Special Needs

Patching question

I am an extremely infrequent bump poster but yesterday DD was diagnosed with a lazy eye. She is supposed to wear a patch for 1 hour a day.

Today's patch attempt has not been successful. She cried and as soon as I let go of her hands she ripped it off. At 14 months she's too young to bribe, any suggestions for getting her to wear the patch?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Patching question

• Hello I am a serious lurker and don't post much but I do have a tip that may help. My daughter has HIE and a lazy eye due to it. She is 20 months and we have been patching for a few weeks now for 4 hours a day. We found that the best way to get it on is to wait until she falls asleep, once she has been out for a few and we know she's fully asleep we carefully place the patch on her. It helps if she falls asleep in the carseat because the angle is perfect to place it. She stays asleep and when she wakes up the patch is on and she doesn't seem to care that its there. We tried getting it on when she was awake and it was a complete disaster! To get it off I wait and do it when I change her diaper. She already fusses and hates that process so I just pull it off and she just associates the annoyance with the diaper change and not the patch removal.  Hope this helps and good luck! 

• imagetjstarz7:
    Hello I am a serious lurker and don't post much but I do have a tip that may help. My daughter has HIE and a lazy eye due to it. She is 20 months and we have been patching for a few weeks now for 4 hours a day. We found that the best way to get it on is to wait until she falls asleep, once she has been out for a few and we know she's fully asleep we carefully place the patch on her. It helps if she falls asleep in the carseat because the angle is perfect to place it. She stays asleep and when she wakes up the patch is on and she doesn't seem to care that its there. We tried getting it on when she was awake and it was a complete disaster! To get it off I wait and do it when I change her diaper. She already fusses and hates that process so I just pull it off and she just associates the annoyance with the diaper change and not the patch removal. nbsp;Hope this helps and good luck!nbsp;

Thanks so much for the suggestion! I would never have thought to put it on her while she's asleep. She's napping right now, I think I'll sneak in her room and stick it on her : thanks again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We did not have wearing problems, but we did have removal problems. Nate's skin is pretty sensitive so the sticky on the patches was too sticky and pulled hard at his skin.

I ended up trimming around the patch to make the adhesive part thinner and I also used a bit of baby powder on my finger and tapped it around the edge to knock down the adhesive. You can also stick the patch to you shirt or pants before applying and that will break down the adhesive too.

Happy Patching!

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• We briefly patched DD2 but It was for much more than 1 hour/day from what I remember.
    I just wanted to add, I have amblyopia (lazy eye) that was never treated (i'm also near sited, far sited, and have an astigmatism in each eye, but that's neither here nor there!) 
    Do what you HAVE to do, I can only see the giant E in one eye and my vision is 20/400 =(  
    It sucks!
    DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• As someone who has personally BTDT with patching. I will say that the old patches smelled horrible. I hated wearing it because the smell would give me headaches (keep in mind I was 4) and I can even tell you where I hid the entire box of patches so I wouldn't have to wear them. I think the suggestion of putting them on when your DD is asleep is awesome. 

I had 4 surgeries between 6 months and 2 years of age and am going in for an adjustment at 33 years old in a few months. My daughter's pediatric opthomologist took one look at me and booked me for surgery. The cool thing is he trained under the pediatric opthomologist that I saw as a kid. 

Also, the Children's Eye Foundation Sells these really cute patches: https://www.childrenseyefoundation.org/index.php/learn-more/our-store
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"