Babies on the Brain

Too Early to Buy for a Baby?

Hello-

A quick intro: I am 23, and my husband and I have been married for just over a year. We have a dog and recently bought a home. Ever since our 1 year anniversary (we dated for 5 years before we got married) I have had baby fever!! We've always talked about what we wanted to name our children, how we hope to raise them, etc. But I know that he is not ready to TTC for awhile, and that's okay. But I have been researching everything for baby. I know exactly what I want and what pattern I want! So here's my question. Although we're about 2 years from even TTC, I have a strong urge to purchase baby items and be prepared. I am also deathly afraid that the gender-neutral but gorgeous Graco pattern I am head over heals with will be long since discontinued by the time I'm pregnant. And I am not supersticious at all! My thought is, if we have the money now, why not spread the finances out a bit on baby stuff? Is it too early for me to purchase some of these items now, to store until we are ready for a bundle of joy? 

Thanks for your input! :)

Anniversary

Re: Too Early to Buy for a Baby?

• I would wait on the big stuff because you never know what might happen between now and then.  Tastes change, circumstances change, and you might decide by then that you want super girly/boyish stuff.  If you want to get cute little things, like a certain outfit you're falling in love with, I'd say that's ok because it'll help ease that "I need to buy baby stuff" ache.  Also, if you're worried about $ circumstances changing, open a savings account for all things baby and start putting money into it.  That when, when you do get pregnant, you'll have the funds to buy the really pretty new patterns that Graco has :).

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• I was just talking about this with my husband the other day. Mainly for financial reasons, instead of spending thousands all at once. We wouldn't get any big ticket items like a crib or stroller simply because we would have nowhere to store them, and we wouldn't actively go looking for stuff to buy, but if we're out shopping we could maybe pick up a diaper bag that we happen to see on sale, etc. In the end though, we decided against it, at least not until we're a little closer to being ready. Just seems a little premature. And slightly crazy. LOL.

Besides, my tastes change all the time. Right now I want to be team green until the baby is born which means I'll be buying gender neutral everything. Who knows if I'll still feel that way when we start TTC. I also used to love the name Jayden for a little boy and now I hate it. Maybe you won't like that Graco pattern down the line. Or maybe you'll find something you like even better. I say wait. No sense purchasing items that will simply be gathering dust.

Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Well,  since you are not TTC right now I would wait.  There are some things that are only good for a few years like car seats.  Plus you might love a pattern now but in two years might hate it.  I would not even start looking at things for baby right now if you are not going to TTC soon, all that will do is make you want to start sooner than you want too.

It can also take a healthy couple a year to get pregnant so if you are going to wait 2 yrs to TTC that means it could be 3 or more before you are pregnant.  By then they might have a lot more things for you to chose from.

This is all my opinion, good luck on what you decide!!! 

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I personally would wait. If it was a few months before TTC maybe but even then I would wait until a BFP. So much can happen.

Totally your call though!

• RaeilyRaeily member
    I would definitely wait. You have no idea what you're going to "Love" in two years. And even then there are safety recalls, etc. 
    Anniversary

• JamparJampar member
    I say go for it! You're 23 and will likely have friends, sisters, cousins that may appreciate a nice gift if you decide not to keep it. You know your taste and you may be kicking yourself later if you don't get it.

I've had baby fever since January and my STD does not take effect until May. In the mean time I have picked out color schemes for a boys room and for a girls room. I love planning so when I get an idea I work on projects for my rooms.

I found that it helps to write things down. I have a journal for my baby ideas. I don't even think my husband knows about it but it keeps me from talking baby all the time with him.

Also, if its a car seat I say wait (they expire from what i read). But, a pack and play would be convenient if you have guests at your house.
  • If you start buying now and then run into IF issues when you do start TTC, your purchases will haunt you.  I'd go with the savings account thing, make up a wish book, and then go crazy when you do get your BFP.

My Blog: Sewing, crafting, motherhood, computers, and random musings... Sleep is for the weak

• I would have to say that I agree on waiting to buy things.  I know how you feel had the same feelings and repressed most of them, but purchased a onesie when we first started trying.  Two years later found that onesie in drawer and cried for an hour.  As other posters have said, you have no idea what lies ahead for you and your path to a baby, but starting to buy now could lead to serious emotional distress down the line.  I would also say that if you start filling your home with baby stuff two years before your Dh wants to start trying he might feel as if he is being pressured to start ttc sooner.  Also agree about the savings account, we started one soon after we were married and put x in every month, by the time we finally did pg we had so much were able to splurge on some baby items and that ended up being the one bonus about how long it took us to get pg.  Having said all of this its your call, but just thought I would share my experiences.

TTC#1 May 2009- July 2010 on our own with no luck

Started with RE in August 2010, dx with unexplained IF and then finally our 3rd IUI cycle using Follistim and Trigger resulted in our wonderful little man.  Born 12/2/11

TTC#2 Never really prevented, but were careful early on as Dr. reccomended

Surprise BFP 12/16/13, started progesterone immediately as first numbers came back low, but betas were good.  Progesterone wasnt enough. Natural MC 12/24/13.

Back with RE as of January 2014...

5/27/14- Chemical Pregnancy :(

April 2015 IVF#1

5/13/15- BFP, please stick LO!

Oh and I'm a major Harry Potter Nerd :)

Silly mugglesimage

• It is to early for big ticket items or safety items such as car seats, cribs, strollers ect. Baby items are recalled all. The. Time. And I would hate to have put down 300 on a stroller to find out it had be recalled.

If you are out and find a onsie on sale that you love or sonething like that I think that would be ok to purchase.

The other option would be to do as others have said open a savings account and put a little extra cash in it until you are ready to TTC or have gotten a BFP
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Whoa, slow your roll. We have had 3 losses in our ttc journey. There have been many on this board who have never gotten pregnant after years of trying. Those adorable baby items could bring more pain than joy in the future. I love some of the patterns on our baby gear, but there are still some items I wish I could swap for the newer version. Wait until you are actually pregnant. For now, open a savings account.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"