Special Needs

Therapies for ASD/SPD

Hey! DS is almost 2, and was born with several genetic issues. He has been attending private speech therapy since Feb and just started PT there to try and help with balance and some of his sensory seeking behaviors. He has also had EI services since he was 3 months old due to his genetic issues (vision mainly). His consultation with the Developmental Pedi isn't until Nov, and we have already prepared ourselves for what we will likely hear that day - language delay, doesn't point, follows straight lines out of the corner of his eye (runs back and forth along the fence is one example), slams himself into both things and people, and several other concerning behaviors. What therapies might they recommend beyond the speech and PT? I guess I need to research some more, but what therapies do your ASD/SPD kiddos receive?
K, born 05/06/10 B, born with a few surprises 07/20/11  

Re: Therapies for ASD/SPD

• My daughter also has vision issues, along with ASD with a lot of sensory issues and developmental delays. For us OT has helped a lot with addressing her sensory needs and ABA has helped us teach her to point and start sign language with her
  • No one has mentioned OT as of yet...I am thinking his PT might have them evaluate him soon, though, since he has mentioned that what everyone else was calling "clumsiness" or "just being a boy" (running into things, always having a knot on his head) is actually sensory seeking behavior. Some of it can definitely be attributed to his vision issues - he has no vision in one eye and does run into things on that side more often and also the off-balance vision does interfere with his depth perception - but his PT thinks it goes beyond that. He called him "dangerous to himself" at his last appointment because he is so out of control and has no fear. He mentioned trying a weighted belt to help control his movements a bit and to help him feel more grounded. He actually just started PT recently, so he is is still getting to know him/trying to figure him out. He has great gross motor skills, they are just very intense and out of control most times. 
    K, born 05/06/10 B, born with a few surprises 07/20/11  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"