Baby Showers

A little unsure here....

So this is Hubby and I's 3rd little bean, and we are beyond ECSTATIC! Well, that is when we're not so nervous we feel like puking, or I'm not so hormonal I plan the perfect murder, but you get the idea....

I have both a boy and a girl (ages 5 and 4) and I have gotten rid of completely EVERYTHING little girl I had: Crib, Bassey, Bottles, Clothes, Toys, Blankies, EVERYTHING. And because of school fees (Hubs and I are back in school), the fact that we're in the middle of moving from one state to another, and on a major job hunt hasn't left us with a whole lot of extra dough-ray-me, if ya catch my drift...

The thing is, I could REALLY REALLY REALLY use a baby shower! Literally all we've been able to afford is a bassy and a PnP :O

Talk about major freak out when your 32 weeks along! I don't want to be that girl who seems all gift grabby and demand someone throw me a shower, or beg my mom too lol

Also there's the hitch of living between two states...

Any suggestions? 

BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: A little unsure here....

• I suggest finding a way to provide for the child that you two decided to have. Honestly, you have had a lot of time to seek out sales, second hand stuff, hand me downs, etc. Please do not ask people to provide for the baby that you chose to have.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagediscobelle:

imagechattychiqa:
    I can't believe I'm beating the rest of you to calling MUD.

Her post on the baby names board is muddy, too. 

Ah, there you go. ;)
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • imageEastCoastBride:
    imagediscobelle:

imagechattychiqa:
    I can't believe I'm beating the rest of you to calling MUD.

Her post on the baby names board is muddy, too. 

Ah, there you go. ;)

If it IS MUD, it's pretty elaborate.  She put up 30 pictures.  So she's either ripped off someone, or this is, tragically, real lyfe.

OP, sweetie, you don't need to be having another kid if you can't afford it.  It's no one else's responsibility to pay for the result of sex with your husband.  It's not a secret how babies are made.  And if you're 32 weeks along and haven't been able to afford anything else for this kid, then you need to re-examine your priorities.  Someone needs a second job or something.  And it sounds like you need to be making some trips to Goodwill or something.  Not to mention, a baby shower is a gift that someone gives you...if no one has offered, what was your plan?  Throw it yourself?  So you're comfortable calling people up and saying "hey, I need you to buy me things for this baby...come over at this time and give me stuff."  Because that's what throwing  your own shower is.

You've got bigger problems than baby showers.  Wow...just wow.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Upon further investigation, there is a FB and pinterest page which match up with this.  Ladies, I'm afraid this IS real lyfe.  *sigh*
  • imageLyonsChick:

So this is Hubby and I's 3rd little bean, and we are beyond ECSTATIC! Well, that is when we're not so nervous we feel like puking, or I'm not so hormonal I plan the perfect murder, but you get the idea....

I have both a boy and a girl (ages 5 and 4) and I have gotten rid of completely EVERYTHING little girl I had: Crib, Bassey, Bottles, Clothes, Toys, Blankies, EVERYTHING. And because of school fees (Hubs and I are back in school), the fact that we're in the middle of moving from one state to another, and on a major job hunt hasn't left us with a whole lot of extra dough-ray-me, if ya catch my drift...

The thing is, I could REALLY REALLY REALLY use a baby shower! Literally all we've been able to afford is a bassy and a PnP :O

Talk about major freak out when your 32 weeks along! I don't want to be that girl who seems all gift grabby and demand someone throw me a shower, or beg my mom too lol

Also there's the hitch of living between two states...

Any suggestions? 

Then don't.   Be polite and hit up garage sales and slowly build up your supply of baby items. Besides, infants don't need much anyways. Keep an eye out on freecycle, craigslist and even facebook in case your FB friends are clearing out their supply of baby items. But no, you don't get a baby shower. How would you feel if you weer having a hard time and one of your relatives or friends was like "Whoops, gave away all my baby stuff, time for you to go buy me some more."

• For my community there is a buy/sell/trade facebook page as well as a ton of garage sales during the summer. All kinds of great baby related items especially clothing up for cheap grabs. I hate to agree with PP, but it is your responsibility to provide for your children...no one is going to bring you diapers, wipes, formula (if you FF) on a regular basis...you will have to purchase it all yourself. GL!

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Should have really thought this affording the child thing out before you had one. It's not anybody else's fault you didn't.
  • M0ONM0ON member

imageKateMW:
    Should have really thought this affording the child thing out before you had one. It's not anybody else's fault you didn't.

...or at least thought about this a little sooner than 32 weeks. Wow

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Has to be MUD... you can see how the kids look photo shopped into this photo.

And the boy... always wears the same shirt...

https://www.thebump.com/profiles/LyonsChick/media/photo/details/1968261

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • If its mud it's elaborate. The boy isn't always wearing the same thing and I found both her and the hubby's FB page.
  • You compounded the bad timing of this pregnancy with your bad money situation with waiting for people to buy you stuff or offer a shower. You have two options:

1. Get on Craigslist, local Facebook Mom Swap groups, Goodwill, etc and buy your child the supplies it will need. Newborns don't need the bells and whistles right away so you are safe to get some of those items at a later time when you have more money.

2. Demand a shower from someone rather last minute and look gift grabby/tacky/rude to a hostess and guests.

Completely unrelated however it did catch my attention:

Bassinet not Bassy

Blankets not Blankies

Money not Dough-Ray-Me

• imagejesnic89:
    If you can't afford supplies for another kid, you probably shouldn't be having another baby.

For reals.  Buy second hand.  And it's not like you would throw your baby shower right? From your post, it doesn't sound like anyone has offered to throw you one.

• imageMzCurnett8886:
    You compoundednbsp;the bad timing of this pregnancy withnbsp;yournbsp;bad money situationnbsp;with waiting for people to buy you stuff or offer a shower. You have two options: 1. Get on Craigslist, local Facebook Mom Swap groups, Goodwill, etc and buy your child the supplies it will need. Newborns don't need the bells and whistles right away so you are safe to get some of those items at a later time when you have more money. 2. Demand a shower from someone rather last minute and look gift grabby/tacky/rude to a hostess and guests. Completely unrelated however it did catch my attention: Bassinet not BassyBlankets not BlankiesMoney not DoughRayMe

Don't forget..."hubby and I's"
  • I cannot believe the time some people must have on their hands...looking up Pinterest pages and spouses face books?  LOL. Don't you have children to watch?  Just answer the question, or get a life.  Weirdos!

OP, look at garage sales, or community baby/children's clothing swaps.  There really isn't a lot you need for an infant- and save your money for a good car seat.  I would buy most of everything else used or on sale. 

• imageLeahV78:
    I cannot believe the time some people must have on their hands...looking up Pinterest pages and spouses face books? nbsp;LOL. Don't you have children to watch? nbsp;Just answer the question, or get a life. nbsp;Weirdos!nbsp;OP, look at garage sales, or community baby/children's clothing swaps. nbsp;There really isn't a lot you need for an infant and save your money for a good car seat. nbsp;I would buy most of everything else used or on sale.nbsp;

Yup I did have a little time in my hands at work. Most people were off today so we were rather slow. Regardless, how much time do you think it takes to do a google search? If it's more than 4 seconds, you're doing it wrong. And yeah, before I gave a thoughtful answer, I looked to see whether it was MUD or not.
  • Pretty much what all the PPs said. There are lots of ways out there to save money. If you are going to FF, make sure you sign up on formula websites to receive check (coupons). They are usually at least $5 and the savings really add up. Baby stuff usually is only used for a short period of time, so you can find plenty of nearly new things at consignment shops. Create a registry for things you plan to buy new ONLY for the completion coupon. When you start one at Target, they usually give you a bag full of coupons as well. Also, ask friends if they have baby items they would be willing to sell. That way you know and trust the previous owners. Have a garage sale to raise money. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Also would like to add that if you plan to throw your own shower expect the price of food and drinks and invitations and all that fun stuff to be roughly the same price as all the basics you will need for a newborn.... Why didn't you start picking up odds and ends when you found out you were pregnant? Or even started in the second trimester....
  • No.

Tacky is as tacky does.
  • imagetorimales:

Has to be MUD... you can see how the kids look photo shopped into this photo.

And the boy... always wears the same shirt...

https://www.thebump.com/profiles/LyonsChick/media/photo/details/1968261

You do realize people take picutres of their kids on the same day right? There were 3 maybe 4 photos where the boy AND girl were wearing the same outfit. Again, when we visit  the zoo for example, I wouldnt change my kids clothes for each pic I take. It looks to be the same situation for the OP. Your detective skills arent that great.

OP, you chose to have another baby. You are now 32 weeks and are going to seriously tell us that you did NOTHING for this baby? Buy second hand, ask friends to borrow some of their old baby items, and in the future plan things out a little better.

• Instead of focusing on a shower, you should focus on school. In what world do you think "I's" is ever correct?
    image">

image"">
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Seriously? You're weeks away from delivering, haven't been offered a shower (and it's obvious why), and are just NOW freaking out about being able to secure what you'll need? Yikes. DH and I began planning and slowly acquiring stuff by week 20- a week later our first shower was offered.

You should realize this haven't had two babies previously- newborns do NOT need a lot of stuff. Place to sleep, a few things to wear, and a way to eat. Done. Everything else is just extra.

I don't want to be that girl who seems all gift grabby and demand someone throw me a shower.

Too bad, 'cause that's what you sound like.

• Hmmm... some of you are really kind of conclusion jumpy, eh? Lol 

First of all I was on birth control, but due to the meds for cluster headaches we had a bit of an "oops!" But, be that as it may, we can't wait to have a new little addition to our family, and things have worked out a little better in the past week- THANK GOD! ha!

Secondly, we can afford it. But our funds have been temporarily out of wack due to our move, but the hubs will be transferred and into his new job around the time baby #3 has arrived.

Thirdly- I have no idea what MUD is but from what I've concluded it's a fake? Which I'm not. Just someone who had a couple questions to ask of what she thought was a nice, understanding community. I guess there are hum-glums in every circle tho, eh?

But honestly, some pretty cool things have happened in the past week- such as instead of having to move into a small apartment, we've been offered a remodeled (small) 3 bedroom! YAY! I can't recall if it's stated here, but we'll be attending RBTC (Rhema Bible Training College) this fall, and even though things looked pretty sketchy for a minute, God has ultimately provided. 

But besides the bit of rudeness I may have encountered here, I'm guessing for the most part ya'll were trying to be helpful- so Thanks :)

But some people who we helped out with their children have returned the blessing and sowed their little girl clothes (etc) to us!

Thanks anyways guys Lol 

BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh and also- :)

I have had  couple of people offer to throw a baby shower- it's just living between 2 states, plus having to spend so much time in MO has kind of made hat impossible. When I asked this question I was wondering about an after the babies born shower. Which my mother-in-law and best friend both have since offered to have- seeing as right now is kind of a difficult time.

But I'm glad I asked anyway, as a couple of sincerely nice people have stepped forward and let me know how their similar experiences worked out.  

Also LOL just realized I replied to this wrong, *sigh* Long day haha 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"