VBAC
Options

VBA Myomectomy?

If this is not the appropriate place for this question, please let me know.

I am a FTM and have been told by my OB that I need to be a planned c-section because of myomectomy surgery I had last year. I had 2 surgeries and 26 fibroids removed (all types). She said because of that, I absolutely cannot even go into labor, they want to take him via c-section at 36 weeks. She said the biggest issue is cuts that were made in the top (thinnest part) of my uterus.

I'm all about whatever gets the baby out safely, but I'm worried about complications from the c-section because of all the scar tissue (I guess) I have and if there's additional risk of uterine rupture for future pregnancies. 

Anyone have any experience with this? Any chance you think someone might let me do a trial of labor?

For mobile users - I am 15w3d. 

Thank you for reading, here's some cookies :-) 

**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

Re: VBA Myomectomy?

• Options
    I would get a second opinion before making any decisions. Is there a reason she suggests a c/s at 36 weeks? Can you have close monitoring past 36 weeks and play it by ear? That's really early for a baby to come out. hth!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

imagenosoup4u:
    I would get a second opinion before making any decisions. Is there a reason she suggests a c/s at 36 weeks? Can you have close monitoring past 36 weeks and play it by ear? That's really early for a baby to come out. hth!

Yup - good point and I do plan to ask if I can be on hospital bed rest for an extra week or two. 

BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with PP - 2nd or 3rd opinion and whatever you can do to buy more time. 36 weeks is pretty early, in my non-medical opinion. Most first time moms go past their due date, so seems like an abundance of caution to schedule a c-section for 36 weeks, especially considering there's a confidence interval around that EDD, so you might actually be agreeing to a c-section at 35 weeks, thinking it's the 36th week. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I don't have any real answers - I'm actually in the same boat as you except I had a robotic myo.

I will say however, that the ob/gyn who I saw in December before I had my second m/c was adamant that I had to have a c-section, but the surgeon who did my myo said that he has had successful vaginal deliveries after a myomectomy. I would definitely get a second opinion if that's something you want to consider. I'm not far enough along in this pregnancy to be asking these questions yet (I'm still praying I make it to the 8-week ultrasound this time!) but I do plan on asking my surgeon whether he thinks I'm a candidate for a vba-myomectomy. Like you, one of my incisions was near the top of my uterus. (because it was robotic, I had 5 small incisions rather than one large one)

I don't know where you're located, but PM me if you want my surgeon's info. He's a leading expert in the field - he literally teaches other doctors how to do these surgeries, and was the only doctor who would take my case without giving me a huge vertical incision.

imageimage
    BFP with #1 (twins!) 11/18/2011 - missed m/c at 8weeks3days; d&c 1/19/2012; myomectomy to remove 18cm+,10cm & 5cm fibroids 4/2012; TTC again 7/2012; BFP #2 (twins) 11/13/2012; missed m/c at 7weeks;
    BFP #3: baby girl born 3/5/2014

Balaustine: an anthology about wanting family
  • Options
    imageellajune2012:

I don't have any real answers - I'm actually in the same boat as you except I had a robotic myo.

I will say however, that the ob/gyn who I saw in December before I had my second m/c was adamant that I had to have a c-section, but the surgeon who did my myo said that he has had successful vaginal deliveries after a myomectomy. I would definitely get a second opinion if that's something you want to consider. I'm not far enough along in this pregnancy to be asking these questions yet (I'm still praying I make it to the 8-week ultrasound this time!) but I do plan on asking my surgeon whether he thinks I'm a candidate for a vba-myomectomy. Like you, one of my incisions was near the top of my uterus. (because it was robotic, I had 5 small incisions rather than one large one)

I don't know where you're located, but PM me if you want my surgeon's info. He's a leading expert in the field - he literally teaches other doctors how to do these surgeries, and was the only doctor who would take my case without giving me a huge vertical incision.

Thank you, that is helpful! I will definitely bring it up again with my doctors and seek another opinion. 

And good luck with your ultrasound!

• Options
    imageBootsOrHearts:
    imageellajune2012:

Thank you, that is helpful! I will definitely bring it up again with my doctors and seek another opinion. 

And good luck with your ultrasound!

Thanks! And no problem... I occasionally lurk on this board because I'm also hoping to at least be allowed to try for a vaginal birth. Was wondering if anyone else was in the same position.

imageimage
    BFP with #1 (twins!) 11/18/2011 - missed m/c at 8weeks3days; d&c 1/19/2012; myomectomy to remove 18cm+,10cm & 5cm fibroids 4/2012; TTC again 7/2012; BFP #2 (twins) 11/13/2012; missed m/c at 7weeks;
    BFP #3: baby girl born 3/5/2014

Balaustine: an anthology about wanting family
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"