Dads & Dads-to-be

5 Thing Thursday

1) How was your 4th?  Anything special/cool happen?

2) How did your wife/fiance/girlfriend tell you that you were going to be a dad?

3-5 are you

Re: 5 Thing Thursday

• 1) How was your 4th?  Anything special/cool happen?

Was OK.  Worked, but with the 8 hours of holiday pay and double time, I was making close to $54/hr.  Afterwards, went to my parents house for a cookout.  Coolest thing that happened there was watching my brother interact so well with my oldest.  They were drawing with sidewalk chalk on the front sidewalk and later that evening were chasing and catching lightning bugs... well, my son did most of the chasing, my brother did the catching for him.

2) How did your wife/fiance/girlfriend tell you that you were going to be a dad?

With our first "sticky baby", we simply watched the stick together, as we were actively trying and just came off of the loss of our first one so we weren't trying to be cute.  With our second, she was a bit more sneaky.  She ran out and bought a test without me knowing after work, came home, went to the bathroom, took the test and waited for it all without my knowledge.  When it came up positive she leaned out the door smiling and I asked "What?"  She showed me the test and I said "You going to take it?"  and she said "Already did."  To which I said, "What did it say?"  Her response, "I wouldn't be showing you if it wasn't positive, silly!"

3)  My oldest currently has Hand, Foot and Mouth disease.  He got it from daycare, and it is fairly common from what I read, but so far it is no fun.  He spiked a fever on Tuesday and acted very lethargic and woke up yesterday with a rash with blisters around his mouth yesterday morning.  He's got a few on his arms and legs too, but not too bad.

4) The Cubs started the Theo Epstein "Everything Must Go Sale" early this year.  By the trade deadline, it is quite possible that there will only be 4 or 5 names I'll recognize from Opening Day.

5) Life just seems to work against you sometimes.  I had to work 12 days straight, which meant no real time with the kids for the 4th, so on the morning of my first day off in 2 weeks, my son is sick with blisters around his mouth that frankly just look bad so we can't go out and do anything... and today is the first day the humidity has dropped to a comfortable level in like 3 weeks.  We were going to take him to see Monster's University in the theater for his first real movie experience yesterday, and I was going to take them to the zoo today, but all that went up in smoke.  Oh well.  At least in the grand scheme, hand, foot and mouth isn't that big of a deal, it is more of an inconvenience.

• imageColtsdad:

4) The Cubs started the Theo Epstein "Everything Must Go Sale" early this year.  By the trade deadline, it is quite possible that there will only be 4 or 5 names I'll recognize from Opening Day.

Hey, it worked in "Major League."  

I'm sorry to hear about the HFM your son is experiencing.  That sh!t is not fun at all.  I hope he gets better soon. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagepolooo26:

4) Went to a backyard pool last night. They had a diving board and a slide. My son loved both. I even got him to take his water wings off. He's getting the kicking down but he's not strong enough to keep his head above water yet. He's brave enough to jump in without his wings with no one catching him though. We just have to be very careful.

We haven't hit the pools yet this summer, but your son I'm sure is more brave than mine.  My oldest still hates getting his head wet.  Washing his hair in the bathtub is a 5 minute scream filled ordeal still.  It isn't like the shampoo is doing it, it is the Johnson & Johnson "No More Tears" variety, and yet he still loses his mind the second he gets his head wet.

• 1.  We visited my parents in Chicago.  BBQ, played bags (or cornhole or baggo  depending on your region), played catch with my Dad for the first time in over 10 years, and drank a ton of liquor.  We also visited Michigan City on Saturday but it rained so the beach day wasn't that nice.

2.  After our loss in October DW started charting everyday.  We were in Chicago for New Years and she took a couple tests, each line darker than the previous.  We celebrated with pizza.

3.  We went to our first Hypnobirthing class yesterday.  It was interesting to watch the Dad's because a couple of them seemed pretty attentive, while the others looked like they were in line for the gallows.  The class seems pretty interesting and for me, I think it will help with some of my anxiety about the big day.

4.  You know what sucks?  When your cousin gets married a year ago in a backyard ceremony and then proceeds to plan ANOTHER wedding a year later, pretty much because they didn't invite enough people the first time, and you have to attend.  Wedding part 2 on Saturday  :/

5.  I had to watch Jurassic Park last night after the posts from yesterday.  For me it ranks up there with T2, Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark, as a movie that I will never get tired of watching and will cause me to be late for things if it's on TV. 

• imagepolooo26:
    imagefutant462:

4.  You know what sucks?  When your cousin gets married a year ago in a backyard ceremony and then proceeds to plan ANOTHER wedding a year later, pretty much because they didn't invite enough people the first time, and you have to attend.  Wedding part 2 on Saturday  :/

Please tell me you don't have to bring another gift.

I hope this helps them around the house. 

• imagefutant462:

3.  We went to our first Hypnobirthing class yesterday.  It was interesting to watch the Dad's because a couple of them seemed pretty attentive, while the others looked like they were in line for the gallows.  The class seems pretty interesting and for me, I think it will help with some of my anxiety about the big day.

I can NOT do self-hypnosis. My mind just wanders. I'm like "you're boring, I'm gonna think about something more fun". So yeah, I didn't mind the class, except for the exercises where I was the one with my eyes open, looking around the room to see if anyone else was. One other dad occasionally opened his eyes, especially in later classes.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • 1) My 4th was good. My son is still too little for fireworks, but I had a four day weekend, so it was awesome.

2)  We were actively trying, so she had me watch after she peed on a stick to see the color change. Then she peed on another just to be sure (it was a 2-pack)

3) My son is supposed to start Day Care in September. I'm already a little concerned about all the diseases he'll catch there, although I know socially it will be awesome for him. Still a bit worried though; he's never really been watched by non-family.

4) Both of my MLB teams are pretty much toast and we're not even at the all star break.

5) I'm so bored of work. But not of getting paid, oddly enough.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • imageLuckyDad:
    imagefutant462:

I can NOT do self-hypnosis. My mind just wanders. I'm like "you're boring, I'm gonna think about something more fun". So yeah, I didn't mind the class, except for the exercises where I was the one with my eyes open, looking around the room to see if anyone else was. One other dad occasionally opened his eyes, especially in later classes.

The class is right after work so it helped that I was pretty tired going into it.  Basically I am just along for the ride on this hypnosis thing and if it works for DW then I will be supportive throughout the classes.  

At the end of the class they played a video of different pictures of active labor/births/"inspiring images" set to quite possibly the corniest song about birthing I've ever heard.  It was all I could do to keep from laughing as the singer was belting out "I will nurturrre you and love you with every ounce of my being" do bee doooo.  Horrendous. 

• PrimePrime member
    imagefutant462:

1.  We visited my parents in Chicago.  BBQ, played bags (or cornhole or baggo  depending on your region), played catch with my Dad for the first time in over 10 years, and drank a ton of liquor.  We also visited Michigan City on Saturday but it rained so the beach day wasn't that nice.

Cornhole.  Everything else is unacceptable.

• PrimePrime member

1) How was your 4th?  Anything special/cool happen?

We stayed in our neighborhood and went to a cookout where they shot off fireworks.  We met some more neighbors that we had never seen before.  The little guy fell asleep at the start of the fireworks and started snoring.

She came out of the bathroom when I was still half asleep.  She had a wide-eyed look on her face and just said, "let's have a baby."

3)  I've been given a bit of a promotion at work.  I am starting to pick up a bunch of new responsibilities.  Should be good and lead to some more money which will be helpful now that my wife is staying at home.

4) Little guy is starting to enjoy bath time.  He learned how to splash this week and thinks its the best thing ever.

5) The Reds have been tanking hard over the last week.  Lost series to the Mariners and Brewers since sweeping the Giants.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"