Working Moms

Trusting others to care for LO

Last week nanny called in sick. SIL was able to keep my 10 month old LO for the day, but had an afternoon appointment so dropped LO off at step MIL's for an hour. When SIL returned, SMIL was laying on the floor asleep! She had the stairs blocked off, but nearby doors to bathroom and other rooms were wide open. SIL started packing LO up, and SMIL awoke 10 minutes later, and acted nonchalant. Also, LO had gum stuck to his leg, and there was gum out within his reach.

I am so furious. LO is extremely mobile and puts everything in his mouth, and this was very clear to SMIL. He could have been seriously hurt or worse.

Obviously SMIL is not being left alone with LO again, but I am struggling with the thought of even leaving him with SMIL and FIL together.

Would you say something? Would you leave LO alone with SMIL if FIL was also going to be there? And how do you figure out who can be trusted to watch your LO? Obviously I would not have left him with her if I had known that would happen, so now I am struggling with how to decide who to trust.
BFP #1: 2/14/11. EDD: 10/20/11. Missed m/c discovered in April at 12 weeks, d&c. BFP #2: 12/27/11. EDD: 9/9/2012.

Re: Trusting others to care for LO

• The answer to your question depends on how reliable FIL is. I have a similar situation in that my FIL is an alcoholic and so I would never leave DD with just him. However, MIL is pretty on top of things so we have left DD with both of them or just her from time to time. 

I your situation I would not leave LO with FIL and SMIL if you wouldn't leave LO with FIL alone.
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Can you ask SMIL why she fell asleep?  Or did SIL ask?  If there was a reason and that reason wasn't going to happen again, then I may try it again.  If there isn't an answer that you feel comfortable with, then probably not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, that would not be acceptable and I think you should talk to her & let her know that. Still it shows a general lack of good judgment. L ike pp said, whether I would leave LO again would depend on how reliable FIL is.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • aeh72aeh72 member

Do you feel comfotable having a conversation with your SMIL about what happened? It doesn't have to be overly accusatory, but just tell her SIL let you know that she had fallen asleep while watching LO and you're concerned because LO is into so much stuff right now, even when he's in "safe" areas, you still have to watch him like a hawk.  I think it's worth pointing out to her.  It was totally unacceptable.

In terms of leaving LO with her and your FIL, I think it depends on who is going to be "in charge" when watching LO.  For example, I trust both my parents together to watch DS, but I know my mom is in charge and knows what to do and what not to do. My dad is there for extra hands and to have fun with DS (although I do believe he would take his safety very seriously; he's just not as used to caring for babies.)  If your FIL is going to defer to SMIL, that would make me think twice about leaving LO with both of them. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am very picky about who cares for the children before they can talk, for reasons just like this.  I would consider it a big deal, but would have DH talk to FIL first to get the lay of the land.  Then formulate a plan regarding speaking to them about it or just make your decision. 
  • Thanks everyone! While I would trust FIL with LO, I think that he generally defers to SMIL to care for LO when they have him.

I think we do need to talk to them. My biggest concern was not wanting to 'out' SIL for telling me that SMIL was sleeping.
    BFP #1: 2/14/11. EDD: 10/20/11. Missed m/c discovered in April at 12 weeks, d&c. BFP #2: 12/27/11. EDD: 9/9/2012.
  • 2chatter said:
    I am very picky about who cares for the children before they can talk, for reasons just like this.  I would consider it a big deal, but would have DH talk to FIL first to get the lay of the land.  Then formulate a plan regarding speaking to them about it or just make your decision. 
    This. I am extremely picky about who watches my kids. What your SMIL did would be an immediate dealbreaker for me. Find out how involved FIL would be and then decide.
    natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That is awful! I would be pretty pissed and would say something.
  • I get the awkwardness about outing her.  Would it make you feel better if you told SIL you were going to have the convo with them before you have it?  Then she can jump in if she is worried. 
  • Yes, will definitely make sure SIL knows before we talk with them. I want to respect the fact that she put herself out there by outing SMIL, and don't want to break her trust.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"