Toddlers: 24 Months+

How to stop DS from throwing food

My DS is 1.5 and just throws food.  Any tips on how to get him to stop.

if I sit there and feel him by hand he will eat, but he just grows it when I have him feed himself. 

Re: How to stop DS from throwing food

• In my book throwing food means you are done.  Take the food away and he will learn quick enough!
  • What pp said or do timeouts.  My son would throw stuff off his highchair when he was done as opposed to just leaving it there on the highchair or plate.  It just got so bad that we had to implement timeouts.  He'd do it just to test us too. 

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Loading the player...
  • In our case it was just time. I didn't have the energy to do timeouts or end meals for one so we just said we don't throw food and didn't make a big deal. And there was quite a bit of throwing around that age
    Now at almost 2 there is very little almost no food throwing.
    I think it's one of those things kids just outgrow, I mean it's just not that interesting in the long run.
  • First throw: "You may not throw food.  You can put it in my hand or on the table." (Include lots of showing the hand and pointing to the table.)

Second throw: "You may not throw food.  You can put it in my hand or on the table. The next time you throw food, you are getting down from the table." (Include lots of showing the hand and pointing to the table and pointing down at the floor.)

Third throw: "You may not throw food.  You are getting down from the table now." (Take child out of high chair and put down on the floor.)

Doesn't take a whole lot of energy, really.  Pretty simple.  Of course, you need to be 100% consistent, and not skip taking the kid out.

The first few months, we'd just put her down for a minute, then give her another try.  Then down for five minutes, three tries today.  Then just one second chance.

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTiffanyBerry:
    First throw: "You may not throw food.nbsp; You can put it in my hand or on the table." Include lots of showing the hand and pointing to the table.Second throw: "You may not throw food.nbsp; You can put it in my hand or on the table. The next time you throw food, you are getting down from the table." Include lots of showing the hand and pointing to the table and pointing down at the floor.Third throw: "You may not throw food.nbsp; You are getting down from the table now." Take child out of high chair and put down on the floor.Doesn't take a whole lot of energy, really.nbsp; Pretty simple.nbsp; Of course, you need to be 100 consistent, and not skip taking the kid out.The first few months, we'd just put her down for a minute, then give her another try.nbsp; Then down for five minutes, three tries today.nbsp; Then just one second chance.

Yeah maybe if you only have one kid. Not if you have a second who also needs to eat.
    I have to pick my battles. This wasn't one I was ready to fight and in the end it turned out just fine.
  • I didn't mean to suggest that your way was wrong.  It worked, after all!  And it worked for your family since you guys were happy to take that approach.  Nothin' wrong with doing what works and makes you happy too. :)

In our house, I can't fathom how having another kid would have made it not work.  I mean, it *really* didn't take much time or attention from me to stick my hand out to take her food.  And I've done something similar (not for throwing) when I've watched two toddlers.  But that's my kid, and my kid isn't your kid, so it's just one other approach.

(Maybe it's because we did BLW'ing?  I wasn't really trying to help her eat anything.  I was just eating my own meal.  Anyway, different families - different approaches!) 

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTiffanyBerry:

I didn't mean to suggest that your way was wrong.  It worked, after all!  And it worked for your family since you guys were happy to take that approach.  Nothin' wrong with doing what works and makes you happy too. :)

In our house, I can't fathom how having another kid would have made it not work.  I mean, it *really* didn't take much time or attention from me to stick my hand out to take her food.  And I've done something similar (not for throwing) when I've watched two toddlers.  But that's my kid, and my kid isn't your kid, so it's just one other approach.

(Maybe it's because we did BLW'ing?  I wasn't really trying to help her eat anything.  I was just eating my own meal.  Anyway, different families - different approaches!) 

trust me when i tell you that unless you take care of two one year olds 24/7 you have no idea how much more work it is than one.  I can hardly believe how simple it is when i happen to only have one for a little bit for some reason lol :) 

my point was really just that it was something they grew out of without any intervention on my part. so if the original poster is frustrated they might feel better knowing that it may well improve with time.

• Where is DS sitting?  We still had DD in her high chair at two (she's small, she fit, we saw no reason to move her at the time) but she was throwing food at home.  She never did it when we were at a restaurant though, where she sat at the table.  So we took away the tray and moved her to the table.  It's been about a month now and she doesn't throw her food when she's done.  She will still push her plate away sometimes but no actual throwing. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD did this from 8 months to 2.5 years. I tried everything - feeding her, taking food away, making her clean it up, ignoring her, not reacting, reacting, hand over hand feeding, etc etc. nothing worked. I used to dread dinner time and would get so upset. One day she just stopped. Hope you find something that works!!!
    My Cooking Blog

Avery Corinne - Born 7/9/10 at 37w2d
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"