Special Needs

Spina Bifida Occulta

Just a quick question for any other moms out there.  I keep forgetting to ask our Dr, so I thought I'd see if anyone here happened to know.

First off, random update of good news, we graduated from our helmet 2 weeks ago!  WOOT WOOT!   Torticollis is doing really well, they are saying he is down to about a 5 degree tilt in passive.  Which is amazing, considering how bad the tilt was at 2 months old!  We also got a good report from the ophthalmologist, so YAY!

Back to my question... Little man was diagnosed with SB Occulta a couple months ago, on accident of course.  We were checking his spine for scoliosis and happened upon it.   I work in the medical field, and I am well aware of the fact that most SB kiddos have a latex allergy.  I didn't know if this applied to Occulta as well.  I just wanted to know if I needed to make a note of this each time we went to a Dr visit, etc.  Since the Occulta really presents no issues at this time, I haven't mentioned it really at regular Dr appts.  (For example, we went to urgent care due to a stomach bug and dehydration.) I didn't say anything, because I didn't think it mattered. 

Anyways... shot in the dark if any other moms here have experience with the Occulta, but Dr Google was no help, and our next follow up is in about 6 weeks- but I am definitely writing this on my list of questions so I don't forget again!!  Curiosity was eating away at me in the meantime- haha! 

TTC with Endo-DX-10 yrs ago
IUI#1-April 2010- Clomid 100mg, Ovidrel and timed intercourse= BFN
IUI #2- Cancelled due to cysts
IUI #3- June 2010- Clomid, Ovidrel and timed intercourse= BFN
Break due to DH deployment
Lap #7 Dec 2010- this time my Colon was adhered to my abdominal wall
Since the start of our journey, new issues along with original Endo, 3 MFI unexplained, Cervical Stenosis, AMH .08, Low AFC, 2 blocked tubes
IVF #1 - ET 09/18-Transferred 2 Embryos
Beta #1 09/29-23 Beta #2 10/01- 52 Beta #3 10/05-342!! Lil Cub born 5/20

Re: Spina Bifida Occulta

• I have spina bifida occulta and a latex allergy and was told the two definitely go hand in hand.  I also don't have any other issues with it (I have scoliosis and wore a brace, and it was discovered through that monitoring process) and I don't mention it unless its a medical history.  Just mention the allergy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sorry misread question.  If you go to a new dr. I would let them know.

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much- this helps!! Big Smile
    TTC with Endo-DX-10 yrs ago
    IUI#1-April 2010- Clomid 100mg, Ovidrel and timed intercourse= BFN
    IUI #2- Cancelled due to cysts
    IUI #3- June 2010- Clomid, Ovidrel and timed intercourse= BFN
    Break due to DH deployment
    Lap #7 Dec 2010- this time my Colon was adhered to my abdominal wall
    Since the start of our journey, new issues along with original Endo, 3 MFI unexplained, Cervical Stenosis, AMH .08, Low AFC, 2 blocked tubes
    IVF #1 - ET 09/18-Transferred 2 Embryos
    Beta #1 09/29-23 Beta #2 10/01- 52 Beta #3 10/05-342!! Lil Cub born 5/20
  • My DD has Spina Bifida - myelomeningocele, so the most common but also most severe case of SB.  We were always told that SB and latex allergies go hand in hand, so we were very cautious.  Since she was born, we've notified her doctors that she is latex precaution and have been very careful.  So far though, we haven't noticed an allergy, and she plays with the Sophie giraffe and latex balloons.  Just watch it and notify your LO's doctors, but a lot of hospitals and schools are leaning towards latex free these days, so it is much easier to avoid it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"