Gestational Diabetes and VBAC? — The Bump
VBAC

Gestational Diabetes and VBAC?

Does anyone know how having GD affects your odds of having a successful VBAC?

I was just diagnosed with GD, (although it was based on one number out of 3, and it wasn't even over the limit, it was equal to the limit, but I digress), and I was really hoping for a VBAC this time. DS was born via c-section due to face presentation.

Any advice or resources would be helpful. Thanks!

Re: Gestational Diabetes and VBAC?

• I have no advice, but I had GD with my first and I'm assuming I will have it the second time around.  I am still hoping for a VBAC, but from what I have read it can make your odds decrease....only because with GD doctors don't like to let you go past your due date (the placenta can age faster than normal).  Good luck!
  • Thanks! Good luck to you too!
  • Loading the player...
  • I did my one hour test today and expecting the call soon to say I have it again. Hoping to not have to take the 3 hour test because I've already been pricking and I know I have it. Anyway, I'm not sure how it will affect my chances of a VBAC because I'm also pretty sure I won't be diet controlled like last time. However, I just wanted to say best of luck to you. My doctor will not change my care at all if I'm diet controlled and will let me go past my due date. Hopefully, yours will do the same.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • I did and had no problems pushing him out! I was diet controlled.  I would highly recommend strict diet control. That will give you the best chance for a VBAC. Sometimes people fail their 1 hour or it's borderline and they are not tested for the 3 hour when they really should've been. If it were me, I would follow the diabetic diet to make sure that the baby doesn't get too big. :) GL!!!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • IDK how supportive your provider is, but the "big baby" scare tactic is commonly used. If you control your diet really well, your baby is more likely to be a normal weight. Not always the case since some women just make big babies, but to increase your chance for success I would watch what I ate.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for all the support! I did not have GD with DS and he was 7 lb 12 oz. I am waiting to hear back from my OB, hopefully they will let me stick to my original plan of going to 41 weeks before talking about induction or RCS. My glucose levels were not too high so I'm really hoping to control it through diet
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards