Multiples
Options

Question For Moms With Multiples...

Hi ladies.

I'm wondering what you ladies did for sleeping arrangements for twins?  Did you put them together in the same crib?  Get 2 cribs?  I'd think they'd sleep well together, be calmer, since they spent 7-9 months together in the womb, but I also know they may wake each other up more often, and I'm worried about them migrating to the edges or somehow getting stuck b/c they're branching out from each other.  (I've only had singles before, but even they never stayed where I put them, & I was constantly checking on them & replacing them in the middle of the crib).

Also, are there any books on multiples that you just LOVE & highly recommend?  I don't need a refresher course on babies, I need something specifically aimed at the challenges & issues of having twins.

Any help, ladies?  TIA.

Re: Question For Moms With Multiples...

• Options

You'll get mixed answers on bed-sharing. There is evidence that it can indeed be more calming for the babies, especially as newborns, and that it can help them regulate their breathing and body temperature. Others (and this is more common now) will warn you that it increases SIDS risk; danger of re-breathing, rolling into each other to interfere with each other's breathing, etc. However, the studies on that are based on an older sibling and an infant sharing a bed so there's no definitive research that says bed-sharing for multiples is either safe or unsafe. (It's been about 2 years since I last looked that up so there may be newer research, but not that I've heard of.) You have to use your best judgment on that.

When my boys were newborn the advice I received was fairly mixed, our hospital put our boys together in the same isolette, and we decided to let our boys share a crib for the first 6 months; as soon as they were ready to wean from swaddling (and consequently posed a bigger risk to each other's breathing) we moved them to separate cribs. We were also careful to have nothing in the crib but a fitted sheet and the babies, no bumper or breathable bumper (at one point), a fan going, encouraged paci use when they first went to bed, etc., that also help reduce SIDS risk.

Either way it is pretty rare for twins to make it much past the first 6-9 months at the most in the same crib before they start interfering with each other's sleep, so you'll need a second one eventually.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options

Oh and in terms of books:

* Mothering Multiples by Karen Gromada

* Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Weissbluth (yes, it's on babies in general but I think developing healthy sleep habits becomes even more crucial when you have multiples). He also has a Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins book that's a much shorter read but helpful as well.

* Juggling Twins is a quick read with some good tips.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When we first got home from the hospital, they were about 5 lbs each. They shared the pnp in our room for the first 4 to 5 weeks or so. After that they have and currently are sharing the same crib. We plan on separating them once they start rolling. Right now at 3 months, the most anyone moves is scooting the top half toward the other twin. Only one does this so far, so we end up with perpendicular babies in the crib. But they are never so close as to interfere with each other. They are close enough the can touch hands when their arms are outstretched, but that's it. They don't tend to wake the other either unless the crying has escalated or they we lightly sleeping to begin with.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options
    imagemacchiatto:

You'll get mixed answers on bed-sharing. There is evidence that it can indeed be more calming for the babies, especially as newborns, and that it can help them regulate their breathing and body temperature. Others (and this is more common now) will warn you that it increases SIDS risk; danger of re-breathing, rolling into each other to interfere with each other's breathing, etc. However, the studies on that are based on an older sibling and an infant sharing a bed so there's no definitive research that says bed-sharing for multiples is either safe or unsafe. (It's been about 2 years since I last looked that up so there may be newer research, but not that I've heard of.) You have to use your best judgment on that.

When my boys were newborn the advice I received was fairly mixed, our hospital put our boys together in the same isolette, and we decided to let our boys share a crib for the first 6 months; as soon as they were ready to wean from swaddling (and consequently posed a bigger risk to each other's breathing) we moved them to separate cribs. We were also careful to have nothing in the crib but a fitted sheet and the babies, no bumper or breathable bumper (at one point), a fan going, encouraged paci use when they first went to bed, etc., that also help reduce SIDS risk.

Either way it is pretty rare for twins to make it much past the first 6-9 months at the most in the same crib before they start interfering with each other's sleep, so you'll need a second one eventually.

Thank you!  & for the book suggestions.  I asked on my birth board, & the immediate consensus there was separate cribs.  I guess for me personally, it'll depend on how early they are & their needs, & go from there, although whether it's a 3 months, 6, or whatever, getting two cribs in there is going to be a total nightmare.  As I said on the other post, someone needs to create bunk-bed cribs or something!  Space is at a premium for some people, (esp. for those who weren't expecting twins...)
  • Options
    imagekgs0505:
    When we first got home from the hospital, they were about 5 lbs each. They shared the pnp in our room for the first 4 to 5 weeks or so. After that they have and currently are sharing the same crib. We plan on separating them once they start rolling. Right now at 3 months, the most anyone moves is scooting the top half toward the other twin. Only one does this so far, so we end up with perpendicular babies in the crib. But they are never so close as to interfere with each other. They are close enough the can touch hands when their arms are outstretched, but that's it. They don't tend to wake the other either unless the crying has escalated or they we lightly sleeping to begin with.

Thanks, that helps.  You're one of maybe two that said they let their babies sleep together, even for a little bit.
  • Options
    The official stance of the APA is no co-sleeping or crib-sharing at all.  You and your partner need to figure out what you are comfortable with.  When I nannied for twins, they shared a crib until they were mobile.  They are now thriving 12 yr olds.  
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I believe I'm in the minority, but my almost 9 month olds still sleep together. They have since coming home from the NICU.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    My boys shared a bassinet until they were about three and a half months. Now they share a crib. They almost never wake each other up now that they have the extra space in their crib, tho James will sometimes scoot over and start grabbing Simon's face if they're awake and Simon is crying. We will probably move them to separate cribs once they start pulling up and climbing, just to avoid them using each other as step stools. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    My boys shared a crib until they were rolling... around 6 months.  At that point they were waking each other up.  

• Options
    Our hospital system was very against co sleeping twins, so we had two cribs from the start. Although, our pedi was all for sharing. We put them in the pack n play together for naps, but they were awful about waking each other from day 1. For the first six weeks, DH and I ended up using Rock n Plays. We put one on each side of the bed. We then transitioned into Pack n Plays before moving into cribs at 4.5 mos.

Reflux issues played into our boys' issues, as they would ball up and spit up in their sleep, which would have created safety issues in the event of co sleeping. We also put the cribs at an incline and they'd squirm to the bottom every night. You can try putting them together for a bit and see how it goes. But, I'd be prepared for the chance they won't sleep well together. There is absolutely no way we'd have had such great sleepers if they shared.
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• Options
    If you have limited space, you could look into mini cribs. They'll be outgrown sooner but I've known people with multiples who bought those instead to save space and your kids may last in them till at least age 2 unless they're particularly tall.
  • Options
    imageRuthie04:
    Our hospital system was very against co sleeping twins, so we had two cribs from the start. Although, our pedi was all for sharing. We put them in the pack n play together for naps, but they were awful about waking each other from day 1. For the first six weeks, DH and I ended up using Rock n Plays. We put one on each side of the bed. We then transitioned into Pack n Plays before moving into cribs at 4.5 mos. Reflux issues played into our boys' issues, as they would ball up and spit up in their sleep, which would have created safety issues in the event of co sleeping. We also put the cribs at an incline and they'd squirm to the bottom every night. You can try putting them together for a bit and see how it goes. But, I'd be prepared for the chance they won't sleep well together. There is absolutely no way we'd have had such great sleepers if they shared.

Thanks for the input, I was wondering if there were some twins that just won't sleep well together.  As for the reflux, my daughter had that really badly, and we had to incline her bed & put her in a Danny sling & yeah, that's definitely a one-baby-per-crib kind of thing.
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies.  There's a lot more of you who have done or are doing infant co-sleeping than I expected, so that gives me some hope.  I guess it'll depend on the kids & their attitudes toward sleeping together.  As for the APA, I'm confused on how most hospitals put the twins in the same bed/isolette, but then say co-sleeping is a no-no.

Thanks for the advice, ladies!!!
  • Options
    imageKedra231:
    Thanks, ladies. nbsp;There's a lot more of you who have done or are doing infant cosleeping than I expected, so that gives me some hope. nbsp;I guess it'll depend on the kids amp; their attitudes toward sleeping together. nbsp;As for the APA, I'm confused on how most hospitals put the twins in the same bed/isolette, but then say cosleeping is a nono.Thanks for the advice, ladies!!!

Someone asked this in our multiples class. The instructor said it was because they were being watched in the hospital, but cannot be watched all night by parents.

Hope you find a solution that works for your family!'
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• Options
    We bought two cribs but for now they sleep together in the PNP I our room. The pedi at the hospotal actually suggested keeping them together when possible for now. They have been doing a great job sleeping together. When it is time for them to go into their own room we will probably keep them together until they are no longer swaddled and/or move around in their sleep.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Options
    We had crib squirmers from the get-go -- so they would have spent more time waking each other up than anything had we attempted getting them to sleep in the same crib. ;) 
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My two slept together in a cosleeper next to our bed for the first 8 weeks and then we moved them into their own room in separate cribs.  They still sometimes sleep together in a PNP if they are napping on the first floor although they are getting too big to share a space and one of my guys is starting to scootch aroung in his sleep
  • Options
    Our boys slept in their own RNP's at the end of our bed until they were 4 months and then we moved them. They both went to a crib in seperate rooms without any issues. They started sleeping through the night at 2 months so it was an easy transition for us...they never did sleep together in the same crib/PNP. We had asked the Dr. about how we should have them sleep and he said it's really up to us but to remember that whatever habits they form now we'll have to break. So, if they were used to sleeping together it might be a challange to seperate them down the road when they're too big to both sleep in 1 crib. That's the reason we never put them together and it has worked out great...and this way we didn't have to worry about 1 waking the other either!

• Options
    Mine slept in their own cribs from the first night home on. I was ready to put them in the same crib if they seemed to want it, but they were fine on their own from the get-go. Made it convenient, not having to worry about transitioning them to cribs, to their own cribs, etc. later.
  • Options

imagemarchesa28:
    Mine slept in their own cribs from the first night home on. I was ready to put them in the same crib if they seemed to want it, but they were fine on their own from the get-go. Made it convenient, not having to worry about transitioning them to cribs, to their own cribs, etc. later.

This, exactly.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We tried to let them share a crib and they hated it. Even though they were swaddled they fidgeted enough that they would bump into each other and every noise would wake the other one up. The amusing thing is that next to each other they woke each other up but when one wakes up in the middle of the night crying she doesn't wake up her sister. They also insist on being in the same room - they won't go down for a nap or to sleep unless their sister does too. I'm firmly in the "whatever works" camp for the vast majority of parenting decisions.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    separate RNPs, then separate cribs, from the start. they share a room. and we live in a tiny house. but yes we have 2 cribs in their room
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"