Pre-School and Daycare

grossed out with child using public potties.

My daughter is about to start preschool and she knows how to go potty herself, but when we are at a public potty, I always help her line the seat with toilet paper so she won't sit on the actual potty.  Well at preschool and even Elem school they are not allowed to help the students.  I somehow doubt she will be able to line the seat herself.  The toilet paper will either blow off when she tries to climb on top of the seat or fall off when she is scooting her bottom around.  I'm so grossed out!

Re: grossed out with child using public potties.

• jc&catjc&cat member
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't necessarily equate preschool toliets with "public" restrooms like at the mall or ballpark that have insane turnover and are full of people and germs. Not saying there are not germs in school restrooms but I think (I'd like to think :))  the cleaning is managed appropriately for a school.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • They may not help IN the bathroom but they should help to make sure proper hand washing is happening after every.single.time. That has to count for something, right?

Bathrooms gross me out too.

Little Slick
    Born 6.26.10
    Forever a Family 11.26.12
  • Loading the player...
  • I read a blog once where I thought it was hilarious that she pointed out that the hover/crouching people are the ones responsible for getting the seats dirty in the first place. In schools, no one is hovering on the toilets, they're just sitting on them so unless they have some kind of something on the back of their legs that can be transmitted from one kid to another (?) before even going to the bathroom, I wouldn't worry too much. They wash their hands after (assuming). Teach your LO to take a little TP and wipe the seat off before going if you're worried. 

I totally don't get grossed out by that stuff. There's more crap on the door handles than the toilet seats in a preschool.

• I have had to use the bathroom at my son's elementary school and am VERY grossed out by it! Yuck!

I have a put a LOT of time into teaching DS how to wash his hands properly.... that's about the best I can do!

Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageVTbride05:

I have had to use the bathroom at my son's elementary school and am VERY grossed out by it! Yuck!

I have a put a LOT of time into teaching DS how to wash his hands properly.... that's about the best I can do!

i totally forgot about boy potty gross ness...was just picturing the girls all sitting lol. I think elementary school bathrooms are probably way grosser than preschool but by elementary they're old and big enough to avoid nastiness. My dd at under 4 won't use he potty at daycare I someone has forgotten to flush or left anything behind!  

• I am not trying to make you feel bad about your feelings or worse about toilets. But they sell those toothbrush cleaners for a reason.

Every time you flush your own toilet, feces and urine (which is actually  sterile unless the person has an urinary tract infection) ends up everywhere.  On your toothbrushes, on the handle of the door. On the towel you wipe your just freshly washed hands on.  On the floor that you walk across and out into the rest of your house. 

Hell, there was a study once (I read it in a magazine and cannot find it online though) where someone did a comparision between public toilets, women's purses and shoes.  The bottom or women's purses had more nastiness then the public toilets or shoes.  

Even mythbusters did an experiment and proved that there is feces everywhere.  https://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/fecal-matter-on-toothbrush.htm

Again, I am not trying to freak you out MORE, but show you that even in your own home, you are not "safe".  You can never ever be clean and you do not want to be really.  

So just breath and remember that this is just part of growing up, and gaining a stronger immune system.  

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • imageIlumine:

I am not trying to make you feel bad about your feelings or worse about toilets. But they sell those toothbrush cleaners for a reason.

Every time you flush your own toilet, feces and urine (which is actually  sterile unless the person has an urinary tract infection) ends up everywhere.  On your toothbrushes, on the handle of the door. On the towel you wipe your just freshly washed hands on.  On the floor that you walk across and out into the rest of your house. 

Hell, there was a study once (I read it in a magazine and cannot find it online though) where someone did a comparision between public toilets, women's purses and shoes.  The bottom or women's purses had more nastiness then the public toilets or shoes.  

Even mythbusters did an experiment and proved that there is feces everywhere.  https://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/fecal-matter-on-toothbrush.htm

Again, I am not trying to freak you out MORE, but show you that even in your own home, you are not "safe".  You can never ever be clean and you do not want to be really.  

So just breath and remember that this is just part of growing up, and gaining a stronger immune system.  

so true and don't the gas station pumps always come up as the dirtiest of everything? I don't use purell a lot but I do keep it in he car for after pumping gas lol.  I think doorknobs are probably way dirtier than the top of a toilet seat.

• imagegroovygrl:
    imageIlumine:

I am not trying to make you feel bad about your feelings or worse about toilets. But they sell those toothbrush cleaners for a reason.

so true and don't the gas station pumps always come up as the dirtiest of everything? I don't use purell a lot but I do keep it in he car for after pumping gas lol.  I think doorknobs are probably way dirtier than the top of a toilet seat.

This.

And studies have shown that your cell phone is as dirty as a toilet seat... and you've got it on your face. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedande2129:
    imagegroovygrl:
    imageIlumine:

This.

And studies have shown that your cell phone is as dirty as a toilet seat... and you've got it on your face. 

Not to mention hand it to your kid to play with to pass the time. LOL. I am pretty sure I'm not supposed to but I periodically use lysol/clorox wipes to clean my phone & ipad screens.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"