December 2011 Moms
Options

Ricola

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Ricola

• Options
    RicolaRicola member

Thanks for thinking of me! 

We are going with midwives and a home birth this time around. Our insurance does not cover anything pregnancy related and a regular pregnancy + birth at the hospital (no extras like drugs, appointments when baby doesn't move etc. are included) would cost at least $15k. The midwives and home birth will be about $5k including everything, so that's what we are planning. 

My first appointment with the midwives is July 31st and the first u/s will be the NT scan some time in early September. :-)

How are you doing?  

DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Options
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hmmm... will the changes in the Affordable Care Act impact your insurance at all? In 2014 maternity coverage is supposed to become mandatory for most insurances, as is the elimination of the pre-existing condition clause and the 1 year waiting period for maternity coverage.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do a home birth if that is what you really want, but if you'd rather deliver in a hospital I'd for sure look into how your insurance might change next year.

OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    RicolaRicola member

mtb, do you have a theme for C's big boy room? Will you transfer him to a toddler bed then, too? How exciting! And yes, names are pretty hard, I agree! We think we'll be team green, so we are trying to come up with names for both. We like Louis and Katie so far, but who knows what it'll be in the end! ;-)  

imagechristinesb19:

Hmmm... will the changes in the Affordable Care Act impact your insurance at all? In 2014 maternity coverage is supposed to become mandatory for most insurances, as is the elimination of the pre-existing condition clause and the 1 year waiting period for maternity coverage.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do a home birth if that is what you really want, but if you'd rather deliver in a hospital I'd for sure look into how your insurance might change next year.

Thank you! Yes, we will definitely switch to a better insurance come January 1st and they won't be able to deny coverage for the pregnancy and birth then.

I really like the idea of a home birth though and would love to not have to be in the hospital again for 2-3 days this time around! The midwives sound super nice and come highly recommended by local friends. We had a pretty easy and fast birth with DS (6 hours from water breaking to birth, no meds) and are hoping for a similar experience this time around.

But it's very reassuring to know that the insurance will have to pay, or at least get us better rates, in case of an emergency! 

DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Options
  • Options
    RicolaRicola member

Oh, that will be an awesome big boy room - dinosaurs! Can't wait to see the pictures. :-) I'm jealous that you are so crafty. I wish I could make my own quilt, that's so special. I'll learn it some day - or at least that's on my list of things I want to do.  

No, we found out the sex with Alex, I think it was around 18 weeks at our a/s. The changing insurance is definitely good. I hope we won't need it, but I feel a lot more at ease to know that we'll have it in case we need it! I miss German healthcare. Very similar to Canadian! 

DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"