Dads & Dads-to-be

5 Thing Thursday

Here we are again.

1) With the talk about music yesterday, what songs make up the soundtrack of your life (i.e. song that you were into in different eras of your life; high school, college, young adult, current... add in, or take out any you want)?

2)  For the married dads/dads-to-be, what song was played during your first dance with your wife?

3-5 are you.

Re: 5 Thing Thursday

• 1) With the talk about music yesterday, what songs make up the soundtrack of your life (i.e. song that you were into in different eras of your life; high school, college, young adult, current... add in, or take out any you want)? 

I'm 37, so my music choice may skew a little older than most on here.

High school: Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit"  Song caught on big early in my HS career and started me down a slightly different musical path than where I was prior.

College: Stone Temple Pilots, "Interstate Love Song".  Purple was released shortly into my college years and it was the favorite song from them and they were my 2nd favorite band (still are) behind Metallica, who by this point had started the Load decline.

Young Adult (I'm defining that as my mid-late twenties now): I went retro, since I was into a bunch of bands, but none of them really as much as the back catalog of my favorite band.  Metallica, "Master of Puppets".  

Current: Foo Fighters, "These Days", or any song really played on the Disney Jr channel.  It is sad, but with a 2 year old, I get kids songs stuck in my head more than I do songs I would listen to normally.

2)  For the married dads/dads-to-be, what song was played during your first dance with your wife?

"Can't Help Falling in Love" by Elvis.  It was supposed to be the Michael Buble version, but the DJ screwed it up (he was the one part of the reception I probably would do over... he changed a lot of the song choices we wanted).

3) My oldest is pretty much over his Hand, Foot and Mouth disease, and I think outside of a day or two, it looked much worse than it made him feel.  Glad it is done now though, because he looked so bad with the rash/blisters that I didn't feel like I could take him out places.

4) Took the kids to see Monsters University in the theater on Tuesday.  Went better than I could have hoped.  2 1/2 year old sat and watched the whole movie in his seat quietly and our nearly 5 month old never cried and seemed to love the huge screen too.

5) This heat/humidity combo can go away any time now.  I can't take the kids outside because they'd melt in like 10 seconds.  I really limits what I can do with the boys.

• PrimePrime member

1) With the talk about music yesterday, what songs make up the soundtrack of your life (i.e. song that you were into in different eras of your life; high school, college, young adult, current... add in, or take out any you want)?

I am way to tired to figure this out right now, but I've been into classic rock and hippie jam bands pretty much my whole life so choose your own adventure.

Better Together - Jack Johnson

3)  My car has been demanding too much of my attention and money recently.  Looking forward to not spending money on this anymore.

4)  Second half of baseball should be entertaining in the NL Central.  Hopefully the Reds can make a move.

5)  Can't wait for the weekend.  I am hoping my wife can let me sleep in a bit this weekend.

• Loading the player...
  • 1.  Not so much songs but entire albums.  High School is when I really got into metal so I was listening to a lot of Slipknot's first album and Pantera "Great Southern Trendkill."  I was probably also listening to a lot of Nu Metal at the time.

College is when I really got into Tool (Lateralus) and 311 (Transistor).  Since then I listen to all types of metal and chill stuff like The Orb and LTJ Bukem.  I'm a fan of Bassnectar too.

The album I am really into right now is "Koi No Yokan" by Deftones.  It is my summer CD and it's amazing!

2.  Our first dance was to "In My Life" by The Beatles.  However, we walked into the reception while "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley was playing.

3.  I've fallen off the workout wagon recently because it is almost impossible to do an Insanity workout in a house that is 87 degrees with 5000% humidity.

4.  We're a little over a week away from the baby shower and two weeks into our birthing classes.  September is coming fast!

5.  You know what I haven't had in awhile?  Big League Chew. 

• PrimePrime member
    imageColtsdad:

"Can't Help Falling in Love" by Elvis.  It was supposed to be the Michael Buble version, but the DJ screwed it up (he was the one part of the reception I probably would do over... he changed a lot of the song choices we wanted).

Our DJ turned out to be awful because unbeknownst to us after he emceed the beginning of the reception and the dances he turned it over to his son.  His son ignored all of our songs to play and not play.  He also played all of the 'participation' songs designed to get people on the dance floor at once.

• PrimePrime member
    imagefutant462:

4.  We're a little over a week away from the baby shower and two weeks into our birthing classes.  September is coming fast!

For us it went really fast until the last 2 weeks.  Then it just dragged.

• We found a group called the Vitamin String Quartet... they cover all sorts of stuff ranging from Jessica Simpson to Tool.  We were going to use a bunch of their stuff throughout and he didn't.  We told the DJ NOT to announce the bridal party like it was a sporting event, he used the music that the championship Chicago Bulls teams used.  We told him one the musts was the song we walked into was one of my wife's favorite songs at the time, Alicia Keys' "No One"... he didn't play it.  We burned the music FOR HIM to play during cocktail hour and dinner... he didn't even bring the CD, he had his wife (whom we were told would be in attendance to assist, but apparently was "sick") bring it and it showed up 15 minutes into dinner.

This was a professional DJ.  He does this for a living.  I don't know how.

• imageColtsdad:
    We found a group called the Vitamin String Quartet... they cover all sorts of stuff ranging from Jessica Simpson to Tool.nbsp; We were going to use a bunch of their stuff throughout and he didn't.nbsp; We told the DJ NOT to announce the bridal party like it was a sporting event, he used the music that the championship Chicago Bulls teams used.nbsp; We told him one the musts was the song we walked into was one of my wife's favorite songs at the time, Alicia Keys' "No One"... he didn't play it.nbsp; We burned the music FOR HIM to play during cocktail hour and dinner... he didn't even bring the CD, he had his wife whom we were told would be in attendance to assist, but apparently was "sick" bring it and it showed up 15 minutes into dinner.This was a professional DJ.nbsp; He does this for a living.nbsp; I don't know how.

Trust me, this is every DJ in the world. I have a bad DJ story, so do all my friends, my cousins, the list goes on and on. They feel that since its their job, they don't have to listen to your suggestions. My friend wanted nothing but Rat Pack stuff played during dinner, instead his DJ played early 90's adult contemporary jams from Toni Braxton and Peabo Bryson.

• imagejack19:
    Extra Credit:  I am definitely having multiple beers tonight and a shot.  I don't care if it sounds like I have a problem lol 

I see no problem with this.  In fact, I think I will join you.   

• imagepolooo26:

1-2) I don't know and I forget. Horrible memmory for these types of things.

Polooo is ashamed because he was a big fan of Michael Bolton and celebrates his entire catalog.

• 1) I realized today I would be perfectly happy just listening to nothing but 90s music. Specifically alternative/grunge stuff.

2) I can relate to having kids songs in your head. To me, one of the biggest hits right now is "Manahmina". You know, that Sesame Street song from the 70s.

3) I've now read a couple articles that are saying we may have another wave of steroid and performance enhancers that will cast a shadow over the 2nd half of this season and dominate headlines.

4) Everytime I want to complain about how "hot" it is here, I read what some of you guys are dealing with. I'm glad I live fairly near the ocean.

5) Who knew Michael Bolton was such a cinemaphile?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • imagepolooo26:
    Is that from Lonely Island? The "I'm on a boat" song is my favorite.

Yep, from the Lonely Island guys, although technically that vid was SNL.

I do love "I'm on a Boat". But I also like Jizz in my Pants. And YOLO is pretty awesome.

I love their albums. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • imagepolooo26:

Which one is your favorite song?

For me, it doesn't get any better than when he sings "When a Man Loves a Woman."

• Fun fact: I'm on a boat was played at my wedding reception unedited and my 82 year old grandma was dancing to it. Good times.

• PrimePrime member
    Was she wearing flippy floppies?

• imagePrime:
    Was she wearing flippy floppies?

Nautical themed pashmina afghan.

• 1. Ive always been a fan of most types of music, but i did have certain genres i would listen to at certain times. High School it was a lot of Slipknot or similar bands when i would draw and softer music while i slept. After high school every time i was in my car i would listen to heavy bassed rap just to make the persons car next to me vibrate. Then Korn comes out with 'Get Up' ft Skrillex and that changed everything i listened to in Dubstep. Then i bought my camaro and now i listen to almost nothing than 60's, 70's & 80's.

2. Lucky - Jason Mraz ft Colbie Caillat

3.  So the is almost upon us, which is always nice. Got a car show that me and my father-in-law are taking my car and his truck out to. Real nice small town. The downtown area has a very old timey feeling to it.

4. So one of the reasons i wanted a classic car was so i could learn how to work on it. So far ive done pretty well. Ive learned to change the oil, i replaced the thermostat and radiator (that was a fun one), and this week ive taught myself how to bleed the brakes and change them. WOW! what a difference that made. Should of done that a year ago.

5. So on a yummier note my wife decided to make me bacon cheese burgers and stuffed jalapenos for dinner tonight. First off our oven sucks so the tops were done but the bottoms were barely cooked, so i just finished them off in a skillet. And may i add that Wright Brand Brown Sugar Bacon is awesome! Went great with the jalapenos. Have a few jalapenos left over, might grill them up this weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"