C-sections
Options

Where to begin?

Hiya, Ladies! 

I am having a scheduled c-section in October to deliver my twin girls.  I am wondering if there is a FAQ section for this page, or any area for general questions? You see, the problem is, I don't have a lot of questions - but I'm afraid this is b/c I don't know what to ask.  I've had 4 other major surgeries in my life - so the thought of another surgery does not bother me, but, I have a nagging feeling I'm being really naive about it all at the same time.  I've lurked on here a bit - but before I asked any silly questions, just wanted to check if there was a place to go for some solid "newbie" answers.

Thanks so much ladies!  

Me: 30, DH: 40 
TTC since January 2012HSG & Bloodwork: Normal, SA: NormalDx: Unexplained Infertility 50mg Clomid + TI = BFN (three cycles)
50mg Clomid + trigger + IUI = BFP (one cycle)
Beta #1 (12dpo) = 49  Beta #2 (14dpo)= 149

Expecting g/g twins Oct '13

Re: Where to begin?

• Options
    I guess what makes me think I might be going into it blindly is b/c when people find out I'm doing a c-section they always ask, "OMG! Aren't you so scared?" or "I don't think I could do that!! Natural birth was hard enough!" So clearly, I'm either numb to what's about to happen or I really have no idea what I'm getting myself into! Lol
    TTC since January 2012HSG & Bloodwork: Normal, SA: NormalDx: Unexplained Infertility 50mg Clomid + TI = BFN (three cycles)

• Options
    I did not want to have a c-section, but I had a complete previa so it was out of my hands. I cried and cried and googled stuff (which you should NEVER do!) and after everything was said and done it really wasn't that bad. :) It was painful, but there are few women that experience no pain with c-sections or vaginal births. It is major surgery, but complications can happen during any birth. My best advice is to get up and walk as soon as you can. The more you move, the quicker you'll feel better. Just don't over do it and don't be afraid to ask for help! :) GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You will do fine. I too had several surgeries before my csection. I knew what to expect and wasn't as nervous. I used the experience from before to help le recover. I got up and walked as soon as I could. I was pain free in 4 days and got released to drive in 7 days. But everyone is different. So good luck and post any questions you have.

• Options
    Thank you for all of your replies.  I think I'm just going to go forward with the same attitude as I'm not scared of this process.  It's good to know you ladies are here in case any question does pop up...and I will keep lurking to learn from other questions/experiences too.  Thanks!

• Options
    I had an emergency c section with DS and will be having an RCS with this LO.  I wouldn't want it any other way. Recovery wasnt bad and I was back to work after 3 weeks. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

First off, congratulations on your twin baby girls!  This is such an exciting time for you and welcome to the board!

For a little background, I am a planner.  Both in my career (I run a travel agency) and in my life (I was going to have an all natural birth, with a whirlpool tub and a birth ball and my midwife).  Parenthood has been my first foray into truly throwing caution to the wind.  When at 41 weeks (and no progression) I was told my baby was too large to induce and a csection was imminent, I lost my sheit.  This wasn't what I had thought my birth would be like!!!  I had a really ugly cry (you know the kind) in my OB/midwife's office and then had 24 hours to prepare for my first-and most important-surgery ever.

So I came on here and asked a bunch of questions.  I worried about the spinal anesthetic...would I have breakthrough pain or would I end up never getting feeling back (no and no)?  Does the catheter go in before or after I'm numb (after, and it was quite lovely to not have to get up to pee for nearly 18 hours)?  How soon after the surgery did most people have to spend in recovery (it varied, but I was there for less than an hour and they brought my daughter down to me within that time)? I prepared myself for the worst (but shouldn't have, it only caused me to worry and it was unnecessary) and experienced the best.  That first cry heard in the cold OR was the most incredible sound my ears have ever met.

The one thing I WILL tell you, is that I did feel a little bit of a disconnect at first.  Your body has gone through quite a bit with the surgery (while you are awake, no less) and then shortly thereafter in recovery they were trying to get me to breastfeed my little one.  Our lactation consultant sort of roughly grabbed my breast and assisted LO in latching, but what I really needed to do in that moment was just BE with her and drink her in without bringing another task into the mix.  My husband noticed me kind of having a hard time and asked them to back off and give me some time (sweet man).  I allowed LO to receive a little formula to regulate her blood sugar (something I swore I'd never do) just so I could have some time to process what happened.  I had a hard time sleeping that first night because I was so excited and couldn't stop looking at the babe sleeping next to me.

So my recommendation would be to read birth stories, ask questions, but when the time for your birth comes, just go with the flow. I had a great experience with my csection and wouldn't hesitate to have another (and hopefully will)! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"