C-sections
Options

Plus-sized mommas and cs

I'm a plus sized momma who will be having a second cs in the next few months.  I had a little extra challenge during my healing from my first cs because of my belly.  I know I'm going to face that again.  Any mommas out there with similar body challenges who have strategies for keeping things wholesome and dry while healing?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Plus-sized mommas and cs

• Options
    I'm not PS but my OB suggested I put a pad in my panties to keep any moisture away.  I would also use a blow dryer on low when I got out of the shower.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    I am plus sized and in October will have csection #5. If your Dr. does not do it already, ask for glue and stitches to close you up. I healed so much better when they used those than staples.

Also ask for a postpartem belt. My hospital had them. Call and see if they do. If not, invest in one. You only really use it for a month, but let me tell you, it made a HUGE difference the 2 times I used one. I wish someone had told me about them before. You can start using it the day after Csection and the nurses can help you use it. It works best if used in the first 2 weeks. The wrap around kind is what they suggested. Like this https://www.amazon.com/Gabrialla-Breathable-Elastic-Abdominal-Binder/dp/B000WFT3II/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374278807&sr=8-2&keywords=postpartum+belt

About keeping dry, like PP said, use a pad. I had never heard of it and previous OB's had told me to just blot with a clean, dry washcloth several times a day. Last Csection they actually put a pad there for me. So I asked them about it. I guess in this area it is common for plus sized mama's. Awesome! Their super long pads worked perfect. Just tuck it into the roll you will have there. My PP belt helped hold that in place too.
    DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It took me going to the hospital with an infection for me to get some suggestions on what to do with the incision.  I used a hair dryer when I got out of the shower and then used a gauze pad to keep it dry and changed it a couple of times a day for the first few weeks.  I am having my second section in less than a month and will try the pad suggestion from previous posters.  It seems like a bit less work!  Good luck!
  • Options
    jennOKjennOK member
    I have a little extra in the tummy area, and I have had a horrible time healing. I am a month PP and I'm still nowhere close to being healed. I bled out in my stomach though and all that fluid and blood just sat in my tummy. Now it's having to drain before my external incision can completely heal. That being said, I also am using a hair dryer, pads and gauze to catch drainage and keep it dry. I have held off infection by washing it at least twice a day with soap and water, and I also wipe it down and clean the area several more times a day with just water, pretty much every time I go to the bathroom.
  • Options
    tig594tig594 member

Because I am diabetic and have some extra tummy there, too, I got a yeast infection on my scar after my c/s.  Talk about itchy!!  My OB prescribed some talc based powder.  I also washed it a lot.  Not sure if baby powder would irritate a fresh incision or not.  

Good luck!  : ) 

• Options
    Thank you, Everyone!  I've got some great things to discuss with my OB. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

A pad is a great idea - I just used gauze cloths, and kind of tucked them in under my belly roll/flap, after using anti-bacterial body wash.  I didn't scrub the area directly, but I let the soap from the rest of my body stream down over my incision; blotted dry with towel, put the gauze in place, and wore underwear that were pretty high waisted to keep stuff in place!

Most people have great luck with the belly band or other such binders but I didn't really wear mine.  I healed up great - at my two week appt, my doc said "man, you heal up nice!"  No issues at all.  I'm a 16/18 FYI.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"