VBAC

What to ask the doc

emmy236emmy236 member
Hi, I'm new to this board and I wanted to know what I should ask my doctor at my 6 week PP appointment that's coming up. I'm a FTM and ended up going 9 days past my due date. Normally my practice doesn't let you go past 41 weeks but my 41 week fell on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend so they had me in Friday and BP was up but after sitting there for an hour it went to "acceptable levels". They told me they were holding off until after the holiday weekend and to come in Tuesday. Well Monday night everything went wrong. Long story short is my placenta had shut down and I had zero fluid. My son had minutes to live and I had a horrific emergency c section. Luckily the high risk surgeon from my practice was there and both my son and I are ok.

Now my husband is livid and doesn't want me to go back and to find new doctors. I like my practice and if was the NP who was the one who didn't want to send me in at that last appointment. I have my PP with a doctor I like so I want to make sure I'm still ok and to get new BC but what questions should I ask about my future and having more babies? I'm only 27 and otherwise healthy. I want to try for another baby in 1218 months but I'd like to try for a VBAC.

Re: What to ask the doc

• skioskio member
    I'm so sorry you had a traumatic experience. It can take a toll when things get scary and don't go as planned.

I personally suggest taking some time to recover and grieve the experience before going crazy asking questions at the OB or considering changing. You're both angry and emotional right now. Feel your feelings and give yourself a little time.

No harm in asking your OB what their rec is for time between deliveries and whether they'd consider you a good VBAC candidate. But again, don't sweat the small stuff yet. When you're feeling better about this birth, start doing your research and compiling a list of what questions you want to bring up at your next appointment. Some things to consider are induction methods, hospital policies, how far past due you can go, etc.

Congrats on your son!
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with PP -- make sure and take time to work through things.

If I had had my follow-up appointment with my original OB practice, I would have wanted to make sure I understood WHY I had to have the c-section and if there would have been anything I could have done to avoid it. However, I moved and never saw that OB department again, so I never got to talk to the MW on duty about the things I questioned about the delivery. (I was convinced she could have done more to help me progress, and it took me over a year and a half to realize that there probably wasn't. That was a year and a half of unnecessarily blaming her for what happened.)

Maybe go back through what happened, from the appointment up through the c-section, and make sure that you understand what happened and why. Maybe ask for a copy of the report from the operation so you can read through that yourself.

Make sure and ask what they recommend as the minimum time between deliveries, as well as if your incision and everything will be okay for a VBAC.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"