Oklahoma Babies

Delivery at OU Medical Center

Has anyone delivered at OU Medical Center? What was your experience like? any tips, do's, or don'ts? I'm a little over a month away from my due date with my first baby, and I'm starting to get nervous! Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated!

Re: Delivery at OU Medical Center

• My SIL delivered there, horrible experience in which her uterus was ripped in half! I have also known a few people who have malpractice suits against that hospital for neglect and leaving gauze in an incision. I do t want to scare you at all, maybe the people I know are just unlucky, but I would never go there for any reason personally. I delivered at Lakeside women's hospital with my first and loved it. Mercy has also come highly recommended to me.
    This is #2. I am 23 and my beautiful daughter will be 4 this summer. DH is 24 and a wonderful step-dad. We are so excited TTC since December 2012.
  • Oh my! That's a little unnerving.... I have also heard good things about lakeside and mercy. We had chosen to deliver at OU early on simply because we wanted to be right there at the children's hospital in case anything were to happen. We have a history of miscarriages and blood type incompatibility issues, and so in case baby needed a blood transfusion right away, we figured children's hospital was the place to be. However, our pregnancy has gone soooo smoothly we really are showing no other risks than a typical delivery! So now, I'm just hoping the rest of the delivery goes smoothly!
  • Loading the player...
  • Good luck to you!  I hope everything goes well.  Mercy also has one of the top NICU's in the state, so if baby's health is a concern that would also be a good place to be. 
    This is #2. I am 23 and my beautiful daughter will be 4 this summer. DH is 24 and a wonderful step-dad. We are so excited TTC since December 2012.
  • Go with mercy if its not too late..... Honestly I don't even take DS to ou children's because any time I had to take him to the ER they were nothing less than entirely unhelpful. Go with mercy. I cannot say it enough.
  • I'm six months pregnant and so far my experience at OU has been great but I have no idea about the delivery. Praying it goes smoothly.
  • Are you with a midwife or OB/GYN? I'm about to have my first appointment at OU with a midwife and these comments about OU are making me nervous now. I'm new to OK and so have no idea which hospitals/women's centers are the best...
  • I delivered my son there with Leanna Harkess, she is absolutely AMAZING! We had the best experience ever! I have sent two other friends to her, and both ended up loving their birth experience. My SIL used one of their doctors to deliver and had a wonderful experience also. I'd never go anywhere else!
  • I delivered my son there with Leanna Harkess, she is absolutely AMAZING! We had the best experience ever! I have sent two other friends to her, and both ended up loving their birth experience. My SIL used one of their doctors to deliver and had a wonderful experience also. I'd never go anywhere else!
    Thanks for your reply! I'm going to be meeting Leanna for our second appointment in August! Glad to hear she's great. I was getting worried after reading some of these comments, but I was pleasantly surprised after our first appointment last week! We saw Debbie Melser.  Everyone was so friendly and helpful and weren't condescending to me since I was a FTM. I felt at ease, and I really like that they have an "anytime number" where you can ask questions about your pregnancy :) I'm looking forward to having a tour of the birth area!
  • I'm seeing Dr Reid at OU and we love her. I'm satisfied so far with their care and my experience. I had a coworker deliver there. This past December and they recommended OU as they had a wonderful experience. I hated the first doctor I saw in Norman so we went to OU and I'm really happy with that decision.
  • I had a baby there 12 months ago and I am pregnant again and I wouldn't deliver anywhere else. They're amazing
  • If I wasn't having a home birth, it's the only hospital I would have my baby in.
  • I'm currently going to OU Med Center for the simple fact that I don't have health insurance except what is covered through the VA, and they gave me a full referral there so my prenatal care is completely free for me. I had the choice of either OU Med Ctr or somewhere in Midwest City… I figured I would be better of at OU! My previous 3 births were at a midwife center in Maryland, and I hate that I have to go to a hospital to begin with, but since this is baby #4 for me I'm not too concerned about getting what I want for my delivery. I have never had any complications other than never making it past 38 weeks, so I think I'll be ok. It's good to hear other's experiences though! I really hate having to go to a hospital,so anything I can do to be more prepared on what to watch out for will make the experience better!
  • I know I'm a little late to this, but I delivered at OU a couple of years ago and had a fabulous experience. I'll be going back again this time around. I see the midwives there and can't say enough about them!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"