Food Allergy
Options

Milk Allergy, Eczema, and Reflux OH MY!

Ok so first off let me say that I work in the medical field as someone who sees kids frequently with developmantal delays/disorders so quite naturally I worry myself sick over my child. My little boy was born in January of 2013 so he is about 5 months old. We initially tried breastfeeding (8 days) due to medical issues with me, no milk supply, mastitis, a poor latch/suck, and over a pound weight loss in my little guy we went to formula feeding. So to make a long story short my LO wound up with reflux at 4 weeks, eczema at 6 weeks, and bloody stools at 2.5 months. So we went to alimentum (using hydrocortisone cream and MANY different creams/lotions, and also zantac and eventually prevacid). As of right now my LO is now off of Zantac and his xpitting up has GREATLY decreased. He is not sitting up yet but can roll well. He is making all kinds of noises, loves interactions with his mommy and daddy (wants human interaction ALL the time), and smiles and giggles all the time. His eczema is still pretty severe except for the 2 weeks we are allowed to use hydrocortisone. We are supposed to see a dermatologist in August. So my questions are:

*What in the world should I do for his eczema: I have tried vanicream, cetaphil restoraderm, Aveeno products, and aquaphor. Right now the things that work the *best* are straight vasoline at every diaper change and a bath each night. Even with this his skin is still red, bumpy, and inflamed looking. It is not infected (Dr. saw it and stated it wasn't). Would Neocate or Elecare help!? *Also being in the medical field I am terrified of developing Autism and I have read online (though I know I shouldn't) that a lot of kids with reflux, milk allergy, and eczema wind up with Autism, Aspergers, or Sensory issues.
Any moms out there with previous refluxers, milk allergic, and/or eczema calm my fears?! We are already on an alternative vax schedule because all the vaccines terrify me as well.

Re: Milk Allergy, Eczema, and Reflux OH MY!

• Options
    EmR22EmR22 member

My DD had severe reflux and severe eczema which led her to be diagnosed with food allergies. (Eczema, food allergies and asthma are all correlated)  she does not have autism, aspergers or sensory issues, she is now 5 and perfectly healthy. 

For eczema we were told to do soaker baths from our allergist. You fill the tub with warm water and if you can lay them in the tub. Then wet towels and lay them on her. We would cover her entire body including her head (so just her nose and eyes were out). We would leave her in for 15-20 minutes. The purpose is to re-hydrate the skin. The towels keep the water warm so she wouldn't get cold. She was so comfy that most times she would actually fall asleep in there so I would just hang out in the bathroom.

After getting her out we would immediately put Vanicream on her. When she was really bad our allergist prescribed a steroid cream to use. We would do the soaker bath, put a small amount of steroid cream on her and wrap the bad areas in gauze for a few hours. The cream would soak in.  

We hated to use steroid cream but she was little and itchy and her skin was starting to get infected. We used minimal amounts and only when really necessary. The soaker baths twice a day with just Vanicream did wonders. We also kept our a/c on constantly and dressed her in light clothes all the time because she would flare up when she was too hot and sweaty.

She has grown out of the reflux and very rarely gets eczema outbreaks at the age of 5. Hope this helps some until you get into the allergist! 

• Options
    Thank you. I will try the soaker bath and maybe give the vanicream another shot. He is just so red all the time that it hurts me!
    Its reassuring to hear others outgrew these issues!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks crash into me and salty love.
    I use homemade detergent that is ivory soap, borax, washing soda baking soda occasional vinegar. I also don't use any chemicals to clean with anymore. When I apply HC cream I put it on first wait a few minutes then apply vasoline. I am thinking that maybe we should see an allergist in addition to the dermatologist because I have eliminated any possible allergens that I can. Our doctor keeps insisting we stick with alimentum because he's gaining weight slow steady and we haven't had any bloody stools reflux has improved.
    I don't know. My husband keeps telling me the terrible skin is genetic because everyone in his family has eczema and I do as well. DH also has psoriasis. I just hate to accept that since we can't seem to get it under control.
  • Options
    I use two things for my baby girl's eczema.  She gets bathed and lotioned with Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter soap/lotion.  That helps a lot.  The patches that are really bad also get Medicine Mama's Sweet Bee Magic, which is an ointment.  I also tried everything else and found that these, more natural, products worked way better than anything else.  I hope your LO feels better!

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    DD had horrible eczema birth til 2 yrs. she had a really bad head to toe break out which brought me to 3 trips to the dermatologist over 6 weeks. I was determined to put an end to it. I couldn't stand watching her itch and the dry patches anymore.

What worked for us was sleeping in wet pjs under dry pjs. Same with socks. Cerave in the tub, 3-4x a day, used All Free and Clear detergent. During the 6 weeks I also used a RX steroid ointment which helped a lot, it just sucks putting that on their delicate skin. She bathed in Robathol bath oil. I got it online, it's an oily cleanser for the bath, helps retain moisture. This was all while I had a 6 week old too, after 6 weeks it cleared up, the docs were amazed that I got it completely gone! She's had a few lil spots since then on her legs that I've been able to get rid of with either extra cerave or the RX cream, but she's been clear for almost 1 year. It's been incredible, I still constantly admire how beautiful her skin is... For so long it hurt to look at. So you can do it, try everything til you find what works. What works for some doesn't work for others so you have to try it all. I researched for hours every night looking for our cure. Good luck to you guys!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"