New Jersey Babies
Options

Registering a bit over whelmed

My husband and I went to babies r us to register today and were in the store for 30 minutes and walked out . Is it just me our does your mind get crazed by all the things that need to be bought? We started with the crib and comforter sets first and both were butting heads in what to pick out! I think I am better going with my sister and feel the gift registry is not for guys. What is every one else doing?

Re: Registering a bit over whelmed

• Options
    My husband and I went to buy buy baby and made an appointment with a personal shopper.  Since this is our first child, we weren't sure what was needed vs. what was not.  They were quite helpful and we learned a lot.  We were there for 2 1/2 hours and we didn't complete our registry.  I am also going to register at babies r us since there are things that buy buy baby carries that I don't like such as the options for bedding.  Some of the items you put on the registry the guy will not care about and you're better off doing on your own or with the help of your sister.  Good Luck!
  • Options

We read the book Baby Bargains (or rather I read it and reported back to DH) before we went registering.  Then we went to Buy Buy Baby and had a personal shopper go around with us.  It made it a LOT less overwhelming having an idea of what we wanted going into it and then having the assistance from them was an added bonus.  We did most of our registering in one evening, though we did leave a few things to go back and decide later (we still need to pick a high chair).

DH liked being involved, especially when it came to things that would impact him (the car seat, stroller, carrier, monitors, etc).  A few of the other things I could tell he was zoning out during, but in general it was nice having him there.  You want to make sure you both are comfortable with the stroller, etc.  He took control of the monitor since he's into the gadget-y stuff, which I was fine with.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My husband and I went to NessaLee Baby in Livingston this weekend just to check out strollers and ended up starting a registry.  They ended up spending over an hour with us just demoing the different strollers that were available, discussing pros and cons of each, etc.  Their service is really outstanding.  While I may supplement with a Target registry, this will probably be my main registry (family members have web access to my registry and since they're local and keep many things in stock, can deliver gifts quite quickly.) I loved going to a boutique baby store vs. a behemoth. 

Note: we only registered for the stroller at this point but they invited us back for an appointment to go through the other things we need and add those to the registry too.   

• Options
    I left my hubby home (he is not a big fan of shopping) and brought my mom and sister in law.  They were both a huge help and told me what I need to get.  I did babies r us and I also registered on amazon for things they didn't have.  It was overwhelming but the fact that you can add/remove things online from babies r us was a huge help.  I scanned a ton of stuff and then narrowed it down and removed duplicates in front of the computer.
  • Options
    Dh and I went to BRU together. He loved being part of the process and deciding what to get for lo. We spent about two hours there before it was time for me to eat, so we finished everything up online.
  • Options

I second Baby Bargains book - that was my go-to for everything. DH came to pick out big things but the rest I did on my own. Also, using any friends' advice who recently had kids can be a great resource as well. 

It can be very overwhelming. I walked out the first time I went in there to register too (DH was there as well). Much better after I read the book.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"