1st Trimester

please share your HIGH beta numbers for 10 DPO

i tested two VERY strong positives this morning at 10 DPO (i feel pretty confident that i'm actually 10 DPO based on my OPKs and my typical cycle schedule).

went in for bloodwork...  betas were 265 (that explains the dark lines!)

betabase.info tells me i'm technically within the reported range for beta levels, but i'm about 10 times the median value for 10 DPO.

who else had really high numbers this early in the pregnancy?  can you share your values and corresponding DPOs?  i know this could possibly indicate a higher chance of multiples, and i'll cross that bridge in a few weeks when i have my first u/s... but for now i'm just looking for anyone else who had crazy high early numbers like this.  thanks!

Re: please share your HIGH beta numbers for 10 DPO

• i should add this was a natural cycle for us after a 3 month break following a string of losses in the past year.  other than progesterone suppositories, i was not medically aided in any way, so the high numbers can't be attributed to trigger shots or anything of that nature.
  • Around 10DPO this pregnancy I had a beta of 1496.8. 
    Started TTC Summer 2008~ Started with RE Summer 2009~ October 2010 IUI-positive HPT & beta, c/p~ Natural pregnancy March 2013, m/c at 7 weeks, Trisomy 16~ Natural pregnancy June 2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • holy crap, madelyn!  my number seems piddly compared to yours :)  did they give you any additional info about why it was so high?  do you know if this is a singleton or multiples?
  • imagespasticfantastic:
    holy crap, madelyn!  my number seems piddly compared to yours :)  did they give you any additional info about why it was so high?  do you know if this is a singleton or multiples?

Nope, no additional info. Definitely a singleton. I've already had 7 ultrasounds. Only one baby.  

Started TTC Summer 2008~ Started with RE Summer 2009~ October 2010 IUI-positive HPT & beta, c/p~ Natural pregnancy March 2013, m/c at 7 weeks, Trisomy 16~ Natural pregnancy June 2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Your number is not exceptionally high for 10DPO and dark lines just mean darker dye in your test, it's not reflective of how healthy your pregnancy is or how high your HCG is. Additionally, a single number means nothing, it's how quickly the number doubles that reflects whether or not the baby is healthy and numbers that double more quickly than the typical 48-72 hours can possibly indicate multiples.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • the person who has had 7 ultrasounds is further along in her pregnancy

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• i think i was around 687  at 11 dpo and i have one baby

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• imagespasticfantastic:
    holy crap, madelyn!  my number seems piddly compared to yours :)  did they give you any additional info about why it was so high?  do you know if this is a singleton or multiples?

The size of the number (big vs little) has no correlation to whether or not you are having a singelton/multiple pregnancy.  The most important thing about the numbers is that they double as an indication of a viable pregnancy.  

Only an u/s can tell you how many babies are in your belly ;)  My betas are living proof of that - the first was a 49 and the nurse said I needed to be "cautiously optimistic" b/c it was a low number; turns out the low number turned into twins! 

Me: 30, DH: 40 
    TTC since January 2012HSG & Bloodwork: Normal, SA: NormalDx: Unexplained Infertility 50mg Clomid + TI = BFN (three cycles)
    50mg Clomid + trigger + IUI = BFP (one cycle)
    Beta #1 (12dpo) = 49  Beta #2 (14dpo)= 149

Expecting g/g twins Oct '13

• Soap1Soap1 member
    imageYouMe&Bax:

imagespasticfantastic:

The size of the number (big vs little) has no correlation to whether or not you are having a singelton/multiple pregnancy.  The most important thing about the numbers is that they double as an indication of a viable pregnancy.  

Only an u/s can tell you how many babies are in your belly ;)  My betas are living proof of that - the first was a 49 and the nurse said I needed to be "cautiously optimistic" b/c it was a low number; turns out the low number turned into twins! 

There is SOME correlation between hcg levels and presence of multiples.  Women with multiples are somewhat more likely to have high hcg levels, and levels that triple or quadruple instead of double.  But the relationship is far from perfect.

But it is true that the only way to know is through an ultrasound.  My levels with my 2nd pregnancy were quadrupling and it was still just one! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageSoap1:
    imageYouMe&Bax:

imagespasticfantastic:

There is SOME correlation between hcg levels and presence of multiples.  Women with multiples are somewhat more likely to have high hcg levels, and levels that triple or quadruple instead of double.  But the relationship is far from perfect.

But it is true that the only way to know is through an ultrasound.  My levels with my 2nd pregnancy were quadrupling and it was still just one! 

You're just as likely to have high numbers and have a singleton.  According to my doctor, and just about every twin book I've read - there an no studies showing that there is a correlation between the high/low numbers and a twin pregnancy.  

Also, if you link over to the Multiples board - you'll see this question is asked almost weekly - not once has a MoMs replied, "yep, there's a correlation" - b/c there's not.  There are MoMs over there w/ high numbers, low numbers, regular doubling, tripling etc.   

Me: 30, DH: 40 
    TTC since January 2012HSG & Bloodwork: Normal, SA: NormalDx: Unexplained Infertility 50mg Clomid + TI = BFN (three cycles)
    50mg Clomid + trigger + IUI = BFP (one cycle)
    Beta #1 (12dpo) = 49  Beta #2 (14dpo)= 149

Expecting g/g twins Oct '13

• thanks for all the replies everyone!  i'm really not used to seeing high betas (with my unsuccessful pregnancy this past spring, my hcG was a 10 at the exact same point in the cycle) so that 265 totally freaked me out.  we typically worry about low numbers, so it's ironic that i was stressing about high numbers too.  i guess the doubting is all part and parcel with pregnancy after multiple losses...  i'm just not ready to believe this is it and everything is fine quite yet.  i'll be able to start exhaling if i see good betas tomorrow and again on tuesday when they check to make sure i'm doubling appropriately... and then certainly if the early u/s looks good at 6 weeks too.

as far as the multiples...  that's obviously something only an u/s can determine, and for now i really just want a healthy and viable pregnancy no matter what's inside :)

• Soap1Soap1 member
    imageYouMe&Bax:
    imageSoap1:
    imageYouMe&Bax:

imagespasticfantastic:

You're just as likely to have high numbers and have a singleton.  According to my doctor, and just about every twin book I've read - there an no studies showing that there is a correlation between the high/low numbers and a twin pregnancy.  

Also, if you link over to the Multiples board - you'll see this question is asked almost weekly - not once has a MoMs replied, "yep, there's a correlation" - b/c there's not.  There are MoMs over there w/ high numbers, low numbers, regular doubling, tripling etc.   

I agree that the numbers are all over the place both for moms of multiples and singles, but on average, multiples do tend to have higher or more rapidly rising numbers.  There used to be a really great site that had compiled all sorts of data on hcg levels in women who were pregnant with singles, twins, and triplets but the link seems to be broken now - what a bummer!  Their data showed that the normal ranges for all three types of pregnancies overlapped significantly but statistically multiples were generally a bit higher.

I wish the link still worked - I loved that site.  It was called Beta Base if anyone knows what happened to it! 

• soap, here's the most recent archive of the betabase.info website (which is invaluable, i totally agree!)

https://classic-web.archive.org/web/20130509205503/https://www.betabase.info/showBasicChart.php?type=Single

ETA:  in the upper left hand corner, there's a drop down menu to switch to multiples info.

• PHEW! Levels today at 12 DPO were 697!
  • My first beta level 9pt5dt was 378, second beta level 11dp5dt 844. First ultrasound today 8/2 revealed that we are expecting twins! I could not be more excited! I did ask my nurse if they had an idea it may be twins and she said although they do not always go by beta's to indicate twins because my eggs were top quality and my initial hcg was pretty high very early, they did think it was twins. I am so glad it is! We could not be more excited!
  • yay, that's fabulous Mbebe!!  congratulations!

FWIW, my third beta at 14 DPO ended up being 2.023 and i have 5 days to wait until i see what's growing inside my belly via 6w u/s :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"