September 2013 Moms

let's talk about weight gain?

my doctor is pressuring me to put on weight because i'm still -1 pre prego weight. But I also have GD so this advice is a little confusing to me.... how much weight has everyone else put on so far? should i be concerned?
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: let's talk about weight gain?

• I was 122 lbs before pregnancy being 5'6 and I have put on 34 lbs and dr is very happy with it since my entire life it been so hard for me to gain weight and keep it on
    Baby#1due
  • imagejilliancroteau:
    I was 122 lbs before pregnancy being 5'6 and I have put on 34 lbs and dr is very happy with it since my entire life it been so hard for me to gain weight and keep it on

good job! i was overweight to begin with (223) and 5'3" so i was in the range to gain 10-15 lbs and I figured that would be tough to only gain that much but i'm actually having a hard time gaining what I need to even. so weird! 

• Loading the player...
  • I've put on 26 pounds as of last week at my check up. I was 30 weeks. My doctor told me my goal weight gain should be around 25 pounds, so it looks like I'll go a little bit over.
  • imagestv19932:

imagejilliancroteau:
    I was 122 lbs before pregnancy being 5'6 and I have put on 34 lbs and dr is very happy with it since my entire life it been so hard for me to gain weight and keep it on

good job! i was overweight to begin with (223) and 5'3" so i was in the range to gain 10-15 lbs and I figured that would be tough to only gain that much but i'm actually having a hard time gaining what I need to even. so weird! 

My dr told me if you are considered overweight then the new guidelines say that you shouldn't gain any weight in your pregnancy....if your a normal weight then 1520 lbs and underweight obv more weight
    Baby#1due
  • imagejilliancroteau:
    imagestv19932:

imagejilliancroteau:

My dr told me if you are considered overweight then the new guidelines say that you shouldn't gain any weight in your pregnancy....if your a normal weight then 1520 lbs and underweight obv more weight

This is what I was told too. I was 'overweight' per my bmi but really only by like 5 lbs. I was still told to gain only 15. I don't believe in watching the scale, I believe in eating healthy and moderate activity. If you have GD I'm assuming your diet is pretty healthy now...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejilliancroteau:
    imagestv19932:

imagejilliancroteau:

Which new guidelines was your doctor referring to? I will mention them to my doc after checking them out. I was told that average healthy weight gain for someone of my size prepreg is between 2535. I'm at 27 now and my doc is happy. If your doc thinks you should gain weight and you agree try adding fat filled yogurt and cheeses to your diet. How is your baby measuring?
  • Which new guidelines was your doctor referring to? I will mention them to my doc after checking them out. I was told that average healthy weight gain for someone of my size prepreg is between 2535. I'm at 27 now and my doc is happy. If your doc thinks you should gain weight and you agree try adding fat filled yogurt and cheeses to your diet. How is your baby measuring?

(sorry the quote button wasn't working)

My little guy is measuring 4 lb 10 oz and they said he's right on track to be 8 lbs at birth which is good. I have very mild GD as of right now, only on insulin at night. Just trying to find out why my doctor told me I should gain weight if the new guidelines are to gain no weight. 

• I was 145 pre pregnancy and I am 5'2. They told me alright to gain about 25 pounds. Today I am 32 weeks and at my check up I weighed 159. I also have GD and they didn't want me to lose weight, which I did when I first went on the GD diet. They told me to add more protein and fats to my diet.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagestv19932:
    Which new guidelines was your doctor referring to? I will mention them to my doc after checking them out. I was told that average healthy weight gain for someone of my size prepreg is between 2535. I'm at 27 now and my doc is happy. If your doc thinks you should gain weight and you agree try adding fat filled yogurt and cheeses to your diet. How is your baby measuring?nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;sorry the quote button wasn't workingMy little guy is measuring 4 lb 10 oz and they said he's right on track to be 8 lbs at birth which is good. I have very mild GD as of right now, only on insulin at night. Just trying to find out why my doctor told me I should gain weight if the new guidelines are to gain no weight.nbsp;nbsp;

Given that the baby is right on track, I would just continue eating well and not worry too much about it. Maybe add a bagel with full fat cream cheese to your diet if you feel the need to gain weight. But with so few weeks to go and a healthy growing baby, I personally wouldn't be too concerned with gaining much more weight if I were in your shoes. Did your doc put a lot of emphasis on it? Or was it just casually mentioned?
  • I am 4'11 and I was 119 pre pregnancy.  I have gained 27 pounds so far.  My doctor never says anything about weight so I am assuming I am on track.  My last pregnancy I got up to 165 and weighed more than my husband..... not a highlight for me.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageOliveMom3:
    imagestv19932:
    Which new guidelines was your doctor referring to? I will mention them to my doc after checking them out. I was told that average healthy weight gain for someone of my size prepreg is between 2535. I'm at 27 now and my doc is happy. If your doc thinks you should gain weight and you agree try adding fat filled yogurt and cheeses to your diet. How is your baby measuring?nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;sorry the quote button wasn't workingMy little guy is measuring 4 lb 10 oz and they said he's right on track to be 8 lbs at birth which is good. I have very mild GD as of right now, only on insulin at night. Just trying to find out why my doctor told me I should gain weight if the new guidelines are to gain no weight.nbsp;nbsp;
    Given that the baby is right on track, I would just continue eating well and not worry too much about it. Maybe add a bagel with full fat cream cheese to your diet if you feel the need to gain weight. But with so few weeks to go and a healthy growing baby, I personally wouldn't be too concerned with gaining much more weight if I were in your shoes. Did your doc put a lot of emphasis on it? Or was it just casually mentioned?

Well when I was first weighed I had my purse on and it added 4 lbs (making me +3 lbs pre preg) and she mentioned that she was happy I'd finally put on some weight then when we reweighed me we got the accurate weight and she said I should think about gaining soon 

• nbsp;Well when I was first weighed I had my purse on and it added 4 lbs making me 3 lbs pre preg and she mentioned that she was happy I'd finally put on some weight then when we reweighed me we got the accurate weight and she said I should think about gaining soonnbsp;

Holy heavy purse, batman!!! But yeah... I would say that's a very casual mention and to not really pay too much attention to it. Just continue eating healthy and if your hungry, eat! But no need to go overboard.
  • Down 2 lbs from pre preg weight. I've gained a few, but then I lose them by the next appt. nobody has said anything to me about it one way or another.
    January 2009: Goodbye TR (13 weeks) February 2010: Welcome DD1! March 2011: Welcome DD2! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My Dr never talks to me about weight.. I was 140lbs pre pregnancy and 5'3", athletic/muscular build.. I'm 31 weeks and up 15lbs.. I think this is on the low end of normal, but I believe I'm expected to gain another 9lbs or so by the end so total weight gain would be 24lbs which is pretty dang close to the recommended for a normal BMI pre prego though..
  • My doctor has never mentioned my weight and I've never asked about it. I have only gained about 3 lbs so far and I hope to keep it under 10. I'm overweight so I fall into the gain 0 to 15 lb range.

I gained 40 with my first and 30 with my second and both times only lost ten of it. I also have gotten HBP at the end with both so I'm hoping I don't get it again since I've had such minimal weight gain.

• I'm 5'8", and pre-pregnancy I weighed about 135lbs.  I'm now 170lbs and while I was a little concerned that I'm gaining too much, but my doctor said I'm doing just fine.   

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
    BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
    BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 
  • I'm 5'11". I started at 160 and I've gained 18 pounds. I'm 32 weeks.
  • One of my coworkers ended up with gd too and she lost weight a lot towards the end due to the diet you have to be on. It's probably not such a big deal as long as you're getting your baby the nutrition he/she needs. I have 10 weeks to go and have gained about 19 pounds with a goal of gaining 25 to 30. 
    photo IMAG0561-002-Copy2-Copy_zps16abfae1.jpg
  • I don't look at the scale at appointments, and I don't weigh myself at home. I'm just doing my best to eat well and stay hydrated. My doctor hasn't said anything, so I guess I'm good. 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• I am 5'15'2" and weighed 115lbs at 10 weeks. I am at 148 now so 33 lbs total at 33 weeks. It looms like I will pass the the 35lbs my ob recommended for me but the way I look at it I will gained what my body needs.

• ejb23ejb23 member
    imageMelissa1385:
    I'm 5'11". I started at 160 and I've gained 18 pounds. I'm 32 weeks.

Almost exact same here except I'm at 19 pounds, but same height and starting weight

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

• I'm 5'7 and started at a healthy BMI...I've gained 23 lbs...I'll be 32 weeks tmrw...

J+E ~ 08/25/2007   DD#1 ~ 05/11/2010   DD#2 ~ 09/25/2013   DD#3 ~ 06/09/2016   Baby #4 Due ~ 01/16/2023

• I've gained 18 lbs so far and I was normal weight to begin with (115 lbs, but only 5'0"). I'm almost spot-on with how I gained weight with DD and I ended up at 30 lbs with her so if I can keep my total weight gain around 30 lbs, I will be happy with that!

• I am 5'6" pre-pregnancy and I weighed 132lbs at my last appointment I weighed 150lbs so I have gained 18lbs. The doc didn't seem too happy with me as I had not gained any weight in the 3 week gap between the appointments. But I told her I have been eating and drinking so I don't know how I haven't gained any weight. I know if I still don't gain enough by my next appointment in 2 weeks she will be sending me for an US to measure Sophie and make sure everything is okay. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"