2nd Trimester

after birth

I am 27wk 3d, with my first baby, and with only 12 more weeks to go give er take. With the reading i've done here and in the book they gave me at the doctor I understand that after birth comes pain & discomfort as well as bleeding, possible stitches, painful urination, etc. 

I know they have creams and highly recommend baths after urination and bowel movements.

My question is what pads mom's have used for the bleeding. I've used tampons since I've been able too and was never a fan of the pads and the fear of smelling bad. And after birth even though I am in the comfort of my own home I still do not want to feel like I have this odor or icky feeling. Or fear of leaking I know it can happen but if there are pads that truly work it'd be awesome because after the first week my hubby will be back at work so it will be my little man and I for the majority part of the day so soaking every time I use the bathroom probably will not be an option especially because I urinate a lot with kidney and bladder issues non-related to pregnancy.

Also is doughnut worth purchasing or any other things you felt were a must have after giving birth.

Thank you in advance.  

heather.ann

Re: after birth

• The hospital gave me huge pads to use for the first few days.  After that, a liner was enough.  You don't have to take a full fledged bath every time you use the bathroom.  There's something called a sitz bath that some use that's like a little pool of water you sit in.  The hospital I was at gave me a squirt bottle that I used for about 2 weeks.

In memory of Corbin Scott 10/28/11-12/3/11. Heaven got another angel the night you left this world behind Heaven got a little better the day it took you away from me Missing you tonight, see you again sometime For now I'll close my eyes and dream of heaven tonight I'll love you forever I'll like you for always Now and Forever My baby you'll be

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

corbinsmommy.blogspot.com

imageimage

• The hospital will give you giant pads that you will NEED for the first few days and then the bleeding turns into light/medium flow for a couple weeks. I would say to buy over night pads and regular pads. Overnight pads, just in case your bleeding is really heavy for a while. I also bled more when I breastfed in the beginning b/c of uterine contractions. 

Do not take a bath after you pee!! You are not supposed to get in water for at least 4 weeks, but most doctors say 6 weeks. Your all still open and it can cause an infection. The hospital will give you a peri bottle to rinse yourself off with after you pee.

These are things you should talk to your doctor about at your next appt.  

imageimage

BFP #1 July 4, 2011 Baby girl born Feb 22, 2012!!
    BFP #2 December 17, 2012 MMC January 24, 2013
    BFP #3 April 7, 2013 Baby girl born December 11, 2013!!
    Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
    You can follow her at. Www.ameliafaithsheart.blogspot.com
  • Loading the player...
  • After birth is the placenta. Then yes you'll bleed, It will be ok, I never noticed a smell after ds was born, just make sure you change your pad. Most hospitals will give you a squirt bottle to help with cleaning your lady bits.

You'll be fine  

Bison (FCS) beats Big 12 Champs Kansas St (24-21)!!!
    imageimage

• First of all, the hospital will give you lots of stuff.  Take all of it home with you.  The bleeding varies for everyone.  I had to use pretty thick pads for weeks after my first.  The hospital should give you stuff you can spray on the stitches to help ease the pain.  The nurses will tell you everything you need to know.  I wouldn't go out and buy anything until after the baby.

To be hoenst I odn't remember the pain being soooooooooooooo horrible.  I mean it hurt, but I don't think a donut was necessary.  I tore pretty badly too.  I think I had a 2nd degree tear, but everyone is different. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Always Overnight extra thin, long with wings. The pads the hospital gives you are really big, but quite absorbent. However I found that the ultra thins made it easier for me to use the ice packs that go in your undies.

I had stitches and my vulva was sore/swollen. So my vote is the ultra thins.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Personally, I hated the big bulky pads the hospital had so with my second baby I brought my own. Always ultra thin supers. They worked just fine. I didn't have or want a donut. I think it wasn't really necessary but it all depends on your comfort level.
    imageimageimageimage

• imageEmmaBoBemma:

Do not take a bath after you pee!! You are not supposed to get in water for at least 4 weeks, but most doctors say 6 weeks. Your all still open and it can cause an infection. The hospital will give you a peri bottle to rinse yourself off with after you pee. 

My Dr had me take a bath about 2 hours after having ds, Why would someone not be able to take a bath/ get in water for 4 weeks? The only thing I was told not to do was have sex for 4-6 weeks after having ds.  

Bison (FCS) beats Big 12 Champs Kansas St (24-21)!!!
    imageimage

• imageLoisLayn23:
    imagelbethke99:
    imageEmmaBoBemma:

My Dr had me take a bath about 2 hours after having ds, Why would someone not be able to take a bath/ get in water for 4 weeks? The only thing I was told not to do was have sex for 4-6 weeks after having ds.  

Because your cervix is still open and bacteria can get up in there.

This is what I was told, too. My doctor told me not to take a bath until after my 6 week check-up 

• imagePrimRoseMama:
    Always Overnight extra thin, long with wings. The pads the hospital gives you are really big, but quite absorbent. However I found that the ultra thins made it easier for me to use the ice packs that go in your undies. I had stitches and my vulva was sore/swollen. So my vote is the ultra thins.

I second these pads.

I don't remember the pain being that bad after I was home. Just had to be mindful of sitting down and standing up, otherwise it wasn't very noticeable for me.  

• I would have been miserable if my Dr. told me I couldn't take my baths! I think the thing is to not use any kind of soap and just use plane water. Obviously go with what your Dr. says though. I had a squirt bottle for my lady bits as well. I actually used depends for a little while, I know it seems strange but they were comfy and I didn't have to worry about leaking. Plus the icepack things fit great in them. Talk with your Dr. and you will end up with a game plan.
  • imagemplesset23:

First of all, the hospital will give you lots of stuff.  Take all of it home with you.  The bleeding varies for everyone.  I had to use pretty thick pads for weeks after my first.  The hospital should give you stuff you can spray on the stitches to help ease the pain.  The nurses will tell you everything you need to know.  I wouldn't go out and buy anything until after the baby.

To be hoenst I odn't remember the pain being soooooooooooooo horrible.  I mean it hurt, but I don't think a donut was necessary.  I tore pretty badly too.  I think I had a 2nd degree tear, but everyone is different. 

THIS.

I was lucky & only had a couple 1st degree tears (one the delivery Dr didn't even see, but my OB saw when I asked about the discomfort when sitting down). Neither required any stitches for me. You may or may not tear or require a episiotomy. For me there was discomfort afterwards, but I wasn't in agony. That was only my experience though. Other people DO have experiences on the opposite side of the spectrum. I wouldn't go out buying any special pillows you may not even need.

My 2 December boys

• I liked Always Infinity overnights. My doctor said use the peri bottle for two weeks then I could do sitz baths, but no real baths for 6 weeks.   

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • You can do baths just don't use ANY products. Sit in the bath then either move to shower or stand up depending on your bathroom to shampoo, shave, body wash
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I liked the hospital provided ones, then used Stay Free brand, extra long or something with wings. I had a c/s, so not sure if those would work with tears and stitches and such.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Agree to most of what was said here.  The hospital I delivered DD at sent me home with lidocane gel and witch hazel cooling pads that were like heaven on my lady bits.  I used the huge hospital pads with the fugly, disposable granny panties they gave me.  Trust me, you won't care.  However, I will say, once those pads were gone I used the regular, thinner, pads with wings.  The wings help prevent leaks.  Your hospital will/should send you home with essentials.  I wouldn't get a doughnut but I also didn't have tears/stitches. 
    ~Married my best friend 06/27/2010~ ~Miscarriage July 2010~ ~Hannah Leigh born 07/26/2011 (5 weeks early) @ 8:38am 4lbs 15oz~
    imageimage
  • shiwayshiway member
    This is completely not true. You can get in water ad much as you want. I took several sitz baths a day and soaking in the tub just felt good. I have never heard of such a thing. I'm a Doula and a 2nd time mom
  • shiwayshiway member
    Your vagina is not a vacuum. This is not true at all!
  • imageshiway:
    This is completely not true. You can get in water ad much as you want. I took several sitz baths a day and soaking in the tub just felt good. I have never heard of such a thing. I'm a Doula and a 2nd time mom

You are not supposed to take full baths, even with "plain water" because of the possibility of infection. Your cervix is still open, and if you have any stitches or tears in that area you want to avoid sitting in water for extended periods of time because it increases the chance of infection. Just how taking baths increases the risk of UTI and bladder infections even outside of pregnancy. I'm a nurse, so I think I know what I'm talking about. The PPs are correct when they say you should not take baths. The doctors that have given them this information are also correct. No offense, but you do not know more than a doctor.

ETA: OP, the hospital will give you everything that you need. Also, the Always with wings work well. You might want to get them on the thinner side, but longer, as PPs have mentioned if you plan on using the cooling/ice packs you will receive.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

imageimageimage
  • As previous posts have mentioned they'll give you what you need as far as pads, the ones my hospital gives are like diapers. Then you use the spray bottle they give you to keep yourself clean.  A much bigger issue for me was hemorrhoids, buy Tucks pads...they're just like what they sound --a round pad that you put on the hemorrhoids, they provide great relief.  I was in pretty rough shape after three plus hours of pushing so they even had me sit on ice for most of the first day after birth. 
  • Target had a bunch of large boxes of the thin Always overnight pads on clearance for $2 so I just bought a couple boxes of those. With ds1, I refused to use the pads with funky net underwear and I just wore depends because they were more comfortable and I was a heavy bleeder. DS2, I just used the thin overnight pads and they worked really well. 

The hospital gave me a peri bottle both times to clean with after I used the bathroom- I had a 4th degree tear with DS1 so I needed to do a couple sitz baths each day and they helped, as well as dermaplast spray and tucks pads. A nurse actually brought in a baby diaper packed with ice to help the swelling on my lady bits with DS2 and it helped quite a bit.

View Full Size Image View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (zHjr)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"