Special Needs
Options

Hello Everyone/Heart Surgery ?

Hi!

I am now 31 weeks pregnant with my first baby.  She will be a girl named Amanda and her heart has Truncus.  She will need surgery right after she is born.  I will deliver her at CHOP and we will being staying at the Ronald McDonald house.  I am very scared right now, but I know that she will be in good hands.  Has anyone else dealt with anything like this?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hello Everyone/Heart Surgery ?

• Options
    I have no experience with this, but you and your daughter are in my prayers. :-)
  • Options

Welcome!

You may want to edit your post title to say something like "Heart Issues" or "Heart Mommies". Some of those moms kinda lurk/visit here on and off. You may get more responses from moms who have been there done that.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Many thoughts and prayers for Amanda. My daughter had 2 heart surgeries at 8 days old. We didn't find out she had heart defects until she was 2 days old. We are lucky enough to live near the hospital where Brynn had heart surgery, so I have no experience with the Ronald McDonald house. It really is amazing what they are able to fix these days! Even though I know it is very scary for your family, it is good that you know now and that everyone is prepared for the surgery. Are you going to try to breastfeed? I felt that for Brynn, it was a huge aid in helping her heal quickly. Are they doing a c-section, induction, or letting things happen naturally?  I am not sure what I might be able to answer for you, but you are not alone. Please feel free to ask me any questions. Lots of love and prayers for Amanda!

-Julie

• Options
    Hi Julie!  I think they are going to try to deliver her naturally, but I told them that I am good with whatever is best for her.  I am hoping to breast feed.  That way I just feel like I am doing something to help her out.  Thank you so much for the prayers, it means so much to me!
  • Options

When Brynn was born, she was 8lbs 13 oz. One of the heart doctors commented on how great it was that she was so big. He said that the OBGYNs often will "get" the babies out early when they have issues because they are worried about any potential issues in the womb. And then they end up being so small and harder to operate on. So, it's great that they are letting Amanda stay in until she is ready!

As for breastfeeding, I am sure that you already have a pump. If the heart hospital there is anything like ours, they will also have a room with supplies and a hospital  pump that you can use when you are at the hospital visiting. They will also provide you with the bottles for the milk so that they will be able to give it to the hospital to use the milk after she has surgery.  Make sure you have some lanolin too. You will probably get sore in the beginning from pumping, and the lanolin can help ease the pain a bit.

• Options
    Hi. I am so sorry your little girl has a great issue. I was born with a heart issue. They discovered it when I was two months old. I had surgery at age one. I'm now 39. Ran a half marathon. Had a baby. I have had no lasting effects. I just wanted to post to hopefully give you some hope. Sending a prayer and hug your way.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"