Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Women who temp vaginally...

Have you ever done a comparison between oral temps and vaginal temps on the same day?

I was desperate to temp this morning to prove O, but I developed a cold over the course of the past few days. Last night I slept terribly and probably with my mouth open because my nose was congested. I temped vaginally instead, and I'm wondering how badly it will screw up my chart.

I'm convinced I did in fact O yesterday based on OPK, CM, & CP.

Thoughts?

Link in sig below or https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/440224 for mobile users.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

Re: Women who temp vaginally...

• Options
    Ive heard vag temps are much higher then oral temps. Which Iis why you dont want to change temping during the coarse of a cycle

Also please tell me you dont plan to put that thermemeter back into your mouth...
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options

My temps are much higher now that I switched to vaginal temping. My pre-O temps are about the same as my post-O temps were when I was temping orally. It makes it much easier to detect my O day.

I'm sure that switching affected your temp for today, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't have had a spike if you temped orally. I think you just have to wait it out. I would not continue vaginal temping this cycle if you don't need to.

******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagelookame3639:
    Ive heard vag temps are much higher then oral temps. Which Iis why you dont want to change temping during the coarse of a cycle Also please tell me you dont plan to put that thermemeter back into your mouth...

Yes, because my vag is so icky. Does your husband not put his mouth there? Poor thing...

Of course, I have heard of this little thing called soap and water. Have you?

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201

• Options
    imagelookame3639:
    Ive heard vag temps are much higher then oral temps. Which Iis why you dont want to change temping during the coarse of a cycle

Also please tell me you dont plan to put that thermemeter back into your mouth...

Seriously?

Mouths aren't super clean either. That's why they make probe covers. And rubbing alcohol. And soap.
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

• Options
    I gave vag temping a shot for a few cycles and I think my temps were a solid degree higher than my oral temps. Also seconding the idea of a new thermometer....once it goes in the vag it shouldn't be used again in any other way.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Options
    imageMilagros315:

My temps are much higher now that I switched to vaginal temping. My pre-O temps are about the same as my post-O temps were when I was temping orally. It makes it much easier to detect my O day.

I'm sure that switching affected your temp for today, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't have had a spike if you temped orally. I think you just have to wait it out. I would not continue vaginal temping this cycle if you don't need to.

Yeah, I wouldn't have changed temping styles if I hadn't feel I had to. Though I'll probably start vaginal temping next cycle, it seems more reliable.

Although the number itself doesn't mean anything (ie: 1.2 degrees higher),  the percentage change might. For example, if you compared the two temps (oral: 98, vag: 98.4), you'd know that the vaginal temperature is typically is 0.41% higher. Of course, that percentage could be different for everyone, and it might change, but I was curious.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201

• Options

imagecurlylocks3:
    Also seconding the idea of a new thermometer....once it goes in the vag it shouldn't be used again in any other way.

I'm honestly concerned that so many women think their vag is so dirty.

The mouth is MUCH more disgusting, and the thermometer can be cleaned.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201

• Options
    imagevon1976:
    Yeah, I wouldn't have changed temping styles if I hadn't feel I had to. Though I'll probably start vaginal temping next cycle, it seems more reliable.

Although the number itself doesn't mean anything (ie: 1.2 degrees higher),  the percentage change might. For example, if you compared the two temps (oral: 98, vag: 98.4), you'd know that the vaginal temperature is typically is 0.41% higher. Of course, that percentage could be different for everyone, and it might change, but I was curious. 

This is only my second cycle temping vaginally, but my CLs are between 97.8 and 97.9. While temping orally, it was closer to 97.3/97.4 so it's a difference of about 0.5. That's pretty much what your difference is which is why I was thinking it would be hard to say for sure. But like you said also, everyone is different. I'd probably HIO, at least EOD, for another day or two just in case. 

image image

EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

• Options

I temp both ways (2 thermometers for those who are worried).  I get a lot of temps that are the same 2-3 days in a row vaginally, so it really helps to confirm with the oral that the BBT is not broken.

My oral temp is usually .2-.4 degrees cooler than the vag temp!

Me:34 H:33 
    Temping since Nov 2012, off BC since July 2011
    SA: Beyond Awesome
    CD3 BW (AMH:2.7, estrogen high:106) , low progesterone 7DPO
    OB diagnosed "weak ovulation"
    IUI #1 Jan 2014- 5mg letrozole, m/c 6w3d, betas slow to decrease
    IUI #2 Mar 2014- 5mg letrozole BFN
    IVF#1 Apr/May 2014 16R/12M/8F.  Transferred 2 blasts, 3 on ice

imageimageimageimage
  • Options

Thanks ladies! I know it's not an exact science, I was just hoping to figure out how messed up my chart will be.

Answer? Maybe, maybe not. Who knows. I'm sure I O'd, though we're going to go again tonight just for sheeps and giggles.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201

• Options

imagelookame3639:

?? It's not your bottom, darlin. Plus there's soap and water or alcohol wipes. I mean, if you are really that concerned about catching something from yourself.

I've done both and the month I switched (a long time ago), I switched a few days in ( I'm such a rebel.) and my chart wasn't any different than any other month.  If your ovulation jumps are only .2 from normal, I guess it could affect your chart if you switched during that time of your cycle, but in my experience, it hasn't differed all that much. My charts all look the same, oral or vaginal.

• Options
    imagevon1976:

imagecurlylocks3:
    Also seconding the idea of a new thermometer....once it goes in the vag it shouldn't be used again in any other way.

Better not let hubby pleasure you, don't want him to get his mouth dirty from your filthy vagina...
  • Options
    I'm a mouth breather so I temped vaginally for the first year I charted. Now 3 years later I did one cycle vag, and then thought "what the heck" and did this cycle orally. As you can see my temps were all over the place, but it does show O exactly where I usually do (dotted lines are for OPK negs, not temps). I think I'll go back to vag next cycle though.
    First comes Love Nov 11,  2003, Then Marriage: Aug. 23, 2006. Baby??? TTC since May 2010. Started seeking additional medical intervention (again) Summer 2013, finally appointment is booked!
    Formerly buttercupaug 06 - and I was almost silver :(
    PAIF/SAIF/PGAL/PAL ALL WELCOME!
    Aug 16, 2013 - SA done - All good strong numbers
    Apr 3, 2014 - Consult with OBGYN to get my testing started.
    Mar 6, 2014 - Surprise BFP!!!! EDD Nov 9th. Consult with OBGYN changed to prenatal meet and greet!
    May 2, 2014 - NT scan perfect! Can't wait to find out what team we're on. 

June 11, 2014 - it's official, we're TEAM PINK!!!
    Welcome Piper Laine!! November 10, 2014
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I hate the abbreviation vag. That is all.
  • Options
    imagevon1976:

imagecurlylocks3:

My husband totally died once from the germs in my dirty, dirty vag. True story.

Me & DH: 24 Married: 5/11
    Started TTC: 12/12 Testing Started: 5/14
    Dx: Irregular Ovulation, possible PCOS
    Treatment starting July '14: Letrozole + Trigger + TI
    Surprise natural BFP right before starting meds!!!!!- EDD 3/7/15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"