One & Done: Only child
Options

deck of cards

After spending weeks trying to decide if we are OAD or if we should brave a second.  We spent yesterday talking and reading articles about pros and cons of 1 or 2.  We tried to discuss what we felt we wanted, what life would be like with 1 or 2 etc etc.

Finally, after so much time of really worrying about what we really truly wanted.  With a touch of each of us worried we would lead the other to what we wanted more than what they might want my husband got a deck of cards, split it in 2 (with the same cards in each pile).  We took our half deck, spent some time thinking about what we currently felt was best for us (though we can change later on if we felt a change was due).  We picked our card out of the deck (the number to show how many kids we want). We then closed out eyes and flipped the cards and opened our eyes at same time to see the 2 cards...

we both picked...1

so life is a little easier at the moment as we both think we want one and we can start a life plan with only us and our daughter in mind.

As a side note the deck of cards was an really old looney tunes deck with characters on each card.  I found it hilarious that the 2's all had a picture of the skunk on it hahahahaha.  Maybe that tainted our card pick?

We are so incredibly blessed with our daughter who is so happy and easy going.  I had a difficult pregnancy with over 60hours of medical appointments, about 10 ultrasounds, weekly phone check ins and almost daily email check ins with my high risk team.  I had 4 weeks of bed rest before my daughter came at 35weeks.  She is incredibly healthy, she is meeting all milestones on time on her actual date of arrival. We are so incredibly happy.  We really don't need another child for our family...and I was a tad stressed that the next baby won't be so healthy and lucky if he/she were to arrive so early as well!

I believe we may officially be OAD...and our daughter will greatly benefit with more alone time with us, more travel, more experiences, more peace, and less daycare as I will be able to be a SAHM longer.  SO happy!!!

Luckily our family and friends are not the type to question when the next baby is coming...and any that do can be fended off with comments about how lucky we are our daughter is so healthy after that pregnancy!!  Though, the pregnancy risks are just a small, small part of our decision.

Re: deck of cards

• Options

The skunks made me chuckle lol

Congrats on your possible OAD decision.  Your pregnancy sounds similar to mine.  I was also on bedrest for 4 weeks before giving birth at 35. 

Welcome!

E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"