Special Needs
Options

Hi I have a quick questions to mothers of children with SPD

Let me introduce myself first I'm from Georgia I have one child DS and another due in Oct. (a girl) DS has been diagnosed with a sensory processing disorder and speech and communication delays and is currently being screened for autism. 

He was a dentist appointment this coming week and they insist on doing a teeth cleaning. Has anyone gone through this? He has problem handling certain sensations and sounds and I'm afraid the sound of the suction machine will scare him. Just brushing his teeth is a chore that take about 15 mins to complete.

Does anyone have any advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it 

imageimageimage
  imageimage
image   image

August Siggy Challenge Photobomb

Re: Hi I have a quick questions to mothers of children with SPD

• Options
    One of my boys has SPD (mostly an avoider). I was veeery nervous about his first dentist appt at 3 considering how freaked out he got if we tried to use an electric toothbrush on him. He was in feeding therapy at the time (and she worked on those issues as they related to oral/eating) as well as OT and that helped. It actually went a lot better than I anticipated. We went to a pediatric dentist that did a fantastic job of being gentle, positive, and very patient and explaining everything as they went along, and demonstrating the "spit-sucker," toothbrush, etc., on the child's hand first before putting it in their mouth, etc. It really helped. He was still anxious and sort of stressed but overall it went much better than I would have expected.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    imagemacchiatto:
    One of my boys has SPD mostly an avoider. I was veeery nervous about his first dentist appt at 3 considering how freaked out he got if we tried to use an electric toothbrush on him. He was in feeding therapy at the time and she worked on those issues as they related to oral/eating as well as OT and that helped. It actually went a lot better than I anticipated. We went to a pediatric dentist that did a fantastic job of being gentle, positive, and very patient and explaining everything as they went along, and demonstrating the "spitsucker," toothbrush, etc., on the child's hand first before putting it in their mouth, etc. It really helped. He was still anxious and sort of stressed but overall it went much better than I would have expected.

DS is an avoider too. There an oral therapy, they've been trying to address these in OT. I need to look into this. Thanks for the reply
    imageimageimage
      imageimage
    image   image

August Siggy Challenge Photobomb
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I contacted several pediatric dentists and found one who came recommended by my devel peds because they specialize in kids with special needs.  First appt was amazing.  Super patient and showed him everything first and then had me sit him on my lap facing me and laid him back onto dentists lap, which made it so much better.  They had a couple assistants waiting in hallway in case we needed help, which we didn't.  Long before his first appt, one thing I did was to get him vibrating toothbrush, not so much to brush his teeth but to be able to sort of practice and get used to those types of things in his mouth and it helped alot.  He has had another 6 month follow up and it went well too.  If he is super sensitive to noise, put headphones on with some music playing to help with the noise of the machines. My dentist also said it is not necessary to do a cleaning at these first couple visits, just checking teeth and getting them used to being at the dentist for when they do start cleanings.
  • Options
    My older DD has SPD, and she's been going since she turned 3.  The dentists are used to kids with special needs, and DD did much better than I thought she would.  She's done so well that I started taking my younger DD when she turned 2.  DD2 is really into mechanical things, so she thought the dentist office was really cool.  The hygienist shows them how everything works, and the whole staff is really patient.  You might end up surprised at how well he tolerates it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"