Special Needs

Apraxia Moms

Good morning! I have another question for you ladies today. Do Apraxic children generally have high tone in the lips, tongue, etc that interferes with the way that they use their oral structures? My son does the thing where he grasps for words, but his SLPs have always said that his main problem is that he has such high tone around the mouth that it is interfering with how he is able to use it. Like, so high that it is hard to get a tooth brush into his mouth. This is the only area that has high tone, the rest of his body is low.
His SLPs focus on a ton of lip rounding and stretching exercises and prefer to do OT first, because they say it really helps him to relax out of the retracted position he tends to stay in. I am just wondering if this is a common characteristic of Apraxia, or something else? I am having trouble finding references to this in the Apraxia literature I have been reading.

Just to clarify, he does have an apraxia dx. He has worked with 3 different SLPs at the same therapy center and they are all saying the same thing.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Apraxia Moms

• abs05abs05 member
    My daughter has the opposite problem--she has low tone in her mouth.  We worked with an OT who showed us how to use chewy tubes and the z-vibe in order to "wake up" her mouth.  From what I understand low tone is more common, but we are pretty new in the apraxia journey.  There is a great group on facebook that might be able to answer your question better.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Thanks!! :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"