Special Needs
Options

Potty training question

My son just turned three last month and has pretty significant MERLD.  Like, conversations are just him pointing things out in the room (thats a green turtle) or saying he wants to "go bye bye in mommy car.  Go see grandma"  This is huge since he said no two word phrases or ANY verbs 8 months ago.  We have been doing great with private speech.  However, like other kids with MERLD, he usually does not understand much when being talked to (receptive) unless its something we have practiced A LOT.  And even that is very limited at this time.

My husband is pretty much the over-optimistic/borderline denial person between us. I know you are supposed to watch for cues that a child is "ready" for PT.  My son doesn't even acknowledge he is wet or pooped.  I comment on it while I change him and it doesn't seem to register.  Seriously, its the least of his problems.  However, despite finding a preschool in the fall that is ok with him in diapers (almost all in my area are not ok with this), my husband wants to potty train him.  This is great if he understood what you said to him, if you could bribe him, use a sticker chart, or if he would tell you he needs to go potty. 

I am sure some of you may have had success at PT  even with circumstances similar to me.  I just feel like its not his time yet.  My husband thinks since I am a teacher I have "THE WHOLE SUMMER" so why am I not taking advantage of this time I have?  He's being such a bully about it saying that people are going to start judging us as parents.  I think really he is more worried about himself than our DS.  My son not only has MERLD but also SPD and we are now getting private OT as well to get him to eat more than cereal, cheese, chicken, applesauce, rice and crackers. 

Another random question-- his poop is very soft and not an actual stool-- soooooo yeah.... don't know about that and potty training either.  The pedi was not concerned when I asked about it and blamed it on his diet. SIGH....

If you read all of this, thank you.... I just am at a loss.  My husband just can't handle his feelings some times, especially the days that are hard. We also just had a baby three months ago so thats adding extra stress too.

You girls can all relate.  I love DS to death and I want him to reach his potential, but I know its not for me or DH to decide how long things will take.  I want to hear the words "I love you mommy" but I know I will have to wait patiently for that too.

Re: Potty training question

• Options
    I should also add... ASD was ruled out for now but what also colors my husbands optimism is that he knew numbers 1-10 and his letters the month before he turned two.  He knew all shapes--trapezoid--stuff like that and colors by 2.5 and knew how to count to 37 and all the united states and where they went on the map (we have a puzzle of melissa and doug) and looks at objects and breaks things apart in its shapes-- like the car has circle wheels, rectangle window etc....  he says some crazy stuff but can not understand much of what you say.

• Options

It is great you husband wants to potty train him!

If it is that important to HIM I would suggest HE try a 3 day weekend.

I am sure that, despite your DS showing NO SIGNS of being ready, it will be a successful endeavor because he can count to 37.

*end sarcasm font*

I am sorry your DH is not on board regarding your son's readiness for PT-ing. I understand why he is wanting to push it, but only when your child is ready will there be success. Why set DS up for having a frustrating experience and failure? Nate is not potty trained. He is showing no signs of readiness. I place him on the potty and hope to catch him ready to go, but it doesn't happen consistantly because he is not ready. 

I am also sorry that your DH does not realise that knowing numbers, shapes, etc does not rule out Autism. There are plenty of people with genius IQ's and great rote memory skills that cannot function without serious supports in society. 

Hugs. 

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"