June 2012 Moms
Options

Fever/sick question

DS is not feeling well. He's had a fever since yesterday and got pretty high at one point. He hasn't been eating and I'm worried about his intake. Luckily, he will still take in some water. If his fever doesn't get any better I plan to take him in tomorrow to the pedi. He had no other symptoms except maybe teething but I don't think teething can cause such a high fever. What do you guys do when your LO's won't eat due to sickness? Any tricks or let them be and make sure they stay hydrated? DS gets has been sick plenty of time with the usual congestion and runny nose and fever. He still has wet diapers but of course not as much as usual.

Re: Fever/sick question

• Options
    How high did his temp get?
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I offer food that I know he really likes, like fruit or Cheerios. I also give him some formula when he won't eat much so I know he's still getting some nutrition.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have you looked into giving him Pedialyte or something like that to keep his fluids up? I don't know how old they have to be before they can drink that, but it might be worth a look. Otherwise I would probably revert back to giving him a bottle just while he's sick. I know that's a backward step, but keeping him hydrated would be worth the possibility of having a bad habit to break IMO. Poor little one. I hope he feels better soon!

• Options
    imageMeery82:
    How high did his temp get?

At one point last night it got to upper 103. Today has been ranging between 100101. Besides being irritable and slightly cranky, he still plays and laughs a lot. I'm just more concerned about trying to get food in him. He's just not interested in anything and spits it all out!
  • Options
    imageunaveragejane:
    Have you looked into giving him Pedialyte or something like that to keep his fluids up? I don't know how old they have to be before they can drink that, but it might be worth a look. Otherwise I would probably revert back to giving him a bottle just while he's sick. I know that's a backward step, but keeping him hydrated would be worth the possibility of having a bad habit to break IMO. Poor little one. I hope he feels better soon!

Thanks! I'm hoping we're turning a corner. I wish he would take a bottle but he screams when we tried to feed him a bottle. He's been slowly weaning himself from the bottle but we're still struggling with milk in a sippy too.
  • Options

Sounds like it could be hand, foot, and mouth (aka coxsackie virus).  Typical symptoms are fever spike, food refusal (b/c of sore mouth), and then the blisters.  The blisters don't usually show up until a day or so after the fever spike - they can be on the feet, hands, throat, around the outside of the lips, and diaper area.  It is quite contagious but other than pain meds there is nothing to do but wait it out.  

For food I would try soft, cold things like yogurt, applesauce, pouches, pasta, even smoothies or milkshakes.  You can also try giving a dose of pain meds about 30 min before you feed him to see if that helps.   

image   image

• Options
    imageEMO-mamma:

Sounds like it could be hand, foot, and mouth (aka coxsackie virus).  Typical symptoms are fever spike, food refusal (b/c of sore mouth), and then the blisters.  The blisters don't usually show up until a day or so after the fever spike - they can be on the feet, hands, throat, around the outside of the lips, and diaper area.  It is quite contagious but other than pain meds there is nothing to do but wait it out.  

For food I would try soft, cold things like yogurt, applesauce, pouches, pasta, even smoothies or milkshakes.  You can also try giving a dose of pain meds about 30 min before you feed him to see if that helps.   

yeah, my kid has this. It sucks. Ibuprofen seems to help with his sore throat. A few times, I've even put some baby teething gel on a Qtip and swabbed his throat with it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"