Food Allergy
Options

Newly diagnosed with multiple food intolerance

I am new to the bump & am doing a lot of research. My hubby & I have been trying for baby #1(2) for well over a year. I am turning 29 this month & I have expressed many concerns to my new OB (Previous Ovarian cysts, IBS & endometriosis) & she seems to think I have nothing to worry about. She did order an HSG after my 2nd visit of being concerned.That came back fine & now suggests the semen analysis. My hubby has a son from a previous relationship. My stepson will be 9 this year & I understand things could have changed with my hubby since then but with all of the issues I have I feel like it's me. I also recently found out through my dietitian/GI that I have multiple food intolerance's & that could be our problem with trying to conceive. I already want to change OB's because I feel her bedside manner was not great & for the way my concerns were "Pushed under the rug" & I'm not even pregnant yet. I would have to select another OB from the same practice due to my insurance which makes me nervous "breaking up" with my new OB already. Has anyone else had problems or have heard of issues with conception due to food allergy/intolerance? 

Re: Newly diagnosed with multiple food intolerance

• Options

On various message boards I've read that untreated celiac or gluten intolerance can cause infertility. It's worth researching and trying out!

On another note, I switched from an ob to a midwifery practice about halfway into my pregnancy and it was a wonderful choice for me! If you are unhappy, look for a new practitioner now! 

Good luck to you!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The idea of food intolerances and alleriges being related to infertility has a strong correlation from what I can find. It kind of makes sense: if you aren't digesting food properly and getting the proper nutrients then you can't support a fetus. The food intolerances are more than likely the cause of the IBS as in the mid-2000s the AMA officially stopped recognizing that syndrome. Basically they said it was a syndrome that meant doctors were unwilling to do the necessary legwork to get an actual diagnosis of something being wrong.

I have multiple food intolerances and we kept me on the pill for a long time while working out the food issues simply to not through a pregnancy into the mix of symptoms. It took a LONG time for a GI doctor to work with me for the diagnosis I got. However, a year or two after we got things with my gut really calmed down it didn't take much for me to end up pregnant. 

As with any doctor -- you are paying them for a service, if you aren't getting the service you deem adequate for any reason then you have the right to go somewhere else. That's one thing the f'd up medical system in the US has going for it. If you have issues or concerns and a doc isn't responding how you'd like then let them know. If they continue to not really address issues with you then fire them. The best docs will be willing to be a team with you to get you the care you deserve.

It isn't a smoking gun, but I hope this helps.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I suspect I might be intolerant to several things - how can I get tested? Or is it more of a trial-and-error process?

Also, does intolerant mean the same thing as allergic? 

AGM
  • Options
    My GI referred me to a dietitian & we began doing an elimination diet along with blood & fecal testing to determine which foods I was testing high in. From my understanding there is a difference between the allergy & intolerance. The allergy is an immediate reaction & the intolerance is a delayed reaction. Most of my issues have been intolerance. I was getting sick all the time, not feeling well after I eat, having a hard time with bowel movements, etc. It has been well worth my efforts so far just still struggling getting to a point where I can conceive. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice & tips! Much appreciated!
  • Options
    I got pregnant with my third after I became a vegan, there is more to the story, but I swear the 6 weeks of a vegan diet put my body in an ideal state to nurture a fetus.  (I also had an IUD, but that is a completely separate part of the story.)  Another friend who had tried for 10 years to get pregnant got pregnant after going all organic/all natural.  I am not an expert, but I am a huge advocate of dietary change when my friends tell me they are struggling to get pregnant.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"