October 2012 Moms

BF mamas- do you still nurse to sleep?

Mobile: BF mamas- do you still nurse to sleep?

I'm guilty. I was with DS1 too until we ended our BFing journey at 9 months. He was always a good sleeper though, so I never had a problem when I broke the cycle. Pretty sure I need to stop nursing DS2 to sleep, but the crying breaks my heart. It's just 1000 times easier and more peaceful for him, and us!

Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

Re: BF mamas- do you still nurse to sleep?

• I do for naps sometimes, but not for bedtime...I really don't want to undo the work we did sleep training!

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Yes but I don't see why it's an issue?

• Loading the player...
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    imageRachelilly23:

It's just 1000 times easier and more peaceful for him, and us!

Why not keep doing what works?  Nursing is a good thing - it's not a bad habit that needs to be broken.   Just my two cents.

• CC1017CC1017 member
    I do. It works for both of us. I have no intention of stopping.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    BFP #1 DS born 10/16/12 at 39w6d
    BFP #2 DD lost 11/17/14 at 17w2d
  • Yea I do it for all naps and bed, but when I am not home on the rare occasion she has no problem going to sleep without nursing.
    image                 image
    Lilypie - (52Ft)

• RayT1RayT1 member
    We do, it's the only way I can get DS down for a nap. He nurses to sleep at night too.

October 1st, 2012. 9lbs 2 oz

Jude - 8lbs 1 oz
    August 15th, 2014. 

• YUUUUP. She goes down without it for naps when I'm not there. The two times someone else has put her to bed, they have given her a BM bottle.

That is the last feeding I plan to drop when we attempt to wean at a year. 

DD 9/15/12
  • imageCbeanz:
    imageRachelilly23:

It's just 1000 times easier and more peaceful for him, and us!

Why not keep doing what works?  Nursing is a good thing - it's not a bad habit that needs to be broken.   Just my two cents.

It's argued that it creates poor sleep habits because the baby wakes several times a night (after sleep cycles end), and it's common that babies who nurse to sleep require the same comfort when they wake during the night. Of course it's not true for every baby, but I think that's the biggest argument. I certainly still do not have a baby that STTN entirely, so it's true in our case. We do a bit of CIO in the middle of the night, typically 3 hours after he goes to sleep every night he wakes up and cries for a few minutes before falling back asleep.

I think it's also a concern of not wiping their teeth and gums before bed.

Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• We nurse right before bed but he is always awake going into his crib. Not sure if that is technically nursing to sleep. The only potential problem for me is I have no idea how anyone else will ever be able to put him down for the night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagelady dixneuf:
    Yes but I don't see why it's an issue?

Ferber doesn't like it if your child has sleep issues. It is a "sleep association" and can cause problems if the child wakes often and needs to nurse to go back to sleep and isn't really hungry, just wants comfort (all of this assuming it bothers mom). 

DD 9/15/12
  • Wally3Wally3 member
    No or rarely. I nurse before bed but he is almost always awake when he goes down. Even for middle of the night feeds he is awake when I put him back in his crib.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    Darn babies... always trying to get comforted and stuff.
  • CP0979CP0979 member

imageCbeanz:

haha

we still nurse to sleep 

• imageCbeanz:

I feel like I can't deal w stressing over stuff like whether or not my infant nurses to sleep. I have other stuff to worry about that honestly is more important and if it works it works

• I do.  She won't go to sleep unless I nurse her.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    imageThisIsBrea:

imageCbeanz:

While I tend to agree, I think this might be part of our problem. And my kid still wakes up 6-8 times a night. I try to comfort him without boob, but it's usually all that I can do to get him down. I wouldn't mind if it was a couple times a night, but he's almost 9 months old and still sleeps like a newborn.  That being said, I usually rock him to sleep (didn't used to have to do this, but in the last month he won't go down any other way), not nurse him. Either way, we're screwed over here. And I think sometimes it's easy to forget that your worst night might be someone else's best night.

ETA: If my kid was a decent sleeper, I wouldn't think twice about the nursing to sleep thing.  

Yeah I understand what you're saying.  I just don't like the idea of withholding comfort to my infant.  She will learn to be independent someday, and she'll learn to self-soothe someday, but right now I think there are more age-appropriate things for her to learn, like how to crawl and eat and recognize faces.  

The OP said it's working for them, so I was just saying, why not do what works for you now?  If you run into problems down the road, you can deal with them later.

I can count on 2 hands the number of times my baby has ever STTN.   But getting up 8 times per night is a COMPLETELY different story.

• CbeanzCbeanz member

Brea, have you tried a Binky-tini?

• CbeanzCbeanz member
    BTW I don't mean to make light of your sleep trouble.  Long term sleep deprivation is serious.  
  • imageRVASC811:
    imagelady dixneuf:
    Yes but I don't see why it's an issue?

This.

Me three.
    Birthday

• We were nursingto sleep until a month ago when iI couldn't take the six wake ups. She wasn't nursing when she got up but I figured I should make sure there was no pattern or concern. We nurse after bath but before pj's so we still get that sweet cuddle time but I feel like it will transition to reading books pretty easily at this point when the feeding is ready to drop. Now... The bad news is that it didn't fix our wakeups... Now she'll go back to sleep on her own but she still wakes up some nights.

I say if it works for you And you aren't having other sleep issues... Do it! Nursing has a natural sleep inducing hormone for you and the baby!
  • LorMorLorMor member

This post makes me feel so much better!

Those &%%$# books tell you it's Bad to nurse your baby to sleep and your baby should be putting itself to sleep a minute after it turns 3 months otherwise you are a Bad Parent who deserves all the Bad Habits you get in the future.

I nurse her to sleep at night, she mostly STTN, I don't nurse her to sleep for naps, but I do rock her and sing and put her into her crib asleep. She's been put down awake maybe three or four times in her life. 

• Every kid is different and needs different things IMO.  We nurse to sleep, but he STTN for 12 hrs so i figure my "bad habit" arent doing anything to keep him from self soothing himself back to sleep if he does wake up.  I used to worry bc the books make it seem like every kid needs sleep training at night...ours apparently didnt.  

He also only eats well when sleepy, so i take every sleepy moment to get in a good nursing session 

• I nurse for naps and for sleep and it is our biggest problem. I feel like he is so used to it he wakes up on purpose for it. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • No, unless her MOTN "feedings" count as nursing her to sleep.  Totally guilty of just offering the boob in the middle of the night.  Though last night I decided to try rocking her back to sleep and it actually worked for 2 of her 3 MOTN feeds... Party!!!

I put DD to bed awake and she usually falls asleep within 5-10 minutes, which somehow are usually just babbling.  I am pretty proud of this, though I probably have nothing to do with it hahaha.

DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
  • I will if it's a MOTN feeding, but I try to put her down while she's still awake. My almost 3-y.o. still often needs to be comforted going to sleep, and I think it's because I let the bad sleep habits persist longer than I should have. Trying to fix all my mistakes on DD2!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I may be in the minority here, but we bed share and it works great for us. DS nurses to sleep each night, but it's in bed w DH and I. If he wakes up during the night there's no getting out of bed. Until he night weens it's perfect for us. DH sleeps like a rock so DS and I get the better part of a king sized bed to keep ourselves comfortable at night.
    So far we've had no issues. There's a concert I'd like to go to in 6 weeks, and if husb can't get DS to sleep w a bottle by then I can't go, but that's been the only inconvenience.
    DH works long hours, often not home until 7pm, so a 9:30pm to 9:30 am cycle works well for us.
    image BFP #3 02/14/2012 - EDD 10/20/2012 Started prometrium right away, hoping this one sticks Beta #1 (02/15) 37. Torrey born 10/21/2012 w 6lb 14oz, 19.5" long Beta #2 (02/17) 87 Doubling time 38.91 Beta #3 (02/22) 495 Doubling time 47.84 Beta #4 (02/28) 8108 Doubling time 35.70 ~grow baby grow~ Updated EDD 10/26 BFP #2 01/10/2012 - EDD 09/18/2012, Chemical Pregnancy ended 01/13/2012 BFP #1 12/03/2011 - EDD 08/06/2012, Natural M/C 12/13/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"