October 2012 Moms
Options

So Mad - vent

I have had it with hubby tonight. While I have been in school I asked him to take over managing the budget. I have come to discover this evening that he has been using savings to cover monthly overages on the budget, to the point that he has taken $5,000 out of savings. Every budget that I have looked at going back over the last year has been dipping into savings.

I have asked him over and over whether or not purchases are in the budget or how much we can afford to spend on food, clothing etc. I can think of so many purchases that I wouldn't have made if I had known they would put us over on the budget. 

Two weeks ago I looked at the June budget and discovered that he had taken from savings on that month and told him that we are suppose to put money into savings not take it out.

So, we have been looking at apartments and figuring out what we can afford based on the scenario that I get a teaching job and he has the income from the job he starts in two weeks. We put in estimated costs for somethings and the usual costs for others and came up with about $900 a month going into savings, which wasn't great, but was ok.

I am brushing my teeth and I realize we forgot to include childcare. I said, "That budget isn't going to work." He says, "Why not, there' still $900." I am so mad. he doesn't get it. We have to save!!! We have had this conversation a million times. I don't know how to get the message across to him.

Re: So Mad - vent

• Options
    imagepiffle42:
    imagembm1983:
    Um you have 900 going into savings after everything? Thats a lot.

I agree.

I would be seriously pissed about the money stuff though.

This. I save like 100 a month... Also, if your husband can't budget, you do it. It's not that difficult.
  • Options

imagedotmbc:
    Savings is all relative to your monthly expenses. It sucks that you don't have what you need. Even worse, that your H doesn't share your same attitude about saving. I would be pissed too.

agree. I would be angry, too.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagecerratocc:

imagedotmbc:
    Savings is all relative to your monthly expenses. It sucks that you don't have what you need. Even worse, that your H doesn't share your same attitude about saving. I would be pissed too.

agree. I would be angry, too.  

I agree, it is all relative.  I think 900 is great for savings, but like you mentioned, that doesn't include childcare, so I am not sure what that would bring you down to.  

I would be very mad at hubby for dipping into savings.  We were in the same boat over here, DH didn't stress about saving/would dip into savings to pay for stuff.  I have gotten way more involved in our budget/finances, and am very glad I did.

DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
  • Options
    I can see being mad about him dipping into savings without consulting you. I would be mad too. But I would be happy you are saving regardless of the amount. That's great! I have no idea how much your childcare costs, but if you are close to saving 500 a month, you're doing a lot better than a lot of us... We only put 100 a month into each of the boys' accounts, but we also max out Roth IRA s most years. Not last year and not this year with some family issues, but hopefully we can get back to it next year. Sometimes trouble comes along and throws you off for awhile, but you'll work it out and make it work.
    Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• Options

Saving is great, you will get there but honestly, what sort of childcare do you need? $900 doesn't touch on childcare for me, unfortunately. 

It won't be like this forever. You will get on track.  

• Options
    imagelady dixneuf:

Saving is great, you will get there but honestly, what sort of childcare do you need? $900 doesn't touch on childcare for me, unfortunately. 

I am not sure what the cost is going to be. Where we currently are it's 640 a month, but we are moving to higher cost of living area.

• Options

imageBetty&Co:
    imagepiffle42:
    imagembm1983:
    Um you have 900 going into savings after everything? Thats a lot.
    I agree. I would be seriously pissed about the money stuff though.
    This. I save like 100 a month... Also, if your husband can't budget, you do it. It's not that difficult.

I will be taking over the budget. I had started out doing it, but when I went back to school and was working full time I had asked him to take it over because I was feeling overwhelmed. 

What bothers me is that I would ask him whether or not things like going out to eat were in the budget and he would say yes, even when they weren't. 

• Options
    imageSarahW44:
    imagelady dixneuf:

I am not sure what the cost is going to be. Where we currently are it's 640 a month, but we are moving to higher cost of living area.

for full time daycare?!?! 

• Options
    Is 640 a lot for day care per month? I have no clue. I do realize we are very blessed to have our moms close enough and retired to watch her, so I've never looked into the cost.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagelady dixneuf:
    imageSarahW44:
    imagelady dixneuf:

Yes. We currently live in a very low SES area. However, I have been calling around and we are looking at around $1,000 a month for the area we are moving to.

• Options

imagehboo2011:
    Is 640 a lot for day care per month? I have no clue. I do realize we are very blessed to have our moms close enough and retired to watch her, so I've never looked into the cost.

it's a fraction of what I pay. 

• Options
    nealblnealbl member
    imageSarahW44:
    imagelady dixneuf:
    imageSarahW44:
    imagelady dixneuf:

Yes. We currently live in a very low SES area. However, I have been calling around and we are looking at around $1,000 a month for the area we are moving to.

I will be paying 1320 a month for two kids and that is with dd1 moving to a more expensive preschool. It's crazy how different daycare can cost from place to place
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's like 2,000 a month
    Nannys are more

• Options
    Wow that's amazing..900!? My income is low, I long for the day I can manage to put even 50 away.
    Sometimes people need a wakeup call..
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DH and I haven't been saving (besides retirement) since I've been staying at home.  We knew it would be temp like that until I went back to work.  All the money I've made from this summer job (minus the cost of the sitter) are going into savings.  And if I continue to work part time in the fall it will all go to savings. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"