Food Allergy
Options

dairy issue or something else - symptoms change over time?

I was BFing and DS2 had specks of blood in his poo at 2 months of age.  I gave up ALL soy (soybean oil, etc.) and dairy (even traces) and the blood went away.  I remained soy free for 7 months and dairy free for 8.5.  When I re-introduced both I was careful.  I gave small amounts to my baby first, had his poo checked for microscopic blood, and then consumed some myself and had his poo checked again (thought it was better to contaminate 1 of us first rather than both).  We decided he was OK.  I began consuming dairy again on June 17.  As of about July 1, he started pooping more (instead of 2-3 per day, doing 5 per day).  They are solid and look the same as before the diet change, just smaller and more frequent.  A couple days later he developed a diaper rash and I thought it was from the more frequent pooping.  Now, on July 4, he has a slightly red cheek (eczema looking).  He had the rash and red cheeks before I was on the diet and while I was clearing our systems.  I hope this isn't an issue with dairy.  He is 10.5 months old and I was so looking forward to giving him cow's milk soon.  What do you think it is?  I've been eating ice cream cake every day since June 28 (celebrating....)  Maybe it's just too much... but then so would him drinking straight cow's milk.  I'm not going back on the diet at this point (planned to stop BFing at 1 year).  The cake is almost gone, so I was thinking of staying on a fairly normal diet but just don't drink straight milk and don't eat milky desserts.  See what happens.  Any reassurance?  I want this to be nothing, but it doesn't seem like nothing.  :/

FWIW, DS1 had the same protein allergies but went on Neocate.  At 9.5 months we had to switch to Enfamil (he refused Neocate) and was deemed cured (no blood).  He has pretty bad skin but had it throughout his infancy.  He gets a spot of eczema on his face occasionally and I think he also has keratosis pilaris, which is unrelated. He does not really get the red cheeks anymore.  That improved sometime in his 2nd year, except perhaps in the winter.

Re: dairy issue or something else - symptoms change over time?

• Options
    That's how my son's dairy intolerance symptoms began (when he was a newborn), frequent poops, diaper rash and red rash on cheeks. Maybe back off the dairy for a bit and see if it makes a difference. Ice cream is one of the hardest dairies to tolerate, about as bad as drinking milk straight.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"