VBAC
Options

Chicago vbac

SLP1980SLP1980 member

I'm currently searching for a hospital that will allow me to attempt a VBAC in Chicago.   Swedish Covenant is the most convenient for me - has anyone had success there recently?   I called the midwife group at Northwestern and they don't do VBACs From what I was told.   When I called Swedish Covenant I was told the midwives don't do VBACS either but I could see a regular OB there.  I'm also considering hiring a doula.  Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Re: Chicago vbac

• Options
    Look into Evanston hospital as well- a friend of mine had a VBAC there (not planned, it just happened that way) but she said they were supportive.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park always gets rave reviews. If you want to be in the city, my old OB (Dr. Brian Foley) does VBACs at Northwestern. However Northwestern is very intervention happy.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Unless something has changed, the MWs at Swedish do VBAC. They do tend to be very strict with any sort of deviation from normal, and the OBs run the show.

I had a great experience with the UIC MWs, they have the best VBAC rate in the city, and they are pretty autonomous.

I wouldn't do NW, mainly bc there are better options in the city. West Sub has a good rate of VBAC, too.

Are you a member of Chicago ICAN? You can always get more info on the message board. Hopefully this link will take you to their homepage:

https://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICANofChicago/?yguid=431773075
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

I am with the Midwife group out of Northwestern and yes they highly encourage VBAC's (my RCS is not even scheduled until 42 weeks). 

Here is a link, you will see the list of midwives halfway down the page: https://www.nmpg.com/obgyn/physicians

I am very happy with them and left my old OB at 32 weeks because of their inability to understand how important having a VBAC was to me. If you have questions about the Northwestern Midwife group, please don't hesitate to ask!

I have heard good things about Swedish Covenant and West Suburban out of Oak Park as well. On the other hand, I have heard very negative things about UIC. 

One other thing and this is just how I feel... personally... I found the local chapter of ICAN to be very a negative forum. Please check it out, but I am really in need of support that I can and will do this, as well as it being "ok" if it does not happen. It seems like a lot of the Chicago ICAN members are just still very angry over their sections and not ready to be supportive. (seriously just my two cents)

Good luck and please let me know if you have any questions about the Midwives at NW.

• Options
    This site is helpful when comparing hospitals in IL. https://www.healthcarereportcard.illinois.gov 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagekyoung5829:

I am with the Midwife group out of Northwestern and yes they highly encourage VBAC's (my RCS is not even scheduled until 42 weeks). 

I have heard good things about Swedish Covenant and West Suburban out of Oak Park as well. On the other hand, I have heard very negative things about UIC. 

Oooh, what negative things? All I can say about UIC is that its VBAC rate is twice that of NW, so they must be doing something right. It's certainly not a fancy hospital by any means, though!

These stats are a few years old:

https://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/features_julieshealthclub/2010/02/compare-illinois-hospital-vbac-rates.html

DS1 - Feb 2008

• Options
    imagenosoup4u:
    imagekyoung5829:

Oooh, what negative things? All I can say about UIC is that its VBAC rate is twice that of NW, so they must be doing something right. It's certainly not a fancy hospital by any means, though!

These stats are a few years old:

https://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/features_julieshealthclub/2010/02/compare-illinois-hospital-vbac-rates.html

It was actually from an ICAN mom that was promised an intervention free birth. She ended up having another section and felt suckered into it as if it was always their plan.  She came out of it with tons of complications and pain. I am sure there are always these one off stories, but it was not a good first impression of their midwives.  

I have also heard that the NW stats are not great, but I wonder how much those stats are skewed by the practices, such as my old one, that bring them down. I will ask at my appointment tomorrow what the exact rate is for the midwives. 

• Options
    Good point on the MW vs OB rates, I would be curious to hear what their specific numbers are.

That sucks about your friend, tho they are a huge practice, so I'm sure there are a few jerks in the bunch. I have a friend who was created badly by some residents when she transferred to UIC from a planned home birth.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

• Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    Thanks so much! I called to get an appointment with your midwife group at NW and once I mentioned VBAC the woman on the phone said "oh the midwives won't do it; we have one Doctor that does VBACS here. I'll see if he'll accept you as a patient." I was so confused because I've read reviews of midwives at both NW and Swedish where people have had VBACS and yet I couldn't even get an appointment with either group once I mentioned a VBAC on the phone.
  • Options

That is really odd. Call back and ask to speak to a midwife before trying to make an appointment. It might help to just talk to them and see if you would be a good fit there anyway.

So, at my appt today I asked about the VBAC rate and she said that their c-section rate is 12% and of those - 12% were attempting a VBAC. Sounds pretty good to me! She actually went into the computer and looked it up, so it was not like she just made that number up. 

OP, I hope you find the practice that best supports you and you feel comfortable with. After all, that is all that matters. 

• Options
    Omgwh.com, this practice delivers out of hinsdale. Extremely vbac friendly and they trust your body and what it can do!
  • Options

imagemichandfranks:
    Omgwh.com, this practice delivers out of hinsdale. Extremely vbac friendly and they trust your body and what it can do!

I second this!!! AMAZING PRACTICE!!!! 

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemichandfranks:

I second this!!! AMAZING PRACTICE!!!! 

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"