Two Under 2

Did you get a second crib...?

Hi I'm new to the board but due in jan with #2! Our son will be 19 mos when the new one arrives and I'm wondering did you with 2u2 get a second crib or did you transition your toddler to toddler beds? I have read many articles on how it can be better to wait but obviously each child is different so I'm curious about your experiences as we prepare for the craziness! Thanks so much!

Re: Did you get a second crib...?

• Mine were 15 months apart.  I totally got a second crib.  It was so nice to be able to contain the older child when you needed to do something with the younger.  My 2nd will be 19 months when this baby is born and I'm not transitioning her either.  As long as he isn't climbing out, I would keep him there as long as possible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Second crib! My three kids are all 17 months apart. We kept the first in her crib until after her second birthday, and she needed it that long. My second is now 18 months and nowhere near ready to transition. We tried one night, and she wasn't having it.

We got convertible cribs, and with three kids they are getting tons of use. We got our second crib from a friend so it was super cheap, and put the older child in it so we never had any safety concerns about a newborn in a used crib.
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine are 17 months apart and we got a second crib. I hope she stays in there until her 2nd bday. Plus I don't think she should be forced to grow up faster because we decided to have another baby.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Mine will be 13.5 months apart. A friend from church (who we completely trust) is giving us a hand-me-down crib, but before her offer we planned on buying one. There is no way I think DD will be ready to move out of her crib any time soon. DS will be in our room at night for a few months, but we might start naps in his crib from the beginning...
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • No.  Mine are exactly 18 months apart and I did not get a 2nd crib.  We kept DS2 in the Arms Reach co-sleeper in my bedroom until he was 7.5 months (converted it to the pack n play configuration when he got bigger).  Then we moved him to a separate room upstairs.  DS1 was in a crib this whole time.  By this point (DS1 was 25 months) I really wanted DS2 to have the crib, but it took us a little while to acquire a twin bed.  First we put them in the same room together and then when DS1 was about 28 months he finally got a bed.  He loves it. The whole transition went so much better than I expected.

• No. My first two are 19 months apart and we didn't see a need for a second crib. We kept DD1 in the crib until she was 23 months, when she chose to move to the toddler bed. DD2 was in the rock and play in our room until she was almost 6 months old, then moved to the crib about a month after DD1 moved out of it.  

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes, mine were only 11 months apart, but DS is still happily in his crib at 2 years 3 months. I'm a huge fan of containment as long as possible. 
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • Mine are 19 months apart and I'm glad we got the second crib.  DS1 is nowhere ready to move out of his.  I see him in it until at least his 2nd birthday and it works as a good toddler containment area when I have to tend to the younger LO since DS1 knows how to operate doors and locks (long story).
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • I had a very different experience than pp's. By the time she turned a year old, dd hated her crib. She hated being contained, I guess, she woke up screaming every single morning. Dh and I were just curious and at 13 months converted her crib to a toddler bed, since we knew she could climb something that low easily. Lo and behold she laid down with no problems at 8 pm, as usual, and woke up in an awesome mood, crawled out of bed and came to get me at 9 am! Needless to say, she stayed in her toddler bed, and we recently got her a full sized mattress (just sitting on the floor) that she loves, so #2 can have the crib when she gets here. We haven't had any issues, but I consider us extremely lucky in that regard. Dd always was an excellent sleeper, from the time she was 9 months I could just lay her down in bed & she'd put herself to sleep and sttn. It really does depend on your toddler. I feel like my child is probably the exception to the rule, but I doubt there's any way I can get that lucky again!
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kagl08kagl08 member

My 2 are 13.5 months apart. We did get a second crib. And my DD is going to be 3 in less than a month and she is still in her crib. My DS will be 2 in September and he is also still in his crib. 

Best thing we ever did was get a 2nd crib!  

• Yes.  Kids are 18months apart and we got a 2nd crib.  Both are convertible so DS1 was going to keep his to convert to a toddler bed anyway.

image   image

• Yes.  Crib them as long as possible!
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • We are planning on getting a second crib as LO will be only 17 months old and his crib is a convertible one, so we're planning on having him keep that crib with him as he grows so we will get another convertible crib for the new baby to grow into.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Mine are 14 months apart.  We did get a 2nd crib (both convertible).  We converted DD's crib straight to her full size bed when she was two (kid was such a climber).  DS is still in his crib now...  although we're about to switch him to a toddler bed in the very near future.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagehheyderh:
    Mine were 15 months apart.  I totally got a second crib.  It was so nice to be able to contain the older child when you needed to do something with the younger.  My 2nd will be 19 months when this baby is born and I'm not transitioning her either.  As long as he isn't climbing out, I would keep him there as long as possible.

This. My first two were 14m apart.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • DS1 will be 22 months when DS2 arrives and we are not getting a second crib. DS will be in with us for the first 7 months, and at some point after DS1 turns two we will transition him to a big bed, before moving DS2 into the crib.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

• I'm due in December and my LO's will be 5yr, 17mo and newborn, I've just ordered the 2nd the crib :) Since the two youngest will be sharing a room cribs for as long as possible is my idea!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"