Pregnant after 35
Options

Alternative to Materniti21 and Harmony

What is the alternative to these tests? I dont want to have to it done because of the cost. Are the results of an amnio and or CVS comparable? Thanks.

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: Alternative to Materniti21 and Harmony

• Options
    Geeps2Geeps2 member

I really don't know what else is out there besides those 2 and the quad screening that coincides with the NT scan.  The perks to the blood tests over amnio or CVS is that the blood test is the most non-invasive way to check for abnormalities besides ultrasound.  Amnio and CVS are both invasive and do carry a risk of miscarriage.  The risk, when done by a DR that is experienced is very low, but there is still a risk. 

I personally would opt for the blood tests first before jumping to CVS or Amnio but that is what I am comfortable with. Speak with your Dr and also your insurance company.  Since I am over 35 my Harmony test was covered and I didn't have to pay anything other than my co-pay.

Good Luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Check with your insurance, you may be covered for either test.  I am covered because of my "advanced maternal age" and because I screened positive (1:58)during first tri blood work.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the Panorama blood test. Very similar to MaterniT21. Also not covered by insurance, but the company gave me a self pay discount for a total price of 195. Some companies do this in order to increase the use of their tests with hopes that insurances will eventually cover them. At the time I had my testing done in June, Panorama was the only test available for a self pay discount at my MFM office. I'm covered by UMR and BCBS and they don't cover any of these tests, even for high risk patients.
  • Options

imageOhiomama2013:
    I had the Panorama blood test. Very similar to MaterniT21. Also not covered by insurance, but the company gave me a self pay discount for a total price of 195. Some companies do this in order to increase the use of their tests with hopes that insurances will eventually cover them. At the time I had my testing done in June, Panorama was the only test available for a self pay discount at my MFM office. I'm covered by UMR and BCBS and they don't cover any of these tests, even for high risk patients.

I have heard of this happening with the other tests, too, so you may want to look into it.

Amnio and CVS give you accurate results, but they are invasive and carry a slight risk of miscarriage.  I had MaterniT21, but if I hadn't my OB recommended doing an NT scan & blood test (he called it integrated screening-- it's a series of tests a few weeks apart), and then doing one of the invasive tests only if the odds were still relatively high.   While it's always your decision, my OB and genetic counselor both leaned towards doing the invasive tests only if other options weren't possible.  That said, the risks of the invasive tests are relatively low (1 in 200 , I think), so I don't want to scare you off them if that's how you decide to go.

photo canthearyou_zpsae132d4c.jpg
  • Options
    Maternity is 200 if you pay cash I just got a 2600.00 bill called them and they lowered it to 200.  it was a great noninvasive test
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"