May 2013 Moms

Zantac?

For those of you giving LO zantac, was it prescribed or OTC? What kind of symptoms did your LO have? 

Our LO has what we think is colic. Every night around her 9pm feeding she gets really fussy and hardly wants to drink from her bottle. (She is getting BM in a bottle)

We are just desperate now, tried giving her chamomile tea but she wouldnt take that neither. Swaddle her and she fights it but it works once she calms down. Once she gets worked up though it is so hard to calm her down. 

Re: Zantac?

• Ours was prescribed. DD was spitting up a lot. She didn't cry when she spit up but it was a lot of spit up and after every feeding. She would also get really fussy around 5-6pm. Her fists would ball up and she would bring her knees to her chest and you could hear the gas bubbles. She has been much better since she has been on the Zantac. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My middle son took Zantac for reflux. It was prescribed. He was vomiting (not spit-up, more like projectile vomiting) after every feeding and it was clear that it was painful for him. He was prescribed Zantac and I think given a special formula. It went away on its own when he started sitting up and eating solid foods. "Colic" and reflux, IMO, are very different-- you should talk to your ped.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagenortiz03:
    For those of you giving LO zantac, was it prescribed or OTC? What kind of symptoms did your LO have?nbsp;Our LO has what we think is colic. Every night around her 9pm feeding she gets really fussy and hardly wants to drink from her bottle. She is getting BM in a bottleWe are just desperate now, tried giving her chamomile tea but she wouldnt take that neither. Swaddle her and she fights it but it works once she calms down. Once she gets worked up though it is so hard to calm her down.nbsp;

Chamomile tea? I was under the impression that babies this age weren't even supposed to have water.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Maybe try feeding your LO earlier to be able to get to bed by 9pm? Our LO gets really fussy around 10pm and it's because she's tired. If we get her around For bed and nurse her and get her to bed before 10,she's a happy camper. I think if your LO was colicky, she would be fussy most of the day, not just around 9pm.
  • imagenortiz03:
    For those of you giving LO zantac, was it prescribed or OTC? What kind of symptoms did your LO have?nbsp;Our LO has what we think is colic. Every night around her 9pm feeding she gets really fussy and hardly wants to drink from her bottle. She is getting BM in a bottleWe are just desperate now, tried giving her chamomile tea but she wouldnt take that neither. Swaddle her and she fights it but it works once she calms down. Once she gets worked up though it is so hard to calm her down.nbsp;

Colic is typically uncontrollable crying for three hours or more, every day, for at least 3 weeks. If she is soothed by swaddling and won't take a bottle, maybe she is tired and not hungry. If it happens daily, maybe try swaddling before it happens?

I wouldn't give her tea or meds without a doctor's approval or recommendation.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • pnutgpnutg member
    My son was prescribed zantac and has been on it for 2 weeks. He spits up a lot, although it doesn't appear to be painful for him. But he cried for like 6 hours straight for a few days and was arching his back like his stomach was upset so we decided to try the reflux meds. He isslowly becoming a happier baby, eveven though he's still spitting up a lot. I'm not sure if we can attribute this to the zantac or not. But I am going to ask his pedi when she thinks he can get off it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"