyone just went the oral route and had any luck?

Re: Those of you who took EPO orally

• Options
    Ftm, so I can't say if it has. And I haven't been checked yet. I take two capsules orally, and one vaginally.

And I have the same issue, it's hard with a big belly. But my midwifes said not to worry about getting it too close to your cervix. So I don't worry about getting it too far up, I just wear a pad to bed at night and do it while laying down. And I nick the top of it with scissors. I just do my best.

Or you can have your SO to help?

The way I figure it, it can't hurt. Anything I can do to help ripen things along, I'm down!
  • Options

imagevcabbyw:
    Ftm, so I can't say if it has. And I haven't been checked yet. I take two capsules orally, and one vaginally. And I have the same issue, it's hard with a big belly. But my midwifes said not to worry about getting it too close to your cervix. So I don't worry about getting it too far up, I just wear a pad to bed at night and do it while laying down. And I nick the top of it with scissors. I just do my best. Or you can have your SO to help? The way I figure it, it can't hurt. Anything I can do to help ripen things along, I'm down!

Yeah same here! I probably could get him to help. Do you get up to pee a lot in the night? I am wondering if I insert it, then go pee the 5 times I go in the night, it wont do any good.. lol

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I get up a lot to pee! That's why I snip the end, I figure that most of its out of the capsule fairly quickly. I haven't noticed a huge change in my discharge, no oily spots, and I haven't seen the capsule in the toilet yet. But I'm not looking that diligently.

I don't know the effectiveness of orally vs internally, there's not a whole lot of studies out there anyhow for it. But if its rich in prostaglandins like semen is, then to makes more sense for it to work better internally. Which is why they say having sex can help ripen, not oral sex!
  • Options

At my practice we recommend it to all of our FTM's starting at 36 weeks until birth. I think it helps. The dose is 4500 mg total daily  (1500mg 3 x a day) orally. Seems like a lot I know, but we deliver 1400 babies a year & so far so good.

TTC since 1/2008
    BFP 7/2009 m/c
    BFP 9/2009 m/c
    Clomid IUI 12/2010, 1/2011, 2/2011 All BFN
    IVF #1 6/2011 BFN, no frosties
    IVF #2 2/2012 BFP
    DD born 10/2012
    FET 9/3/2013 BFN, no more frosties
    IVF # 3 11/3/13 Canceled after retrieval d/t severe OHSS, 3 frosties
    FET #3 2/2014 BFP Twins!
    B/G Twins born 9/2014 at 36w4d

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    dmhrn13 said:

At my practice we recommend it to all of our FTM's starting at 36 weeks until birth. I think it helps. The dose is 4500 mg total daily  (1500mg 3 x a day) orally. Seems like a lot I know, but we deliver 1400 babies a year & so far so good.

Oh wow! Good to know! My midwife just told me that I should start taking 3 orally and insert 4 vaginally. I thought that seemed like a lot but I guess not. I'm excited to start it.

• Options
    AACaHa13AACaHa13 member
    edited July 2013
    vcabbyw said:
    Ftm, so I can't say if it has. And I haven't been checked yet. I take two capsules orally, and one vaginally.

And I have the same issue, it's hard with a big belly. But my midwifes said not to worry about getting it too close to your cervix. So I don't worry about getting it too far up, I just wear a pad to bed at night and do it while laying down. And I nick the top of it with scissors. I just do my best.

Or you can have your SO to help?

The way I figure it, it can't hurt. Anything I can do to help ripen things along, I'm down!
    Hey! How many mg are you taking orally? And how many weeks are you? I don't see a siggy!

• Options
    My midwives also recommended to start at 36w, which I did with my son. He was born spontaneously at 41w1d with a 31 hour labor, so I cannot say that it did much for me as a FTM.

I started again at 36w with this baby, but decline cervical checks so I don't know if it is helping. I am 39w and take 1000 mg. of Borage Oil twice per day -- once orally in the morning and once vaginally at night. Borage Oil has a higher amount of GLA, which is converted to prostaglandins in the body. 

I also pee about 500 times per night and there haven't been any issues. Good luck! 
    Monique (38), Wife to Steve (32), Mom to DS Sacha (4), DS Ronen due Aug. 1st! BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"