Potty Training
Options

Goes if I take her, but doesn't tell me when she needs to go...how to transition?

My dd is 25 months.   She has quite a few signs that she is ready to potty train and I have the summer off so now is a good time to start.  We have been using a timer and going to the potty every 20-30 minutes for about a week.  She goes about 75% of the time when I take her....she seems to have the bladder control to go on command.  However, if we don't set the timer and wait for her to tell us then we have accidents.

Any advice on how to get her to tell us instead of taking her every 30 minutes?  I'm exhausted!

Thanks! 

Courtney

Re: Goes if I take her, but doesn't tell me when she needs to go...how to transition?

• Options

no idea- but this sounds just like DS!!! if I remind him, or take him pretty often he'll go.... some days, he's even in the same dry/clean diaper all day!! but he won't spontaneously say "have to go potty!!"

I'm kinda thinking I have to just go cold turkey with underwear at home for a few days (kinda like the 3-day method) so he gets it. i'm in no rush though because diapers are just so convenient! LOL I'm home with him... and not looking forward to doing the mad dash across Target to the bathroom to try to beat an accident LOL

• Options
    Start stretching the amount of time between potty brakes. Every hour or so. Or let her run around bottomless at home with a potty nearby. After a few accidents, she'll probably start taking herself to the potty.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We did the 3 day method loosely following the Baby Center's method. It's been two weeks and she's just now starting to tell us before she needs to go - we've got like 30-60 seconds to get her to a potty but it's major progress. Immediately after the training weekend, she would come and tell us she had an accident and every time we calmly tell her "Ok, but you need to tell us before you go. Pee/poo goes in the potty." and then we bring her with us to the bathroom to clean her up and have her watch us clean her clothes. 

I agree with PP - let her run around without bottoms at home with a potty seat in the main room. Let her get used to taking herself there. When she comes to tell you she had an accident, just gently remind her that it's important to tell you before she goes. One day she'll come to you while she's going - consider it progress. Eventually it'll click.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"