April 2013 Moms

Birth control pill while breastfeeding

Anyone know a pill you can take while breastfeeding? I know your not supposed to be able to get preggo then but I know people who have. I am extremely fertile lol, i got preggo on first try and dont want to get preggo again right away!
First time Momma to be! Due April 5th!

Re: Birth control pill while breastfeeding

• You CAN get pregnant while breastfeeding, even if you don't have your period yet!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Yes, the mini-pill.  I took it while nursing DS.  I can't remember which brand I was prescribed, but your doctor will know.  It isn't as effective as the combination pill, so we used the pull out method and/or a condom in addition to exclusively breastfeeding and the minipill.  Probably a little bit of overkill, but it worked for us.  Once I stop nursing I'll go back on the combination pill again.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • After I had DD, I took one shot of depo provera, then stuff happened and I never went back for more, or went on other b/c. But, with that said, the three months I was on depo, I didn't see any issues with breastfeeding or milk production.
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My doctor said that you are even more fertile if you do breastfeed.
  • We just talked about post-partum contraception in my centering group today.  The midwife said that hormone based contraceptives CAN decrease your milk production, so she recommends using a barrier method for the first 4-6 wks until your milk is established.  After that, there's less chance of milk problems.

She also mentioned that DepoProvera has the highest interference with milk production because it's a huge dose of progesterone.

* TTC since 2010; Me-36, DH-40
    * Diagnosis of PCOS in 2011 (suspected since teens)
    * Miscarraige September 2011; XY with Trisomy 15
    *November 2011 - January 2012 - 3 cycles of Femora - BFN x 3
    * 2/12 and 4/12 Tamoxifen - no response
    Planned to start Follistim for COH August '12 but...
    Surprise!! BFP! And it's a girl!!

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 5:9
    baby d'oh, no ID
    D'Oh!
  • Yup the mini pill. it has no estrogen in it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I took the "mini pill" which I believe is estrogen-only.  

FWIW, I started it when I was told to by my OB (at 8 weeks post-partum I think so we didn't have "Irish Twins") but went off it when DD was one since we said that's when we'd start trying again.  But I was still nursing the whole time and my period didn't come back until DD was about 20 months and I was only nursing 1x a day.  Two cycles then my BFP :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageleasaj:
    My doctor said that you are even more fertile if you do breastfeed.

Pretty sure this is nonsense.

Yes, you can get PG while BFing.  I have friends who have had it happen.  But, they were not nursing full time anymore at that point.  BFing is a natural --but not reliable--contraceptive.  So don't depend on it, but yeah, it's harder to get KU'd again until you stop or are nursing less.   

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagevthokie317:
    You CAN get pregnant while breastfeeding, even if you don't have your period yet!!!

Looks down at ticker - Why yes, yes you can :D

As to answer OP's question, I believe they recommend the micro-pill to nursing mothers.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Breastfeeding is not a form of contraceptive I was still nursing full time with no cycle and got pregnant when my little guy was only 6 months old
  • I am on depo.
    My Dr said it's estrogen combo pills that cause lactation issues in about 40% of women. Not worth the chance to me.
  • Actually, breastfeeding can be a good form of birth control. It's called the the Lactational Amenorrhea Method, and it can be more reliable than some other forms of birth control. I wouldn't trust it because there are too many factors involved but just mentioning it (in light of the more fertile comment above). I'm on the mini-pill and haven't seen any drop in supply.

https://kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility/
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mini pill here. Plus we pull out. Plus H got a vasectomy on Friday. If I get pregnant, it will be an act of God. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yes you can. The most recent data (within the past year) supported that you can take combination pills once your milk is established. If you really struggle with milk production, I would talk with your doctor about other options. Oh, and I fully plan to get pregnant while BFing... not "on purpose" per se but yeah I'm apparently ridic fertile too.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"