Natural Birth
Options

Circumcision (baby) - Homebirth

I am planning a homebirth, so I can have a waterbirth. I wanted to know how you got your son circumcised after the homebirth. The midwife doesn't offer the service, so I am assuming the pediatrician does it or I will have to take him to the hospital at some point to get it done.

*I'm not seeking opinions about whether or not I should circumcise; just how it is done after a homebirth.

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

Re: Circumcision (baby) - Homebirth

• Options
    JKB1986JKB1986 member
    I didn't have a home birth but at the hospital the pediatrician does it so I assume you could just make an appointment with your pediatrician afterwards.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    AmyRIAmyRI member

It was actually an OB, not a pediatrician, that circumcised my DS. Does your midwife work with an OB that she could recommend?

eta: We paid about $125 for it. Insurance would cover it with the "surgery" copay of $150, but the total bill was less than that so it's all we owed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #3 Due April 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The pedi would likely be able to do it or recommend someone who could.  If you live in an area with a large Jewish or Muslim population, they often have people who are licensed to perform circumcision.  The Jewish one is called a "mohel" (don't know about the Muslim one). 

However, that may not be covered by insurance and can be pricey.  Ours will be $700 but that is having him do it at the location of our choice (which will require him to drive an hour each way) plus perform the ceremony as well as the actual procedure.  The one we are using is an OB and said to expect around $200 to be reimbursed by our insurance. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My son's pediatrician did it. Took him forever to finally give us some stronger medication to get rid of DS's yeast infection though. 

I don't think hospitals do them anymore, but I could be wrong. We paid about $200 for DS's circumcision. 

• Options
    *LrCg**LrCg* member
    We had a Mohel do it and we are not Jewish. I would never go to a doctor. We were able to be with our son, DH actually held him, during the procedure, the Mohel will come to your house, and they do not strap them down. It was over in 30 seconds and he did not cry.
  • Options

image*LrCg*:
    We had a Mohel do it and we are not Jewish. I would never go to a doctor. We were able to be with our son, DH actually held him, during the procedure, the Mohel will come to your house, and they do not strap them down. It was over in 30 seconds and he did not cry.

I have nothing against a Mohel, but I was able to be with my son when he was circumcised. Granted, I didn't get to hold him and he was strapped down though. I did get to touch him and hold his hands. 

• Options
    Thank you all for the information!! I will find out if our pediatrician does it. If not, I'll ask the midwife for a referral.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

image*LrCg*:

Wow, I didn't realize it was such a quick procedure. I expected it to at least last about 5 minutes. Your son got the type of procedure where they cut the foreskin???

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    abell77abell77 member
    Just make an appointment with your pediatrician.  The hospital I delivered at does not do circs so just call your pediatrician asap after birth to set up an appointment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With DS, our OB was also a Mohel so he did it the day after his birth. Even though we are not Jewish I would consider having a Mohel do it at our house, otherwise I guess a pediatrician would do it 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    *LrCg**LrCg* member
    imageMommyKristin88:
    imageLrCg:

Wow, I didn't realize it was such a quick procedure. I expected it to at least last about 5 minutes. Your son got the type of procedure where they cut the foreskin???[/quote

Yes circumcision is the cutting of the foreskin. Stats show that Mohels do it much faster and its less painful then doctors. Doctors can take a few minutes, Mohels average at 30 to 60 seconds. Some doctors do a topical pain relief but there is no proof that works. Most strap them down. Mohels want the baby to be comfortable hence they come to you. He gave my son wine and waited until he was comfortable on a pillow on my husbands lap then did it. I couldn't believe how fast it was. My son was more upset at being naked. The Mohel checked on us for a week. The way I see it, the Mohel does this as a religious practice, if he gets it wrong, he answers to God, a doctor doesn't care he has insurance. Most midwifes that I know recommend Mohels for those reasons.
  • Options

image*LrCg*:
    Yes circumcision is the cutting of the foreskin. Stats show that Mohels do it much faster and its less painful then doctors. Doctors can take a few minutes, Mohels average at 30 to 60 seconds. Some doctors do a topical pain relief but there is no proof that works. Most strap them down. Mohels want the baby to be comfortable hence they come to you. He gave my son wine and waited until he was comfortable on a pillow on my husbands lap then did it. I couldn't believe how fast it was. My son was more upset at being naked. The Mohel checked on us for a week. The way I see it, the Mohel does this as a religious practice, if he gets it wrong, he answers to God, a doctor doesn't care he has insurance. Most midwifes that I know recommend Mohels for those reasons.

Thank you for that information. I read about a type of circumcision that involves placing a plastic ring around the foreskin so that it loses circulation. Eventually (after about 2 weeks) it dies and falls off. I didn't know if that was what Mohels do.

I will do more research about them. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    *LrCg**LrCg* member
    imageMommyKristin88:
    imageLrCg:

Thank you for that information. I read about a type of circumcision that involves placing anbsp;plastic ring around the foreskin so that it loses circulation. Eventually after about 2 weeks it dies and fallsnbsp;off. I didn't know if that was what Mohels do.
    I willnbsp;do more research about them.nbsp;
    nbsp;[/quot

No Mohels have a religious procedure so they use the Morgan clamp
  • Options
    Oh ok. Thank you!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imageMommyKristin88:

image*LrCg*:

Thank you for that information. I read about a type of circumcision that involves placing a plastic ring around the foreskin so that it loses circulation. Eventually (after about 2 weeks) it dies and falls off. I didn't know if that was what Mohels do.

I will do more research about them. 

The plastic ring is the most dangerous way to do it from what I understand. 

• Options
    Our pedi did it at the hospital the day after he was born. My husband was allowed to be with him. They cut the foreskin off...no plastic ring. 
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options
    imageMommyKristin88:

image*LrCg*:

Wow, I didn't realize it was such a quick procedure. I expected it to at least last about 5 minutes. Your son got the type of procedure where they cut the foreskin???

I just dont want you to be misinformed.. but its not 30 seconds if you get it done by a pediatrician/ob.  Have you seen any videos?  The procedure is about 5 minutes long, and the plastibell (plastic ring) method still involves cutting, just like the gomco clamp does.  There is no such thing as a "no cutting" circumcision.

The Jewish way is a lot faster, they use a Mogen clamp (not a morgen clamp). There will be no pain relief though.. there really is no perfect option here.  

• Options
    imageSunnyMuffin:
    imageMommyKristin88:

image*LrCg*:

I just dont want you to be misinformed.. but its not 30 seconds if you get it done by a pediatrician/ob.  Have you seen any videos?  The procedure is about 5 minutes long, and the plastibell (plastic ring) method still involves cutting, just like the gomco clamp does.  There is no such thing as a "no cutting" circumcision.

The Jewish way is a lot faster, they use a Mogen clamp (not a morgen clamp). There will be no pain relief though.. there really is no perfect option here.  

Thank you for replying. No, I have not seen any videos. I will research that now, so I have a better idea of what is going to happen. Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Hi Mommy Kristin, can't give you any advice on where to have the procedure done, but check out our website and I'll send you some FREE samples. www.circumcision-care.com

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"