17 Weeks Pregnant

17 Weeks and no big baby bump

I am 17 1/2 weeks and this is our first. My husband and I are excited, but I see no big baby bump. There is a little belly, but it hasn't grown since week 15. Is it normal to not see a big baby bump yet. Also, the "experts" say that I should feel the baby by now and I don't. I have been asked if I have any cravings and I don't. Also people have asked if I want to eat everything in sight all the time. I don't, then again I am eating 6 small meals throughout the day that are high in protein and low in sugar and fats. This is my first and I just want to know that the baby is ok

Re: 17 Weeks and no big baby bump

• I'm almost 17 weeks and about the same. My belly and boobs are a little bigger than usual, but I haven't gained any weight and most of my clothes still fit. I'm not especially hungry either. I have always had a really consistant weight, so I think I'm just not very good at gaining weight. I'm just trying to force myself to eat more even if I'm not very hungry. I don't think its that unusual to not have felt the baby yet. I haven't either. If you look at the posts lots of people, especially first time moms, don't feel it until later. I'm looking forward to my ultrasound in a few weeks, because even if I haven't felt the baby yet then I can definately see the baby then! Sometimes I don't feel very pregnant. And when I tell people I often get a "you don't look very pregnant" or "you are really small for 16 weeks" response (thanks people!). The dr. said everything was good at 15 weeks and the heartbeat sounds good so I'm just not going to worry and am going to keep trying to eat more.
  • I'm in the same boat. Exact time frame and everything! I kinda wish I was showing more, but I know everything is healthy with Baby, so I'm ok with it. :
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm also 17 wks prego, it's our 2nd child and feel the same way like you. My first pregnancy was different, I showed and gained weight. I sometimes don't feel pregnant also. Can't wait till our next ultra sound in a few weeks. Maybe it will put me a peace a little. I feel just like all you ladies.
  • Don't worry! I am 17 weeks and just now starting to show. I was very worried like you that I wasn't gaining weight, didn't have cravings, and saw no change in my appetite. I still do not feel that I am eating much more than I did before. I spoke to my doctor during my 16 week appointment about these concerns and she said not to worry. Your OB will check your fundal height and that is what really matters. Although I am now starting to show (which seemed to happen over night!) my OB said it is possible that as a first time mom I would not really show until weeks 20-22. Just keep staying healthy :)
  • It is perfectly normal to not see a bump if you are small framed.  I am 17 weeks pregnant with my second baby, My baby bump did not show up until week 30.  With my second baby now, I still do not have a bump. It is perfectly normal not to feel the baby until 20 weeks.  You will get the "bump" soon enough!
  • No worries about  your size. I am 17 weeks 2nd baby and in the same place. I never got that big during my first pregnancy and gained 25lbs. According to my doctor... If you're at a healthy weight, you need no additional calories in the first trimester, about 300 extra calories a day in the second trimester, and about 450 extra calories a day in the third trimester.

It does not take much to get 300 extra calories a day. If you are not hungry I wouldn't worry too much about. If you eat just because you think your not eating enough even if you are not hungry than you will probably gain more weight than neccesary.

Also, my doctor tells me to ignore people who give you their personal opinons about how big or small you are. They are not doctors and are probably just jealous because they got really fat when they were pregnant...haha!

• im 17 weeks and 2 days preg, my doct told me because of my frame I probably will not show until my sixth or seventh month....right now I dont look pregnant at all...at first he thought I wasnt eating so he threw out a threat about admitting me into a hospital. BUT that clearly was not the case...so dont fret about your size. but I do feel my baby move..all the time and it hurts soo bad why?
  • Hi! 17 weeks just starting to show. No movment yet either. :
  • Nope I am a few days away from week 17 and no big bump for me either my cravings have subsided. But I am thin and had very toned abs, I'm tall 5'6 and its my first pregnancy. My doctor said I'm normal and than when she was due she only looked like she was 5mo pregnant and gave birth to an 8 pound baby. As long as your doctor says you are fine and you aren't experiencing anything strange, well each woman is different.
  • Same boat here. I don't feel pregnant except for random bouts of morning sickness. Dont look it either. The only thing growing is my chest and that was big to begin with. My standard ultrasound is next Monday and everyone reassures me that will help. We haven't seen baby since week 6 when it was just a little thing. Hopefully you'll start to feel a little better about things by then too. I can't wait to feel baby move. I'm afraid Ill miss it the first time.
  • I'm in the 17th week so they would say 16 weeks 5 days today.  I have always struggled to gain weight and i eat several small meals a day and snack, in the morning it is hardest because i'm up early for work but i force myself to have a breakfast even if it is something small. I have a bump but it's not huge yet but the doctor said everything is on track and strong strong heart beat and baby was moving A LOT :), I JUST started feeling baby move.   I think you are just fine so don't worry about peoples comments and such. It's all about you and how you feel.  I also find it encouraging at appointments when they use the doppler thing to check heart beat and you can even hear kicks.
  • I am 17 weeks with twins, so I do have a bump, but I have almost no appetite and have to make an effort to eat and drink enough water. My point in responding is to say that I got a handheld dopplar so I can hear their little heart beats. This is my first pregnancy, and it is nice to have that little piece of mind between appointments. It might make you feel better. However, don't take a chance if you feel like you need to see your doctor. That is why they are there.
  • I am now 17 weeks and this is my husband and I's first child as well. I am not very big either, which I also found odd. I do stay at home and eat when need be and try to eat as healthy as possible. I do on the other hand crave food quite a bit of the time, and if you do start too, it helps to try and eat those and if they're unhealthy try and find something else to substitute it with. I didn't feel any movement with my baby until just this week. Plus, ive read in quite a few places it can take like 22-26 weeks before you feel movement. Hope this helps :)
  • Im 17 weeks with twins. I haven't gain any weight nor is my belly any bigger that is was before i got pregnant. I wonder why because my friend is 17 weeks and has i big bumb but my doctor says its because everyone's body carries different. I also haven't felt any movement. Some times its because your placenta is on top (like mine) at your next sonogram be sure to ask were your placenta is and when would be ideal for u to feel, movement  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"