VBAC

Changing My Mind...

I am 14 weeks pregnant with my second child.  At my first prenatal visit, my NP asked if I wanted to schedule another C-Section or if I wanted to attempt a VBAC.  With my daughter, my water broke prior to any labor symptoms, and it didn't progress well.  at 21 hours in, she was still sunny-side up and wouldn't turn, so my OB/GYN said it was probably time for a C-Section, although if I wanted to attempt a VBAC with future pregnancies, I would be a good candidate.  The NP, who my husband and I really like and trust, looked at my chart again and said with the labor progression (or lack thereof) with my daughter, a scheduled C-Section was probably a good idea.  I left thinking that it was settled.  After talking to our families who were, of course, on opposing sides, we did some research.  I have to say, I'm leaning towards at least attempting a VBAC, but I'm so nervous.  We have some time to figure it out, but we like to plan.  Advice?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
December Siggy Challenge:

A Charlie Brown Christmas

imageimage

Re: Changing My Mind...

• IMHO and experience, the pros of a VBAC by far outweigh the cons. I much enjoyed that I recovered faster from a VBAC than I could from a CS. I was able to hold and carry DD1 without fear of tearing open my incision. BFing was much more comfortable as DD2 was not bumping into the insicion. And I very much loved being able to sneeze, cough, and laugh without keeling over in pain.

It is ultimately you and your doctor's decision in the end, no matter anyone else's opinion.

"What are you having?" "Well the radiologist says its a healthy little human baby. I'm a little disappointed, because I really wanted a puppy." LOL
  • I want to echo everything pp said and add that ever pregnancy is different.  Also, I believe I had read before that labor progression is affected by the baby's position, so if you lo is in a better position this time, your chance of having a vbac is greater.
  • Loading the player...
  • From everything I have read and all of the information I have gotten from my midwives and Doula...One of the most important things for a labor to progress well is good positioning of the baby. Every pregnancy is different so you have a very good chance this baby will be in a better position.

Personally, I had pre-e and extenuating circumstances different from you that also impeded my labor progression, but the fact that DD was posterior and had her head arched back instead of tucked to her chin was one of the major reasons I did not progress and ended up with a c-section.

I will defintiely attempt a VBAC should I have another pregnancy. My midwives were very positive when we discussed the possibility after DD was born.  And I plan to do everything in my power (exercises, actupuncture, chiropracter, good posture) to ensure that baby is in a good position for labor and birth this time around.

Also, it is possible that DD could have moved if I would have been allowed to freely labor (walk/stand etc.) but due to the pre-e I was not allowed out of the hosiptial bed. So even if you enter labor with the baby in a less then favorable position you can do things to improve the situation and your VBAC chances even at that point.

Good luck with your decsion. My C-section experience was honestly quite horrible so it is something I do not want to repeat unless absolutely necessary.

• Thank you for the advice!  I'm starting to feel like I can do this!  We still have some research to do, but I'm not as terrified of it as I once was.

imageimage
  • Check out spinningbabies.com.  I have had 4 VBACs, the last one at home.  In my experience the more prepared you are and the more armed with information, the more you have a chance of a successful VBAC.

(OT, are you McGuireMommy because you are stationed there?)

• (OT, are you McGuireMommy because you are stationed there?)

No, it's our last name.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"