Food Allergy
Options

What kind of milk?

If your child is mspi what kind of milk do they drink? DS just turned 1, and I feel like we are a little behind the game here since he still is mainly drinking bottles of neonate. He does eat finger foods but just isn't as interested in food as he is in his bottles. We are introducing soy to him this week with bread so depending how he does with that I know soy milk is an option. But if that doesn't work out, what do you use? Rice milk? Almond milk? Thanks for your help!
Mr. & Mrs. UMich! July 2006! :-)
DX: High FSH/DOR
It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

Beta #1 (9dp5dt) = 206, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) = 438
1st u/s @ 6w5d = 11/11/11 = ONE little bean! HB 120bpm!
?Our Baby Boy Born June 26th, 2012?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What kind of milk?

• Options

I think coconut milk is normally recommended because it has a better balance of fats. That is what my pedi recommended as well. Also, in my research I've read that MSPI kids should stay on formula a little longer, since even coconut milk isn't a full replacement for whole milk's nutrition. I think the average I saw was an extra 3 months, so that's what I'm doing with DS2. He still gets four bottles a day, but at mealtimes he'll get coconut milk or water in a sippy.

You want to really make sure they're getting adequate nutrition from food before pulling formula, because you won't be able to rely on whole milk to make up any gaps in fat/protein/vitamins.

P.S. Go Blue :)

We love our little guys!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We are continuing with breast milk until 2. It might kill me, but the allergist thought that was best. DS is allergic to dairy, soy, egg and nuts. The allergist said that the rice milk and other subs are not nutritive enough. He suggested seeing a nutritionist to advise with smart solids to help...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LSU628LSU628 member
    Our allergist recommends staying on formula until 18 mo to make sure your LO is getting adequate nutrition.
    imageimage
  • Options
    LSU628LSU628 member
    Forgot to add that when we did the switch, DD preferred the almond milk. Flax milk has lots of good nutrients but it did quite a number on DD"s stomach. She also did well with goat's milk but our walmart stopped carrying it (and it was crazy expensive!).
    imageimage
  • Options
    DS is still on Elecare formula at 18 months old because of growth issues, in addition to his food allergies.  But he drinks hemp milk, too.  It has a higher fat content than coconut, soy, rice and almond milk and has omega 3 fatty acids in it.  It was recommended to us by DS's dietician.  It is creamier tasting, too. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The Bump ate my 1st reply.  DS is still on Elecare formula for his food allergies and growth issues at 18 months old.  I am guessing he'll be on it until 2 years old.  But he also drinks hemp milk.  It was recommended to us by his dietician.  It has a higher fat content than soy, almond, rice and coconut milk.  It is creamier tasting, too and has omega 3 fatty acids. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"