14 Weeks Pregnant
Options

Debilitating headaches

Hi all. Congrats on week 14! I just entered it today.

I've been feeling good overall and had almost no nausea in the first trimester. I didn't vomit once. But since last week, I've been having debilitating headaches. They come at all times of the day and night, and I can't function. Sometimes the room starts spinning or I get really nauseous from the pain.

I know I can take Tylenol, but I'm having them so frequently that I don't want to become dependent on pain-relief (not physical, but psychological, dependence). Anyone else experiencing this? Any natural remedies or suggestions?  Hydration doesn't seem to be helping much.

Thanks! 

Re: Debilitating headaches

• Options
    I have has the same issue, it's just an endless headache : I have taken Tylenol but won't take any painkillers either. I don't know what to do but it's do hard to function! Sometimes it turns into a migraine..
  • Options

Your about a week ahead of me, but I've been having the same thing.  Hopefully things are going better for you already. The only thing that really helped me was salt: chips, pickles, and the like.  I drank a ton of water as well, but it wasn't until I upped my salt intake (& I don't shy away from the shaker as it is) that it made any difference.

A little caffeine seemed to help, too.  I either tried watered down coffee or a strong tea, like Irish Breakfast. 

Hope this helps. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Same here.  They last all day sometimes.  I'm not sure if the weather is making it worse because in Ohio we are going from 50 to 15 depending on the day.  I sometimes try a small cup of coffee if I haven't already had my cup for the day.  I've been taking Tylenol sparingly if it gets really bad.  Honestly, the thing that helps me the most is to lay down and take a nap if I can. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Caffeine has seemed to help me, just a hot tea. Also look into doterra essential oils. The peppermint is amazing. I put some on my temples and forehead and it helps so much.
  • Options
    Im 14 weeks with my 2nd set of twins My headaches have almost crippled me, so painful for 2 3days!! I really try to avoid painkillers. Luckily my husband is able to watch our other kids so I can go shut my eyes for awhile. Iv bought sum lavender essential oil and mixed it some grapeseed oil and rubbed it on my forehead and temples. I also have a humidifier that I put it in, in my room. I feel it helps abit xx
  • Options
    Oh!! Maybe that's what it is!!! I had a HORRIBLE headache today and pretty much slept allll day! I will get headaches if I don't drink much water (I normally might drink one glass a day) but when I'm pregnant I LOVE water so I knew that wasn't it! Glad I'm not the only one!!!
  • Options
    Make sure to eat before it hits I always do that and I never caught a headache again I guess it has something to do with low blood sugar.. Hope this helps...
  • Options
    A friend of mine who is much more experienced in pregnancy pointed out to me that I might not be drinking as much water as I thought. I was skeptical because I tend to drink a lot of water. She suggested drinking a big glass of iced water when the headaches come I tried it and it works! A few big glasses of ice cold water over an hour really made the headache go away dehydration and heat!
  • Options

I too have the headaches since week 8. So bad in fact that they prescribed narcotics for me. I have only taken it once but I could not even stand up my head hurt so bad.

I have found that ice packs on my neck or heat over my eyes work. However, the best relief I have found is chiropractic. After my Dr. described  all the ways your body changes with pregnancy and then adjusted me, it was clear that was exactly what I needed. I highly recommend it.

Marrying my Best Friend! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"